Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi. I had sleeve on 1/16/17, and I had zero problems. No pain and no complications. I am 68, and the main reason I wanted to lose a lot of weight is because of a bad back. I cannot stand for long, and walking is not easy. I am really hoping losing weight will help my back! Anyone with same problem?

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Hi! I too have back issues. Severe lower back and sciatica pain comes and goes. I'm 7 weeks post op and my recovery has been very good, no complications ......until this week. Hurt my back at the gym doing some light weights. I tried so hard to not over do it. In severe pain last few days. Saw chiropractor for an adjustment, going back again Monday. My PCP prescribed a prednisone pack to help with inflammation since ibuprofen is not allowed for now after surgery. And ice. It's funny, losing the weight is expected to help reduce these episodes - but I gotta get through this to resume exercising. Been feeling discouraged- but hopefully this too will pass!

HW 236, SW 226 (Sleeved 1/12/17), CW 203, GW 136

Kar12345, I feel for you! Take care. Back pain can prevent us from doing so much, and I don't know about you, but I get really depressed about it. I have degenerative discs, and was using a walker most of the time. Since surgery I can go on short walks without it. My dr. Is sending me to physical therapy, where I get on the anti gravity treadmill. Seems to help.

Thanks brch! PT has helped me through a few times - depending on how this goes, I might be back at it. Great progress on your walking!! PT will surely help!! And we will both lose lots more weight, and take all that strain off our backs!! Haha!

Have a bad back and have had chronic pain and nerve problems for a few years. The surgery has helped me immensely! I can do so much more, so much more freedom. So much less pain.

Tens units can be helpful, also Salonpas are amazing if you can handle the adhesive Patches.
Exercises and PT are essential too. Best of luck and I hope this helps you.

All the best :)

Hi. I had sleeve on 1/16/17, and I had zero problems. No pain and no complications. I am 68, and the main reason I wanted to lose a lot of weight is because of a bad back. I cannot stand for long, and walking is not easy. I am really hoping losing weight will help my back! Anyone with same problem?

Hey! Being overweight has caused me many jobs. I'd try part time jobs, but loose them because I was just too much of a pain, to me physically and the boss emotionally, to successfully do these jobs.

I'm 60 and had sleeve August 16. Have lost 55 lbs in total. I have chronic lower back pain due to degenerative discs. For past 6 weeks have been swimming 3 to 4 times a week and cardio/strength at gym 1 to 2 times per week. Getting stronger despite continued pain and mobility greatly improved. Domes nearay crawl to pool but walk straight after a 30 minute swim ! x

I'd suggest maybe X-Rays/MRIs or something. I had fractured in my L5/S1, some pretty mild arthritis but extremely severe pain that's had me getting facet joint injections every 3 months, and about to do a procedure to see if I can do an ablation instead to burn the nerve root every so and such amount of months. Getting the X-Ray done was the start of figuring out there was severe problems needing to be treated. I imagine for people in the 60s likely a higher chance of arthritis which doesn't go away.

I had x-rays and MRI. I have degenerative discs. Back probably injured from dealing with hubby's wheelchair. Physical therapy not helping much. Shot didn't work. That is why I thought losing weight would be helpful.

I had my sleeve surgery on Jan 26th 2016 2 days after my 60th birthday. After having lost 180 pounds on my own and yet still having to lose another 140+ pounds I thought the surgery would help my back problems too. Since the surgery I have lost about 100 more pounds and I am in just as much pain as before. I had tried the facet joint injections every 3 months, and they did the burning of the nerve roots years before I had the sleeve surgery. I was so hoping and praying the extra weight lost from the sleeve would make it easier to walk. However within 5 minutes of walking I have to sit down. Therefore I use the electric mobility device to this very day.

The spine doctor said I had to have all my excess skin removed and be at my goal before he would do back surgery. I am about 40 pounds from goal and was suppose to have excess breast skin removed on March 21st but that surgery was cancelled 13 hours before my scheduled time. Now I am waiting for a biopsy. If you have herniated discs (4 of them) and spinal stenosis like I do I doubt the weight loss will make a difference. Would love to become friends with you but I can't figure out how to send a request. However feel free to send one if you know how. I will be following your progress and truly hope the weight loss will help you as I know how difficult it is to live with this kind of pain.