Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Common Channel Traditional DS

I am trying to determine which surgery would be the best for me specifically in terms of recovery, long term success and weight regain.

Does anyone have any thoughts about the traditional DS with a longer common channel? I guess I'm the most concerned about malabsorption and its long term effects.

I'm only 29 and I plan on having children one day so it's certainly something I worry about.

The traditional DS with the longer common channel does provide more absorption of foods, vitamins/minerals. Therefore, there should be fewer issues with possible Vitamin deficiencies, gas and/or stool issues. If you don't have the longer common channel, many of those can be helped by following a strict vitamin/mineral regimen, blood tests, and what to eat and when. I can't say whether or not a longer common channel will definitely prevent any of those issues.

With the traditional DS with the longer common channel; as you don't have the increased malabsorptive component, it may be more difficult to keep the weight off.

I know you wish to have children. Many DSers I know of child-bearing age, seek out high-risk ob/gyns to ensure their pregnancy is a good experience for both the mother & child. The recommendation after a DS is at least 18 months before trying to have children.

Edited by Postop

I am trying to determine which surgery would be the best for me specifically in terms of recovery, long term success and weight regain.

Does anyone have any thoughts about the traditional DS with a longer common channel? I guess I'm the most concerned about malabsorption and its long term effects.

I'm only 29 and I plan on having children one day so it's certainly something I worry about.

I'm a week out from surgery I got the modified DS (which I'm sure is the same thing you're talking about because my common channel is longer) but my recovery was really easy. I work and I am in graduate school. I took 2 weeks off of work but honestly could probably go back now, as for school I only needed a week off but could have gone back by my 4th day. My surgeon suggested the switch for me because my weight loss goal, the weight I'm at now (BMI 59.4) and he does test for your metabolism and mine is significantly low. He told me if I were to get the sleeve he doesn't think I would be happy with the results, so I went with the switch. So far my gas is pretty foul smelling (tmi but it's a little like sulfur) but I don't have too much gas, my bm's however aren't smelly at all (that could be due to me still being on liquids). However, I do get pretty fatigued but my body just went through something traumatic so that's expected, but so far I'm very happy with my DS:)

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

What is your BMI? That will help focus the discussion....

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using the BariatricPal App

What is your BMI? That will help focus the discussion....

My BMI is 51.2. I just found out my insurance doesn't even cover the DS if your BMI is under 50 and since I'm losing weight now, it seems as if the choice will be made for me..

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

The DS is a really aggressive surgery. Since your BMI is kinda borderline...

You could go with the sleeve, leaving the possibility to convert later if necessary. (But many insurances wouldn't be happy to do a conversion).

Or the bypass, which is "one and done".

The DS is extremely effective at losing you weight, but it can also be effective at leaving you malnourished, and the Vitamin regimen can get expensive.

My BMI is 47, so I'm not in your shoes. Even if I was 3-4 points higher, I wouldn't consider the DS for me.

I have insurance, but there may end up being too many hoops. I'm considering going to Mexico to get the sleeve.

If I do it locally with insurance, I'll do the bypass.

The DS is a really aggressive surgery. Since your BMI is kinda borderline...

You could go with the sleeve, leaving the possibility to convert later if necessary. (But many insurances wouldn't be happy to do a conversion).

Or the bypass, which is "one and done".

The DS is extremely effective at losing you weight, but it can also be effective at leaving you malnourished, and the Vitamin regimen can get expensive.

My BMI is 47, so I'm not in your shoes. Even if I was 3-4 points higher, I wouldn't consider the DS for me.

I have insurance, but there may end up being too many hoops. I'm considering going to Mexico to get the sleeve.

If I do it locally with insurance, I'll do the bypass.

My choice has always been the sleeve. I only began considering the DS after speaking with my surgeon.

I agree it's an incredibly aggressive surgery and I'm certainly concerned about being malnourished in the future.

Honestly, things are up in the air until it comes to submit to insurance which won't be until late April.

My BMI is 51.2. I just found out my insurance doesn't even cover the DS if your BMI is under 50 and since I'm losing weight now, it seems as if the choice will be made for me.

Generally, insurance will use your first visit weight or, if there is documentation, your highest weight. They do not go by your weight at the time of submission for insurance approval.

My BMI is 51.2. I just found out my insurance doesn't even cover the DS if your BMI is under 50 and since I'm losing weight now, it seems as if the choice will be made for me.

Generally, insurance will use your first visit weight or, if there is documentation, your highest weight. They do not go by your weight at the time of submission for insurance approval.
Thanks for the info!

Hi @amazon_gets_fit! It appears we are going to the same surgery center, I recently had my first appointment with Dr Sharp. Like you, I thought I knew I wanted the gastric sleeve until my surgeon explained the DS. Now I'm not sure. I want this to be a permanent solution, but my main goal is to feel healthy and fit again, so the malabsorption issues scare me too, as well as possibly having bowel issues after surgery.

I've been doing lots of research and found this site today, I'm glad to see there is a community here to get firsthand information from.

Best of luck on your journey!