Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Possible revision to sleeve from band

Hello, everyone. I am a long time stalker, first time poster of this forum. I got the lap band in 2012 at 302 pounds (my heaviest ever, at the time.) After getting banded, I lost 35 pounds but I had to fight for every ounce to come off. I never felt like I was in the ‘green zone’ that the clinic continually talked about. I went in religiously for fills but never felt like I could eat small portions only three times a day and be satisfied. I even questioned my sanity and if head hunger really had that much control over me. After a year and only 35 pounds lost, when I needed to lose at least 150 pounds, the NP told me that I could not get any more fills. I was experiencing some stuck episodes but the NP said that my band was already at 8cc’s in my 10cc band and it wouldn’t hold any more Fluid. So I left bawling. Here I was – a year out from surgery, having paid out of pocket for this device that didn’t do bunk to help with the hunger like it claimed to.

So, I quit. I stopped eating healthy, I stopped trying, I stopped caring. I did that for a year and kinda maintained my 35lb loss but that was it. I eventually went to my primary care doctor who wanted me to start Metformin ER, but they are massive horse pills and because I needed the extended release, I couldn’t crush them. So I went back to my clinic and had all the fluid removed to take the Metformin. Well, long story short, I’m now sitting at 325 pounds. So I’ve gained back the 35 I lost in 2012 and have since packed on an additional 25 pounds.

Last month, I had family in town and many people taking pictures - full length, unflattering angles, kinds of pictures - and posting them online. I had a coming to Jesus moment when I literally didn’t recognize myself. I’ve never seen myself as big as I am. Last year, I had two friends get the vertical sleeve and both get phenomenal results. I’m finally ready to take care of myself and finish what I thought I started in 2012. I’ve contacted the clinic that both of my friends went through and have a consult set up for next Monday. Does anyone have any advice or a similar story? I am almost frozen in fear when I start thinking that because the band failed for me, the sleeve will too. I cannot pay out of pocket for a second bariatric surgery and not get results. I don’t think I can mentally survive that.

I have only had the sleve, so I can't really answer your questions but just wanted to welcome you to BP.

I am sure there are people here who can help and support you with a revison decision.

Kate

I had a great amount of success with the band, but lost, gained, lost, gained....I ended up having issues eating anything healthy. No meat or veggie would go down without pain and I was only at 2cc in a 10cc band. I also never reached "green" so I ate slider foods....5 weeks ago I was sleeved and I couldn't be happier! I can eat healthy without that horrible "stuck" feeling. 25 lbs down so all is good so far! It is such a different experience! I still deal with head hunger, but I'm better at thinking through it and evaluating it properly. I also was put on metformin XR for PCOS. I have been off of it since surgery! Good luck on your journey!

Banded 2010 weight:327

Sleeved 12/28/16 weight:253

CW: 228 GW: 155

Heather in Texas

I would think long and hard about this decision. I had the revisions and coming to terms to accept my decision. It's incredibly difficult. I need to stop wishing I could go back in time.

You can't reverse this like the lapband. That might sound good...but what ig something goes wrong.

Acid reflux issues are real and they impact your life quality.

Your young, can you live for the next 40 or 50 yrs without the majority of your stomach?

Is it rational to destroy a healthy organg for weight loss when regain is real. Ppl do regain.

All the best

10 hours ago, ladonnaf said:

Is that a reality acid reflux forever? Honestly?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using the BariatricPal App

There are risks with all of the procedures. It's something you have to consider that could very well happen, but also many, many people have no issues at all. Some people like to make it sound like it happens to every single person that has had surgery.

@alli.wakefield my story is almost the exact same as yours. I got my bad in the same year and everything. I had the revision to the sleeve done on December 27,2016. I feel like it was the best decision I could have made. I had severe reflux with the band, but not with the sleeve. I can eat healthier foods, that got stuck with the band. My weight at surgery was 332 and I am at 297 as of today. I have lost 35lbs in a little under 2 months. I truly couldn't be happier with my decision.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I also think the revision is a good idea for you. Even if you want to take more time considering, I highly recommend you get the band removed. It isn't helping, and it will likely cause complications down the road (like slippage, etc).