Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I hate protein shakes

Have you tried Isopure? It's expensive but it's very different than a shake. It's watery and fruity, super low calorie, zero carb, super high Protein. I love it! You can get it at GNC.

Sent from my XT1585 using the BariatricPal App

What flavor did you try? I went to my Vitamin Shoppe and they only had one flavor and I think it was raspberry something. I did not like it at all. It tasted like medicine almost. Really similar to what a 5-hour Energy tastes like. But yes, definitely expensive. Just curious what flavor you tried to see if I might can try or find another one. Thank you!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using the BariatricPal App

The Blue Raspberry is the only one I don't like. But the other flavors are somewhat similar, except for the tea one. So if you really hated that one you probably won't love the others.

Sent from my XT1585 using the BariatricPal App

It was definitely the Blue Raspberry one that I tried. It was icky!! Thanks for letting me know. They are really too expensive to do too much experimenting with.
I drink the grape one, just because it was the cheapest one on Amazon. I think it tastes fine.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using the BariatricPal App

GENEPRO has been the best Protein supplement I have found.

It mixes into literally everything hot or cold with no issues and you can't beat 30 grams of Protein a pop!

I buy mine on Amazon.< /p>

Sent from my VS500 using the BariatricPal App

GENEPRO has been the best Protein supplement I have found.

It mixes into literally everything hot or cold with no issues and you can't beat 30 grams of Protein a pop!

I buy mine on Amazon.< /p>

Sent from my VS500 using the BariatricPal App

My doctor tells his patients absolutely no genpro. He says he's done studies and patients that use it don't lose the weight. Iv never tried it so I don't know. They tried selling it to me at GNC but I wouldn't buy it.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I have pretty vocal about my distaste for genpro and nothing has happened to change my opinion of it. There were some pretty vocal supporters of it in the past, but most of them are gone for one reason or another. If you will allow me to quote myself:

I find the best way to prepare GENEPRO is to make sure the lid is on tightly and then chuck it in the trash. The makers of that stuff are about as shady as they come. They say their magical process reduces the size of Protein molecules! In their own words:

This process allows for immediate absorption/uptake into the system which bypasses the intestinal digestive system by 94% (compare this to whey isolate that has an absorption rate of only 31% - making Genepro more than three times more effective than any other protein on the market).

They are saying their 10g of special protein is equivalent to 30g whey.< /p>

I believe this says it best about Genepro:

>

I'm going to use the figure given here for the mean density of proteins:

1.22 g/cm3 is the mean density of Proteins they get; the range though is no higher than 1.57 g/cm3.
Let us assume for the sake of argument that this product is pure protein, and instead of being a powder it's a perfectly packed solid material (i.e. no air between powder particles).
We know 1 tablespoon=14.79 cm3.
Therefore, 1 tablespoon of protein should have 18.04 g of protein (in a perfect situation where there's nothing else in the mix, which is basically impossible).
To give some comparison, the density of Water is 1 g/cm3, and let's just say for ease that 1 tablespoon=15 g/cm3. For a tablespoon of that protein to contain 30 g of protein, it should feel twice as heavy as tablespoon of water.
To be 30 grams of protein, the density would need to be at least 2.03 g/cm3. Pure aluminium is somewhat close for reference, at 2.70 g/cm3.

Long story short, they are selling lies. Most likely they are selling BCAA's and calling it protein. Do yourself a favor and buy a reputable protein brand. Gold Standard is good brand. There are so many manufacturers that lie on their labels, you almost have to look them up and see how many lawsuits they have against them before you buy!

If their process was true, every other maker out there would be following suit because it is such a cutthroat business. The fact that most retail chains refuse to carry it is evidence of the company's reputation.

I find the best way to prepare Genepro is to make sure the lid is on tightly and then chuck it in the trash. The makers of that stuff are about as shady as they come. They say their magical process reduces the size of protein molecules! In their own words:

This process allows for immediate absorption/uptake into the system which bypasses the intestinal digestive system by 94% (compare this to Whey Isolate that has an absorption rate of only 31% - making Genepro more than three times more effective than any other protein on the market).

