Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello, I had my sleeve surgery on May 29, 2016. I started at a high weight of 540 pounds and am currently at 319. Here are my questions:

1. I already have a lot of hanging skin, did anyone get a surgery in between the end surgery to get rid of hanging skin? It's already giving me trouble on my stomach.

2. How long did you wait to get plastic surgery?

3. Did anyone lose the amount of weight I have to lose (over 300 pounds)? What was your skin situation like?

4. Has anyone had to date before having this extra skin removed? Did it make it harder? I am 30 and am trying to date but it is hard, I am very embarrassed with my body. It's odd, I felt more confident in my body while dating when I was heavier than I do now...

Thanks for any responses!

I have heard of people having intermittent surgeries. Consult your team and maybe a couple PS. It seems this would be covered by insurance which would be sweet. PS that specialize in after WeightLoss would have the more answers than I. In the meantime congratulations on your weight-loss take care of yourself physically and emotionally.

Stella

@Stella S Thanks! My surgeon's office did tell me I could get a consultation at a PS office to see what they say. I have one set up I was just curious if anyone else had it done in between! I'm also worried the pain will be so bad I won't want to get it again!

I waited until I was at goal for a while. I can understand you wanting to look into it though and hope you get the answer you want ! I was off pain meds after 7 days, longer than normal as I had five procedures done at once. Certainly wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and I am very pleased with the results.

Congratualtions on the weight loss !

Kate

@_Kate_ Thanks for your reply! What procedures did you have done? I usually have trouble after surgery. I was on 4mg of Dilaudid every 4-6 hours for 3 weeks after my sleeve surgery. :(

Procedures as signature

Thigh Lift in October - He wouldn't do it the same time as all the rest.

Then I can go straight back to my Victoria Secrets Modelling lol :P

Thanks!

Haha! Boy do I wish I would ever look that good!

I've heard it from my surgeon, and many others that a good plastics surgeon will not do a procedure until you're at goal weight and maintaining for a bit. The biggest reason being that you could wind up needing a revision done to what you've already had. This puts more strain on the body and of course costs more. Most insurances do NOT cover plastics as they deem it as cosmetic surgery. So check into that before assuming it does (not saying you are).

I honestly heed to this advice. As much as I already want my excess skin gone, I am waiting til I'm at goal (and personally until after I have kids) to get it done because I don't even currently know how I'm going to afford it once, let alone a second time. Plus, I've followed the journey of a few different wls patients who had plastics and while some seem to bounce back quickly, not everyone is that fortunate and it can take weeks and even months of recovery.

For me, I use Spanx to help. I don't always need them just depending on what I'm wearing, but they come in handy.

@MissKay Thanks for your reply! I definitely understand and have had the same thoughts. I worry about having the skin surgery and then having kids which would just stretch it out again! I just invested in some Spanx but they aren't holding up as much as I would have thought they would for $76!! I wore the one for the first time yesterday and When I took it off it had stretched larger than the one I didn't wear. I'm worried it will stretch too much that it won't be helpful anymore. :(

It's amazing how successful you have been so far. I'm really glad I clicked on and read through this post because it's inspiring to see the success others have. I am sure you will be successful in making it to your goal.

I can't and won't tell you not to have the feelings you are about your body image and the after effects of getting healthy quickly, I will only say that you look beautiful and I am sure there are other men who feel the same way I do.

@Jackson53 Thank you so much. It is really hard to deal with body image issues. I appreciate your compliment though! Very sweet!

You have made amazing progress, congrats!!

Although, I only lost 180 lbs, I have a friend who lost several hundred pounds. She had an abdominoplasty during mid-weightloss. She talked to several board certified plastic surgeons who were willing to do the surgery on her with the understanding that she would very likely need a revision once she reached her goal weight. She was able to get insurance to cover the mid-weightloss surgery and it gave her such a boost in self confidence. About 3 years after she reached her goal weight, she did indeed have a revision and so much more. Her outside now matches her inside and she couldn't be happier.

Good luck!