Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Revision from Gastric Sleeve to Gastric Bypass-due to acid reflux?

nocturnalgemi, Thanks for the response! No, I didn't have a hernia, thankfully. I was afraid of the bypass. I'm not sure why exactly, other than reading horror stories and letting my imagination get the best of me. I had GERD before surgery...however, the surgeon that did my endoscopy (not my gastric surgeon, but one of her peers) said, "oh you are fine to have the sleeve."

I also have been a diabetic for almost 17 years. Before the sleeve I was on an insulin pump, taking huge amounts of insulin every day, but it didn't do any good. I was able to get off the insulin pump, however, I still have diabetes, I take an oral medication and my family Dr wants me to add another oral med....

I'm have lost about 38lbs since I had my sleeve in Sept 2014, I was a lower BMI when I started but I still need to lose at least 30 lbs! Granted recently I've not been as disciplined as I should have been, but I don't even feel any restriction at all anymore, makes me sad.

I NEVER imagined that I would need a revision, it didn't even cross my mind....some days I wonder if it's worth going through with it, but I can't give up!

I should have had the RNY to begin with, this is what I get for being such a baby! Please keep in touch, I would love to see your progress!

nocturnalgemi, Thanks for the response! No, I didn't have a hernia, thankfully. I was afraid of the bypass. I'm not sure why exactly, other than reading horror stories and letting my imagination get the best of me. I had GERD before surgery...however, the surgeon that did my endoscopy (not my gastric surgeon, but one of her peers) said, "oh you are fine to have the sleeve."

I also have been a diabetic for almost 17 years. Before the sleeve I was on an insulin pump, taking huge amounts of insulin every day, but it didn't do any good. I was able to get off the insulin pump, however, I still have diabetes, I take an oral medication and my family Dr wants me to add another oral med....
I'm have lost about 38lbs since I had my sleeve in Sept 2014, I was a lower BMI when I started but I still need to lose at least 30 lbs! Granted recently I've not been as disciplined as I should have been, but I don't even feel any restriction at all anymore, makes me sad.
I NEVER imagined that I would need a revision, it didn't even cross my mind....some days I wonder if it's worth going through with it, but I can't give up!
I should have had the RNY to begin with, this is what I get for being such a baby! Please keep in touch, I would love to see your progress!

That's odd the other doctor cleared you for the sleeve given your reflux issues. My endoscopy confirmed mine, as well as the hernia. I think you'll do well with RNY. From what I've heard, diabetes clears up within a couple of days with bypass. That alone would have been motivation enough for me but I didn't have any comorbidities. I had the surgery to prevent it, as it runs on both sides of my family. As for the horror stories, I'd rather take the chance to get healthy than to die without even trying. I think everything will turn out for you just fine! I'll be happy to keep you updated!

So far, my recovery has been pretty easy, especially compared to others. My pain level hasn't been more than a 5, and that was today because I slept on my side the wrong way. Otherwise, it averages a 3. I haven't had any nausea. I walk 2-3 times a day. Walking has helped with gas a lot. I switch to pureed foods this coming Tuesday. I'll keep you posted on what I can and can't tolerate.

Sent from my SM-G920T using BariatricPal mobile app

That's odd the other doctor cleared you for the sleeve given your reflux issues. My endoscopy confirmed mine, as well as the hernia. I think you'll do well with RNY. From what I've heard, diabetes clears up within a couple of days with bypass. That alone would have been motivation enough for me but I didn't have any comorbidities. I had the surgery to prevent it, as it runs on both sides of my family. As for the horror stories, I'd rather take the chance to get healthy than to die without even trying. I think everything will turn out for you just fine! [emoji4] I'll be happy to keep you updated!

So far, my recovery has been pretty easy, especially compared to others. My pain level hasn't been more than a 5, and that was today because I slept on my side the wrong way. [emoji51] Otherwise, it averages a 3. I haven't had any nausea. I walk 2-3 times a day. Walking has helped with gas a lot. I switch to pureed foods this coming Tuesday. I'll keep you posted on what I can and can't tolerate.

I am so glad to hear you are doing well. My revision is scheduled for Monday the 10th. I am still freaking out a little!

I am so glad to hear you are doing well. My revision is scheduled for Monday the 10th. I am still freaking out a little!

I'm sending positive vibes your way! [emoji178] It's scary not knowing how things are gonna go. I was much better once they gave me what I call "happy juice" through my IV to help me relax. Just try to remember the revision is a good thing: not only will you lose a few more pounds but you'll also feel better overall!

Bearhugs, wow that is in like two weeks! You'll do fine, but I know what you mean about being nervous! Is your Dr making you do the liver shrink diet before surgery?

Revision is in 2 days. To say I am not nervous is an understatement! No pre-op diet other than Clear Liquids and view prep tomorrow. I really hope this works!

bearhugs1975, how did it go??

1 hour ago, ren0318 said:

bearhugs1975, how did it go??

All and all it went wonderful! I had my surgery 3 weeks ago. The first week was rough dealing with the drain, but once it was removed all was good. As for reflux, I haven't had it at all since waking up from surgery!!!! It is so freeing, I hadn't realized how much it was dragging me down. Doc wants me stay on the Nexium 20mg instead of 40mg for one year to help with healing, but I haven't had any issues (even when I forget for a couple of hours). As for weight loss, well this one is getting me. I only had 30lbs to get to bare minimum for me. I am halfway there now. I am getting a little worried about that. My doctor has advanced me to puréed a week earlier than he normally does and then soft this week which is also a week early. Let's hope it slows because as it stands now I am down a pant size a week.

Awesome! Congrats! Drink up those calories ;) ... for now...

1 hour ago, bearhugs1975 said:

All and all it went wonderful! I had my surgery 3 weeks ago. The first week was rough dealing with the drain, but once it was removed all was good. As for reflux, I haven't had it at all since waking up from surgery!!!! It is so freeing, I hadn't realized how much it was dragging me down. Doc wants me stay on the Nexium 20mg instead of 40mg for one year to help with healing, but I haven't had any issues (even when I forget for a couple of hours). As for weight loss, well this one is getting me. I only had 30lbs to get to bare minimum for me. I am halfway there now. I am getting a little worried about that. My doctor has advanced me to puréed a week earlier than he normally does and then soft this week which is also a week early. Let's hope it slows because as it stands now I am down a pant size a week.

That's great! Can you tell if you feel more full than before? So this is what's happening on my end..my insurance (Cigna) denied, the jejunectomy that was submitted by the Surgeons office submitted, they said that jejunectomy was not consider a true fix of acid reflux!! So I called the Dr. this morning to find out if they perhaps left something out of the request that was needed. However the lady the answered the phone said it might be Thursday before I hear back. The lady that answer the phone said that procedure is approved for acid, so she was not sure what happened. The person that filed it would have to call me back.

2 hours ago, ren0318 said:

That's great! Can you tell if you feel more full than before? So this is what's happening on my end..my insurance (Cigna) denied, the jejunectomy that was submitted by the Surgeons office submitted, they said that jejunectomy was not consider a true fix of acid reflux!! So I called the Dr. this morning to find out if they perhaps left something out of the request that was needed. However the lady the answered the phone said it might be Thursday before I hear back. The lady that answer the phone said that procedure is approved for acid, so she was not sure what happened. The person that filed it would have to call me back.

I do feel fuller than before, but not too much difference in Fluid intake or such. I had no problems with fluid intake in hospital to the point they were telling me to slow down and sip. I learned a new way to swallow to not upset the sleeve and it is second nature. This doesn't feel any different. I hope that your insurance issues get worked out as the freedom from reflux is AMAZING! Keep me posted.

I got my approval and date today for my revision. What did I get in return? The most intense bought of reflux I have had in a month. Just a reminder of why I am doing this. April 10th can't get here fast enough!

I feel your pain. I had some testing done that showed I was having 96 episodes of reflux in a 24 hr period. I have had aspiration pneumonia multiple times. I even went into respiratory and renal failure due to aspirating. I had bypass done 2/21/17. I had gained quite a bit of weight after an accident. Due to both factors, bariatrics was suggested by my pcp. This surgery was nothing that I would have considered had it not been for the reflux. I had multiple complications after surgery. From 2/21-4/7, I was only home 6 days. I was admitted on 4 separate occasions. I am finally feeling somewhat normal again. I have to be very aware of what I eat because I still have pain under ribcage dependent on the food. Good luck to you.

Bearhugs1975, I finally got approved today!! They all calling tomorrow with all the details!

How are things going with you? Did your losing slow down?

Edited by ren0318

1 hour ago, ren0318 said:

Bearhugs1975, I finally got approved today!! They all calling tomorrow with all the details!

How are things going with you? Did your losing slow down?

That is wonderful news! Things are going well with me. Weight loss has slowed down, but is still happening. I was advanced through the stages quickly and I am eating pretty much as I was before now. I will be 2 months out on the 10th. Best thing is that I have not had any incidences of reflux!!!! I hope that everything else goes quickly for you!