Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone use Dr Carlos Altamirano Cano in TJ?

Had a video call with him the other day and he seems like a nice dr, knowledgeable, 4000+ surgeries under his belt. But all the posts I've seen about Mexico none of them are with him. Just worried I should be looking at other Drs more?

Any info would be helpful. Thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

He's on the list of surgeons we do not reccomend. He has a great personality is lacking as a bariatric surgeon. We know of many many patient complication, horror stories and even fatalities. There are so many great surgeons to chose from. I'd stay as far away from him as possible.

Well of course I am sorry very to hear that. I had read the instance with the poor fellow who had a heart attack. That is never a good thing to have on your record, however I can understand that sometimes things happen.

I have looked for the bad reviews of this Dr and I cannot seem to find any other examples? I'd like to see the many patient complications and horror stories, as you said. I want to be fully informed.

If this Dr is not "up to par" which one would you consider to be the best? Or maybe the top 5?

Thank you!

Things do happen, and of course with any surgery there is risk. I think what severed the ties between BP and them was their lack of preparedness in the situation, their lack of bedside manner, their lack of stepping up and realizing that they did wrong by their patient. I went with Dr. Illan and every 30 minutes for the first couple hours I was checked on. They actually told my boyfriend not to help me up if I needed to stand up or move around, to get them right away if I needed to do so. I had monitors hooked up, and they were all very attentive and took vitals often. I honestly got annoyed with how often because it prevented me from sleeping a lot of the time. But I'm glad they did because it did make me feel at ease and knowing that they had my best interest at heart. I'm not going to say, "no, don't use him, you're stupid if you do", because to each their own. I just urge that you dig, do lots of research. Not just him, but other surgeons as well. Prices may vary, but sometimes you get what you pay for, and this is your health and your life in the hands of the surgeon and their team that you choose. You want to make sure and have faith that they're great and able to return you without part of your stomach and that's it.

If you do look into others, my personal recommendation is Dr. Illan, he was my surgeon, and his entire team is fantastic. They're even at a better hospital now than when I had my surgery, so you'd be getting a bit of a treat.

I've heard great things about Dr. Jaime Ponce as well.

Things do happen, and of course with any surgery there is risk. I think what severed the ties between BP and them was their lack of preparedness in the situation, their lack of bedside manner, their lack of stepping up and realizing that they did wrong by their patient. I went with Dr. Illan and every 30 minutes for the first couple hours I was checked on. They actually told my boyfriend not to help me up if I needed to stand up or move around, to get them right away if I needed to do so. I had monitors hooked up, and they were all very attentive and took vitals often. I honestly got annoyed with how often because it prevented me from sleeping a lot of the time. But I'm glad they did because it did make me feel at ease and knowing that they had my best interest at heart. I'm not going to say, "no, don't use him, you're stupid if you do", because to each their own. I just urge that you dig, do lots of research. Not just him, but other surgeons as well. Prices may vary, but sometimes you get what you pay for, and this is your health and your life in the hands of the surgeon and their team that you choose. You want to make sure and have faith that they're great and able to return you without part of your stomach and that's it.

If you do look into others, my personal recommendation is Dr. Illan, he was my surgeon, and his entire team is fantastic. They're even at a better hospital now than when I had my surgery, so you'd be getting a bit of a treat.

Thank you very much for your input. I'm very conflicted with all this because I have read/watched so many reviews of Dr A that talk about how attentive he was, how his staff was always checking on them making sure they got what they needed etc. I don't know, I'm just having a hard time seeing just ONE bad case and so many good ones. If I could see other "horror" stories maybe that would make it easier for me to decide. Price is def not an issue, I am ok with paying more if it means better care.

Well thanks again for your reply I do appreciate it!

Thank you very much for your input. I'm very conflicted with all this because I have read/watched so many reviews of Dr A that talk about how attentive he was, how his staff was always checking on them making sure they got what they needed etc. I don't know, I'm just having a hard time seeing just ONE bad case and so many good ones. If I could see other "horror" stories maybe that would make it easier for me to decide. Price is def not an issue, I am ok with paying more if it means better care.

There wasn't just one incident. He's left surgical sponges and needles inside patients. He's also lost operating privelages in most of the hospitals in Tijuana. It's your life we are talking about. Don't take a chance and regret it later.