They are saying their 10g of special protein is equivalent to 30g whey.

I believe this says it best about Genepro:

I'm going to use the figure given here for the mean density of proteins:

1.22 g/cm3 is the mean density of proteins they get; the range though is no higher than 1.57 g/cm3.
Let us assume for the sake of argument that this product is pure protein, and instead of being a powder it's a perfectly packed solid material (i.e. no air between powder particles).
We know 1 tablespoon=14.79 cm3.
Therefore, 1 tablespoon of protein should have 18.04 g of protein (in a perfect situation where there's nothing else in the mix, which is basically impossible).
To give some comparison, the density of water is 1 g/cm3, and let's just say for ease that 1 tablespoon=15 g/cm3. For a tablespoon of that protein to contain 30 g of protein, it should feel twice as heavy as tablespoon of water.
To be 30 grams of protein, the density would need to be at least 2.03 g/cm3. Pure aluminium is somewhat close for reference, at 2.70 g/cm3.

Long story short, they are selling lies. Most likely they are selling BCAA's and calling it protein. Do yourself a favor and buy a reputable protein brand. Gold Standard is good brand. There are so many manufacturers that lie on their labels, you almost have to look them up and see how many lawsuits they have against them before you buy!

If their process was true, every other maker out there would be following suit because it is such a cutthroat business. The fact that most retail chains refuse to carry it is evidence of the company's reputation.

Ugh... the damn thing double quoted for some reason. Sorry.

As I said though, there are people on this board that swear by it because their blood test came back good after their 6 month or whatever. However unless you are talking more than a year, that could be from breaking down their own muscle tissue or the fact that they are getting the minimum needed from their diet to be in the normal range. GENEPRO is pretty much just BCAA's (amino acids that build proteins). That would leave Protein markers in the bloodstream.

Now, with all of that being said. If someone chooses to use it, it's no skin off my nose and doesn't matter to me one way or another.

@@pixiechick & @@savyourdvine1 - I hope the cake thing works out for you guys. There is no way I could hit my Protein goals all the time through just food alone like some. I am guessing their protein goals are far lower than mine at 2 years out and lifting heavy. More power to them though!

I am almost 2 years out and I still cannot stand Protein drinks. Hate them. The first year they did make me want to vomit, now they are just gross but I can stomach them. If it were not for the Protein cake I never would have made my protein goals though.
It looks like everyone so far that has posted are pretty new, so maybe they aren't familiar with the protein cakes either. It's really simple though. In a big coffee cup or a small bowl add one scoop of Protein Powder. I use Gold Standard whey, but you can use whatever whey you want. It needs to be whey though. Add just enough coffee creamer to turn it into a batter. Add one half teaspoon baking powder (not soda). I microwave mine for 25 seconds for a lava cake type consistency. Others will go for about 45 for a fluffy cake.
If I am feeling really fancy, I use my add Peanut Butter to the batter and "ice" the cake with plain yogurt.

Can't wait to try this!

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I too can't stomach Protein Shakes. I had no problem before surgery, but now they literally make me sick. I am only averaging 60g of Protein, when I need to be at 70g.

On 2/5/2017 at 2:17 PM, BigViffer said:

I am almost 2 years out and I still cannot stand Protein drinks. Hate them. The first year they did make me want to vomit, now they are just gross but I can stomach them. If it were not for the Protein cake I never would have made my protein goals though.

It looks like everyone so far that has posted are pretty new, so maybe they aren't familiar with the protein cakes either. It's really simple though. In a big coffee cup or a small bowl add one scoop of Protein Powder. I use Gold Standard whey, but you can use whatever whey you want. It needs to be whey though. Add just enough coffee creamer to turn it into a batter. Add one half teaspoon baking powder (not soda). I microwave mine for 25 seconds for a lava cake type consistency. Others will go for about 45 for a fluffy cake.

If I am feeling really fancy, I use my add Peanut Butter to the batter and "ice" the cake with plain yogurt.

Sounds like a plan! Thanks for the idea!!!