Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Planning to go to Mexico for sleeve revsion to MGB

Planning to do this. Had sleeve in Nov 2012. Have gained some weight back. Never met goal. Went from 222 to 162. Goal was 145. What is your experience with recovery time? I am planning to go to Mexico. Planning to use A Lighter Me...Dr. Ortiz.

I had the sleeve in 2011 and lost 88 pounds. Then I gained about 40 and had really bad acid reflux and could not lose the weight. So I went back to Mexico in March 2016 and had the revision to mgb. I will say the sleeve was a breeze and I felt like I didn't even have surgery. The mgb was not bad, just a little discomfort. The main difference I noticed was with the sleeve I had plenty of energy and with the mgb I was really tired for about 2 or 3 weeks. I'm a police officer at a hospital/university and I walk several miles a day and frequently have to fight or restrain mental or drugged out patients. I took 3 weeks off with the mgb and I was fine. If you have an office job you could probable take 2 weeks off and be fine. My starting weight with the sleeve was 257 and it was 199 with the mgb. I'm currently about 160. My goal was 150 but I work out a lot and I've went from a size 16 to a size 8/10 since the mgb so I'm pretty happy if I stay where I am.

I had revision from sleeve also, surgery was Thursday night, I flew home Saturday and went back to work Tuesday. My energy was very low but I managed. I ended up with double pneumonia (prob from the flight home) but had it not been for that which kept me feeling crappie for about 4-5 weeks I would have been fine.

thank you. It looks like you lost about 60 lbs in 7 months. that's a good pace....I didn't have any issues with the sleeve. Sleeved on Thursday and was back at work that Tuesday...I was a little tired....but I could have gone back that Monday. I am trying to plan it out whereas I can get the surgery on a Saturday and go back to work the following Monday. Does that sound doable. I know everyone is different...

I had the sleeve in 2011 and lost 88 pounds. Then I gained about 40 and had really bad acid reflux and could not lose the weight. So I went back to Mexico in March 2016 and had the revision to mgb. I will say the sleeve was a breeze and I felt like I didn't even have surgery. The mgb was not bad, just a little discomfort. The main difference I noticed was with the sleeve I had plenty of energy and with the mgb I was really tired for about 2 or 3 weeks. I'm a police officer at a hospital/university and I walk several miles a day and frequently have to fight or restrain mental or drugged out patients. I took 3 weeks off with the mgb and I was fine. If you have an office job you could probable take 2 weeks off and be fine. My starting weight with the sleeve was 257 and it was 199 with the mgb. I'm currently about 160. My goal was 150 but I work out a lot and I've went from a size 16 to a size 8/10 since the mgb so I'm pretty happy if I stay where I am.

Some places won't release you that fast, especially when you are flying home so it will be more an issue with the docs requirements, also, I've had band, sleeve and now MGB, I will say it was the worst of the 3.

I had an MGB on a thursday, flew home sunday, went back to work thursday. I was totally fine, walking a lot, and recovery was not an issue at all.

Energy wise, if you forget to eat, you WILL be tired, I almost passed out because I was running on a Protein shake only.

Good luck, I had a band before, SUCKED. I'm 10 days out and already love how low maintenance the MGB is <3

Whatever you decide please don't rush yourself. I'm not sure about the MGB. But I can say with all honesty I had the RNY and it does take time to get your strength back and you are very tired at first. Plus learning a whole new way of eating (actually drinking LOL) I would try to wait as long as you can because my hubby had the Sleeve in Mexico and he did great, but he did get weak. The good thing is after your surgery the airport (call ahead) will get a wheelchair for you so you can get around threw the air port. They are huge!! Plus because he had surgery we were let on the plane first. That was very nice. As we went thru customs they have a differnt side they let you go thru much quicker too. Just be sure you are ok going back to work , you don't want to set yourself back to much. Good luck. I still would like to know what the difference is with the RNY and the MGB. I guess I wil have to look it up. Again Good uc

Do you all mind sharing with me which doctors you used in Mexico? Right now, I am looking at Dr. Ortiz at ALm and Dr Ismael Jonathan Vazquez at Bariatric Select. I can't find much on Dr Ismael Jonathan Vazquez.

Dr. Rodriguez is wonderful and operates in a full service hospital which you stay at the whole time.

I was scheduled with Dr. Illan and had really researched him and his patients all love him. But the morning of my surgery Dr. Illan's appendix ruptured and he had emergency surgery. He gave me the option to fly home and come back later or he had another Dr. who was willing to do my surgery. I trusted him and let Dr. Zavalza do my mgb that day and I have had no problems. I would trust either Dr. I do know Dr. Illan is very good about being in contact with his patients and he is my go to person if I have any questions. He is awesome.