Just be carefull bc paying more does not mean better care, ive read a few stories of ppl that have gone to a more pricey dr and got bad treatment so only look at the surgeon, hospital etc. I was looking into Dr. A.C. As well but i never got my skype call, never followed up in email either so i didnt see any interest in their part and i also read that he isnt supported by this bariatric organization but ultimately do your research and good luck to you

There wasn't just one incident. He's left surgical sponges and needles inside patients. He's also lost operating privelages in most of the hospitals in Tijuana. It's your life we are talking about. Don't take a chance and regret it later.

What I mean by one incident is that, that is all I have read or been able to find. Would you be able to put me in contact with patients that have had a bad experience? Or at least maybe show me a message by them or something? I'm not trying to cause trouble or anything, I honestly want to read or hear about these cases. Thanks again for your help!

On 2/5/2017 at 5:20 PM, TerraJo said:

What I mean by one incident is that, that is all I have read or been able to find. Would you be able to put me in contact with patients that have had a bad experience? Or at least maybe show me a message by them or something? I'm not trying to cause trouble or anything, I honestly want to read or hear about these cases. Thanks again for your help!

You can reach out to @Bill Yanez . You can email him at (bill@bariatricpal.com) or call him toll-free (844) 957-3325.

He's on the list of surgeons we do not reccomend. He has a great personality is lacking as a bariatric surgeon. We know of many many patient complication, horror stories and even fatalities. There are so many great surgeons to chose from. I'd stay as far away from him as possible.

Honestly Alex I can't believe you would sit there and write such a comment. I was with BP when all this went down with Dr. A. No there hasn't been many complications, horror stories, nor fatalities by the hand of Dr. A. Dr. A has a huge amount of followers and patients. He is one of the best Dr.'s in the world. Keep spewing your hate and you will continue to loose support. And to be honest heart attacks happen. You go into surgery knowing that anything can happen and this didn't even happen during surgery it happened after surgery!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

I've watched his surgeries live. Where do y'all get your sources?

No one said it happened during surgery, I in fact stated that of course there's some risk. But the treatment of the patient after surgery with no help, no one following up with them and what the family reported is horrifying. If you deny that, then you're just simply in denial.

Alex has no reason to lie, and I don't see that it's possible you've watched every single one of his surgeries so I doubt you've seen whether or not he's performed perfectly on every single one. Let alone the treatment of the patients once they're post-op in the hospital and under his team's care.

I agree it'd be nice to see and read the other stories for information purposes, but Alex also doesn't have a reason to lie. It's preposterous of you to jump right to that.

No one said it happened during surgery, I in fact stated that of course there's some risk. But the treatment of the patient after surgery with no help, no one following up with them and what the family reported is horrifying. If you deny that, then you're just simply in denial.

Alex has no reason to lie, and I don't see that it's possible you've watched every single one of his surgeries so I doubt you've seen whether or not he's performed perfectly on every single one. Let alone the treatment of the patients once they're post-op in the hospital and under his team's care.

I agree it'd be nice to see and read the other stories for information purposes, but Alex also doesn't have a reason to lie. It's preposterous of you to jump right to that.

My reply was for Alex not you, but I personally don't care what you want to believe. Dr. A is a fantastic doctor and I'm glad I have him. Good day

Honestly Alex I can't believe you would sit there and write such a comment. I was with BP when all this went down with Dr. A. No there hasn't been many complications, horror stories, nor fatalities by the hand of Dr. A. Dr. A has a huge amount of followers and patients. He is one of the best Dr.'s in the world. Keep spewing your hate and you will continue to loose support. And to be honest heart attacks happen. You go into surgery knowing that anything can happen and this didn't even happen during surgery it happened after surgery!

I stand behind what I posted at http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/363291-bariatricpal-is-no-longer-affiliated-or-recommending-dr-carlos-altamirano-cano-and-guadalajara-hospital/ . We worked with Dr. A because he was young and very driven. He got a little popular and started becoming sloppy. While we worked with him, he lost privileges at two hospitals for not following protocols or putting patients lives in danger. After we stopped working with him he got kicked out of other hospitals. These are facts. He does have a great personality but is lacking as a surgeon. I wouldn't reccomend him to anyone. I'm very glad you had a good experience but I stand behind what I originally posted.

Um plus there's this: