Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One Month Post-Op - Gastric Bypass

I'm one month post-op and I'm thrilled with the results thus far.

HW: 324

SW: 297

CW: 270

Total weight lost: 54 lbs!

Lost since surgery: 27 lbs!

Here I am two days before starting the pre-surgery diet weighing in at 324 (I was down to 314 only two weeks before this was taken, but I gorged on all of my favorite foods in those last two weeks).

post-306778-0-41441700-1485713515_thumb.

I was just cleared from my 10lb lifting restriction and started P90X this morning. To prevent injury, I'm easing in to it for the first few weeks until I get my endurance and strength up to where I can really push it. I've done the program a few times in the past and have been very successful, but the weight came right back on as soon as I stopped, and then some. That's how I ratcheted up to 324 lbs. The surgery is going to help me keep it off.

post-306778-0-89215300-1485713590_thumb.post-306778-0-02792000-1485713597_thumb.post-306778-0-53300900-1485713602_thumb.

Inches lost:

Chest: 6 inches

Belly: 7 inches

Waist: 7.25 inches

Butt: 7.5 inches

Thighs: 1.75 inches each

post-306778-0-41441700-1485713515_thumb.jpeg

post-306778-0-89215300-1485713590_thumb.jpg

post-306778-0-02792000-1485713597_thumb.jpg

post-306778-0-53300900-1485713602_thumb.jpg

Edited by smaller

Congrats! You are looking great. I am almost 6 weeks post-op. I've been walking at least 3 times weekly for the past 3 weeks. Each week, I've increased distance and speed. Feels good to push myself a little bit more each week without being exhausted.

HW 325

SW 258

CW 229

Thanks, hikerdog. Your numbers are impressive, especially the presurgery numbers.

My daily commute gets me a minimum of 2 miles in a day. I walk another 2-3 miles during lunch and a mile after dinner. It's been 10 years but I'm going to lace up my hockey skates and have a go at some pickup hockey this Friday. Cross your fingers I don't hurt myself. I played competitively growing up but an injury and the weight gain that ensued has mostly kept me off of the ice for 19 years. I played in few leagues off and on but I re-injured myself 10 years ago and haven't gone back. The new me is inspired to try it again.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

My limited knowledge of hockey but it looks brutal. Definitely be careful. I like the idea of goals related to physical activity. By summer, I hope to tackle some longer hikes in the TN mountains.

I'm a goalie. Never one for the violent aspects of hockey. The injuries were a result of lack of stretching. I tore my adductors. Goalies have to be flexible. I started stretching this week to limber up before the ice time.

I'd love to hike the mountains in Tennessee. I've always wanted to walk the Appalachian Trail after reading "A Walk in the Woods."

I'm a goalie. Never one for the violent aspects of hockey. The injuries were a result of lack of stretching. I tore my adductors. Goalies have to be flexible. I started stretching this week to limber up before the ice time.

I'd love to hike the mountains in Tennessee. I've always wanted to walk the Appalachian Trail after reading "A Walk in the Woods."

That's a great book. I think about that book when I see bears out in the woods. I hope to do some day hikes on the AT this summer.

Here are some other pics. The pics on the left are the day before I started the presurgery diet. I was 324. My surgery was on 12/27/16. The pics on right are from today, 1 month and 4 days after surgery. I am currently 269. My goal weight is 205. But with all the jiggly parts, especially my upper legs, which I always thought were more muscle, I'm thinking I can get below 200.

post-306778-14859244727095_thumb.jpg

post-306778-14859244950217_thumb.jpg

post-306778-14859245131639_thumb.jpg

post-306778-14859245239871_thumb.jpg

Edited by smaller

Thank you, healthyliving23. It does feel pretty good. I know what you mean by feeling "blah." It gets better when you start the pureed foods.

The first week was okay for me, as far as pain management. I went in on the afternoon of 12/27 (a Tuesday) and was released in the late afternoon on 12/28. I took my Norco until 12/30 and just pushed through the pain after that, which wasn't bad. I started walking the morning after surgery on the hospital floor and the day after I was released I walked about 1.5 miles over three walks around my neighborhood.

By two weeks out I was averaging between 5 miles a day, with highs of up to 9 miles a day. Every day I have felt better.

Week three was a little frustrating (the week 3 stall), but I tried to keep it all in perspective and look at the total weight lost.

The only side effect is from the anti-ulcer medication or the anti-gallbladder medication they make you take for three months, which causes me to get slightly dizzy if I'm squatting, like when looking in a lower cupboard for 30 seconds or more. At least, that's what I'm hoping is causing the dizziness. Both meds have dizziness listed as side-effects, but there are a lot of variables at play here.

I have lost 28 lbs since surgery in five weeks and total of 55 lbs in 8 weeks since starting the presurgery diet. Here's the rate I lost it:

Three week presurgery diet: 27 lbs

one week out: 13.5 lbs

two weeks out: 4.5 lbs

three weeks out: 2 lbs

four weeks out: 4 lbs

five weeks out: 4 lbs

Edited by smaller

Ahhh...thanks for the response! Congratulations and thanks for the information. You did great immediate post op. I'm not doing that well, yet. I'm hoping to get there soon! I had to have my gallbladder removed a month before the bypass. I never really had many problems with it, but apparently it was really bad. Good thing now is I don't have to take that medication your talking about. That's no fun, glad it's just a short time you need to take it. I live in Ohio, so walks outside for me right now are out. I walk around the house and up and down stairs to move some. I know they say that's key. Thanks again for your response and keep up the good work!

Ahhh...thanks for the response! Congratulations and thanks for the information. You did great immediate post op. I'm not doing that well, yet. I'm hoping to get there soon! I had to have my gallbladder removed a month before the bypass. I never really had many problems with it, but apparently it was really bad. Good thing now is I don't have to take that medication your talking about. That's no fun, glad it's just a short time you need to take it. I live in Ohio, so walks outside for me right now are out. I walk around the house and up and down stairs to move some. I know they say that's key. Thanks again for your response and keep up the good work!

I live in the Chicago area. The winter has been very mild this year. Compared to where I grew up, it's like summer here :)

Keep up the good work on your end, too. You can do it!

Here are some other pics. The pics on the left are the day before I started the presurgery diet. I was 324. My surgery was on 12/27/16. The pics on right are from today, 1 month and 4 days after surgery. I am currently 269. My goal weight is 205. But with all the jiggly parts, especially my upper legs, which I always thought were more muscle, I'm thinking I can get below 200.

attachicon.gif ImageUploadedByBariatricPal1485924471.680220.jpg

attachicon.gif ImageUploadedByBariatricPal1485924494.033555.jpg

attachicon.gif ImageUploadedByBariatricPal1485924512.183167.jpg

attachicon.gif ImageUploadedByBariatricPal1485924523.000957.jpg

You've made a lot of progress. I can't imagine getting outside during winter in Chicago. In western N.C., we got some snow a few weeks ago. I used a snow shovel for the first time in my life. That was a good workout.

You are looking great!

How did hockey go? I hope u r not in a full body cast. I did a 2.5 mile hike today. It was awesome to have so much energy. I actually had to slow my pace so I wouldn't get too far ahead of the others. Day hikes on the AT are now a reality for this summer.