Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Terrified of gaining

So i'm officially 100 pounds down, but still have a ways to go. This is the most confident i've ever been in my life and i feel absolutely amazing. Recently, however, as i've been healing and able to eat more and test out new foods, i find myself absolutely overwhelmed and terrified of gaining even a single pound back. i stick to my diet and exercise everyday, but occasionally (and i mean rarely) slip up and eat something i shouldn't or skip a workout. Gaining weight now consumes my every thought. I may sound like a cry baby but i just don't know what to do! It is so overwhelming and sends me to panic mode. I know i'm not perfect, but i'm trying my very best to be. Any advice or words of encouragement??

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I feel the same way. 106 pounds down now. It's been 10 months since my sleeve. I am always worried that the weight will come back. I like you stick with my food plan and exercise. I'm not giving up. I like the changes in my body. I like the way I feel now. I feel so much better.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Congratulations on your weight loss. It is important to maximize your weight loss during the weight loss phase by following the program guidelines. Soon you will slide quite naturally into the maintenance phase. One hundred pounds down - you have accomplished a lot and should be proud of yourself.

Hey! Way to go!! When was your surgery?

I'm with you in the terrified of regaining camp. I have put so much work into this change, as I'm sure you have!

Not sure if it will help but this is what I'm doing.

Focusing on staying on the plan. Instead of focusing on my scale as much, I'm focusing on my number of active minutes and being consistent with my workouts. (I love my fitbit.) I'm focusing on more consistent mile times and enjoying my workouts. This outlook is helping me with my current stall. I'm feeling stronger physically and not so defeated when the scale doesn't move because I'm doing what I can.

Eating is a little tricky for me for a lot of reasons. I'm trying to focus on giving my body the macro nutrients it needs and paying attention to how different foods taste and make me feel. Mindful eating.

In some ways, I'm the same person I was before and in others ways not so much. So I'm also trying to figure out who I am now. And how to make good habits and a better relationship with food part of that new identity.

I feel like this is all very vague and unhelpful. So I hope some people who have done this longer can give you some better feedback. Keep going and recognize how far you've come. All the best!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using the BariatricPal App

First of all - Congratulations on the weight loss - to all of you. I know how hard you've been working and what determination you have. I also know really really well the fear you are facing. I was in the same place 12 years ago. My surgery was 13 years ago this month. I lost 170 lbs and have managed to keep it off - Yeah!

I was really afraid of re-gain those first couple of years - especially as my appetite came back. I've roller coastered a bit at times but have managed to stay within about a 15 lb range. Don't let the fear stress you out because that can act as a push into old eating habits. Here's a few things I did to help me stay stable.

I changed my eating habits drastically in that first year while I could. I cut out all sugar, went low on the grains, stopped all fast food with the rare exception, and went organic. It was easy to do that in the beginning when I was v. motivated because I kept thinking long term.

I set up good solid exercise routines - doing things I liked like biking, dancing, swimming and walking. I continued to do those things because I liked them. I didn't get on the treadmill or exercise bike because I didn't like them and knew I wouldn't keep it up. I also set up and have continued to do a simple weight training routine.

I got help when I needed it - used the professionals in my program but also went outside for psychotherapy and life coaching.

Lastly I worked hard at not freaking out when I did gain a pound or 2 or even 10! I'd just do an inventory of where I was getting slack - esp. with the rules of the pouch - and trusted myself to get back on track, even if it took me a few days or even a week. I didn't freak out, go into despair and start that downward spiral of beat myself up, eat more, beat myself up more, eat more, etc.

This is all simply put here but I put in a lot of work and time and continued vigilance yet learning to let go and enjoy life up to this day. I know I'll never gain back that weight. Good luck to all of you. The fact that you are concerned and looking long term is a great sign that you'll make it!

Gail: thanks for your words of encouragement, they are appreciated. It's great to hear from someone with years of experience in keeping weight loss.

I can ditto every word Gail said!! I can understand being terrified of weight gain but it may happen, as it did for me, and I've managed to not go crazy and gain everything back. I lost 65 lbs in a year, and gained 15 back after putting my dog to sleep. I didn't go off the deep end, just made bad choices because I didn't care about anything but my grief. Now I'm back on track and losing again. I'd like to be back where I was at my one year follow up appointment, at my two year in June. Then maybe lose the last ten. No matter what, this surgery was a success for me, and I'm exactly where I need to be. I learned a LOT about myself through all this, especially about why I always turn to food, and am continuing to learn.

What is your diet plan?I was good weighing in to 110 for 16 years,Then all of a sudden I am up to 190!No it wasn't gradually it was within 6mo.Went to Dr.and also my gastrointestinal Dr. What the heck?My little stomach is there,Can't figure it out,Was there answers. So maybe my friends can help!PLEASE

Really good advice Gail! Unfortunately I didn't do the same. I haven't gained but my eating is not always the best and I'm still trying to lose 10 - 15 pounds. I'm getting there slowly but I live in fear of gaining and know I have to smarten up with my eating. My working out is consistent I'm okay that way. I don't want to waste this incredible opportunity I've worked so hard on. I've lost 130 pounds.

First of all - Blondie66 - rarely do any of us have the eating down perfect. If you think you could do better maybe start by changing just one small thing, get that in place as a habit and then another small thing to change. Most of us can't change everything at once - it's too overwhelming. If you've kept the weight off you must be doing a lot of things right!

Lindairene - that's a big change to make in a short period of time. The first thing I'd probably do is look carefully at what changed in the last 6 months. Did eating patterns, types of food, or amounts of food change? Did your exercise routine change? Did you go thru hormonal changes? etc. Once you know what changed then you can work on changing them back. If nothing changed then it probably is a matter for the medical professionals. If you're having a majorly hard time changing things back then it might be good to get counselling or some coaching. Good luck?