Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I am potentially going to be scheduled for the Gastric Bypass procedure for the month of March. I have been told that with any of the procedures that there are risks of course, including risks for complications. I know each person is different, but is there anyway to say that with strict discipline and strict paying attention to doctor's orders post-op, and with strict discipline/strict paying attention to the nutritionist's guidelines, is there any true way to strategize post-op life so that complications never come up? I understand that "anything can happen", but as weird as it is for me to ask this, I would also like to think that it is possible to strategize the unthinkable so that complications never arise. Cause you would think that if you pay strict attention to the rules from your Doctor and your Nutritionist, that you have some control of the potential negative challenges that arise due to Gastric Bypass. Does anyone have an answer to this? If not, are you going to tell me that no matter what you do, no matter how perfect you follow the rules to a tee, you can't control certain elements?

Thanks,

Gabriel

Good luck on your upcoming surgery. Life is full of risk. I had RNY gastric bypass surgery because I was overweight and my obesity began to seriously affect my health and my life expectancy. A am 3 1/2 years post-op and having the surgery was one of the best decisions I ever made.

But it sounds like you are focusing on minimizing complications. So prior to surgery you might create or update your will. Generally this type of surgery is probably on the same order of danger as most types of operations today. There is the risk of blood clots, so make sure you wear compression stockings after surgery and take the prescription blood thinner medicine and walk, walk, walk. There is a risk of ulcers, so make sure you stay away from NSAIDs such as aspirin and also use a proton pump inhibitors (such as Prilosec) for the first year post-op.

The three most important elements after RNY gastric bypass surgery are to meet your daily Protein, Fluid and Vitamin requirements. food is secondary because your body is converting your stored fat into the energy that drives your body. Thus you lose weight. So the focus post surgery is on Protein, Fluid, Vitamin, exercise and meal volume control in order to minimize risks.

Pre-surgery I would recommend the following:

1. Take a good before photograph of yourself, so that you have something to compare to after surgery. Many times we are blind to our obesity. We do not see ourselves. Therefore when the weight begins to drop off rather dramatically, we question if this is really happening. Photographs are a good visualization of our success. Many people carry a before and after photo with them, just to remind themselves of their success.

2. Walk 30 minutes each day, every day until surgery (or equivalent exercise). Walking helps the recovery process go smoothly and minimized the pain levels from surgery.
3. Wean yourself from caffeine and carbonated beverages now. After I gave up my 6 diet coke a day habit, I suffered from a week of severe withdrawal syndrome consisting of severe headaches and body aches. I was miserable. You don't want to combine the effects of caffeine withdrawal with the effects of surgery.

Everything said above! My doctor also told me walking 2 to 3 miles every day two weeks before my surgery has had good outcomes! I don't know where he got that from but I'm guessing the healthier you can be before the surgery the better.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Before surgery I cut out sugar and caffeine and started taking Biotin and increasing Protein. What I wish I had done more of is exercising/building muscle strength, practiced eating slowly, and made a list of things I wanted to do when I lost weight (instead of getting rid of negative aspects of being overweight). As mentioned taking pictures and measurements can be very motivating.

if you follow all the rules you will reduce your chances of having complications however there is no guarantee. however with out the surgery you are almost promised continued weight gain and complications later on such as hbp high chol and diabetes as well and heart problems personally id rather take my chances with the surgery than face all the health issues that come from obesity. good luck to you

I followed the rules for the most part and had little complications. I also had a good surgeon and good post op care which I think all contribute but so does being a good patient and taking meds and following Instructions. U will get gas pains so bring gasx strips to hospital to use. Give up pop coffee booze and take Vitamins for 2 months before surgery. Also start with the Premier Protein shakes at least 3 months prior to surgery to build up a food reserve of nutrients. I am very happy I did the surgery and wish I had done it sooner.

My personal story

I had RNY bypass on 10/10/16 following every rule to the T! 13 days post op I woke up in tears Saturday morning, was not able to tolerate a Protein Shake for the first time and it was accompanied by nausea, no vomiting. I went to the gym thinking it was gas pains, nope it got worse. I called my surgeon in tears and he told me to immediately go to the ER. I get to the ER I was in so much pain I was in fetal position and no pain killer would take my pain away! At this point they did blood work and a CT scan of my abdomen everything came back NORMAL! The doctor started saying it was something I had eaten wrong! (I was following my plan to the T) Well the doctor in the ER wanted to discharge me and send me home. I'm a nurse, I said no, something is wrong! Well the surgeon decided to keep me over night just for "observation" I slept the night pain free, when I woke up in the morning the pain had come back. At 12 o'clock the surgeon finally came to see me. At 4:30 in the afternoon I was being prepared for emergency surgery for a diagnostic laparotomy with possible vowel resection. Well it took the surgeon to open me up, to find that I had an intestinal stenosis....he had to reroute my entire bypass! Moral of the story, listen to your body! I could have died from that complication! And with every procedure there is always a risk of complication!