Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Revision from Gastric Sleeve to Gastric Bypass-due to acid reflux?

ren0318

I had Sleeve in 2011.I had Bypass Nov. 22,2016 due to acid reflux. I will never regret it.No acid reflux and more weight loss too.I was afraid of bypass the first time around.Now I wish I would have had it to begin with.No problems so far.Lost 32 lbs.You will lose slower.

Oh thank you! I needed to hear that. I was so scared of bypass, but know it is my only option now!

So I got my test results back from my PH balance test. Anything over 14.72 is an issue; my score was 75.25!! I don't see my surgeon until March 6th, so I'm thinking a revision for sure is coming!

Wow! Looks like you have found the problem. I have completed all of my testing and a request has been submitted to insurance. I see the surgeon on the 23rd to schedule. I am feeling better about it all, or am just so sick of the acid that I just want it to end.

Bear hugs, I was wondering are they having you do the liver shrink diet beforehand?

They have not had me on one as of yet. I may have to do something once surgery is scheduled, but as it stands right now, I weigh 147lbs. The nutritionist has mentioned having to add calories to me early to keep me from losing too much.

I got my approval and date today for my revision. What did I get in return? The most intense bought of reflux I have had in a month. Just a reminder of why I am doing this. April 10th can't get here fast enough!

ren0318

I had sleeve in 2011.Then in 2015 acid reflux that kept getting worse.In Nov 2016 i had Bypass.I will never regret it.I was really concerned that if reflux kept getting worse that my esophagus would be compromised and I would have to have a feeding tube in my old age.Hope this helps.I still take 20 mg omeprozole for first 6 months then I will be fine.So far no issues.

ren0318

I had sleeve in 2011.Then in 2015 acid reflux that kept getting worse.In Nov 2016 i had Bypass.I will never regret it.I was really concerned that if reflux kept getting worse that my esophagus would be compromised and I would have to have a feeding tube in my old age.Hope this helps.I still take 20 mg omeprozole for first 6 months then I will be fine.So far no issues.

Thanks for your encouragement! Your spot is where I am right now. I was nervous about the bypass, but am getting less so as I get closer. I just need this acid gone!

II had my appointment today, it looks like I'm headed to revision --sleeve to bypass! I'm still letting that sink in. When Dr. Noria performed my endoscopy, my test showed that my acid levels were at 75.3!!!! Anything over 14 is acid. My body naturally produces high amounts of acid. I've not achieved full remission of my diabetes either. And I'm back on a blood pressure pill and a Satin..She seems confident that this is the right move. My highest weight before surgery was 234LBs, I lost 15lbs on the liver shrink diet, and I've only lost 38lbs since I had surgery ( I a not minimizing the 38 lbs. I know that any loss is good, but I think you know what I mean). I was a lower BMI before I started but to get my BMI to under obese I still need to lose 30lbs! She feels the revision will do the trick. I pray she is right!. Now we will wait for insurance approval and move on to what's next.

ren0318

@ren0318 I am so glad that you are moving along on this! Wow, that is a lot of acid. Good luck on the revision process.

GmaDiana

Thanks for the response! So you've not had any issues then? That's great. Where were you weight/health wise before you had the revision? Was anything different eating wise afterward? The Dr. said my pouch might be much smaller...

Thanks Bearhugs for the words of encouragement!

ren0318

No I haven't had any more acid reflux problems at all.I was at 240 when i had the revision ,I have lost 43 lbs now.my taste buds have change more.I used to love Diet Coke.I tasted some one day all I could taste was a chemical flavor..Have to make real sure I take small bites and chew a lot.I did have 2 partial knee replacements after the sleeve ,so I didn't exercise as much. Now I can walk and exercise..i really feel it if i don't get my Protein and keep up Fluid intake now.My goal weight is 150 for now.Working hard to get there. Don't know your age but i'm 62..Stay in touch.

It seems like you're all set for your revision. I just wanted to share why I eventually opted for RNY over the sleeve.

I initially really, really wanted the sleeve. I suffered from mild to moderate GERD with a hiatal hernia. My doctor strongly advised against the sleeve because of this. He said patients with GERD fare much better with the bypass in the long run, and that those who get sleeved usually have to have the revision done within five years. This occurs even after their GERD issues seemingly disappear. You didn't mention if you have a hiatal hernia, but I did. He also said that while the hernia could be repaired if I got sleeved, it would also likely reoccur within five years. The reason why bypass works so much better compared to the sleeve is because your small intestines anchors the new stomach pouch, preventing it from slipping back up through the diaphragm and causing acid reflux.

When my approval went through, it was for the sleeve. Ultimately, I didn't want to risk having a revision in a few years. I wanted this to be one and done. I asked about just repairing the hernia separately later on if I got sleeved and was told hiatal hernia surgery itself is a much more major surgery with greater complications and risks than any weight loss surgery. My surgeon also pointed out that even those who get sleeved still have to take Vitamins for the rest of their lives, so there really isn't much difference. I also want to lose as much weight as possible to allow for natural and reasonable weight gain that comes with aging. Bypass weight loss gives you more wiggle room to work with. So I changed my mind and had my paperwork resubmitted for RNY. I didn't have to meet any additional or separate requirements; it was only the matter of updating the insurance code. I'm now 4 days post-op and I don't regret my decision at all. :)