Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I want to ask a question with out offending

Ok so i have been going through so many pictures and post! And everyone has done an amazing job with there weight loss! I'm a lil taken back by PLEASE DONT BEAT ME UP FOR THIS ITS REALLY A CONCERN I DONT WANT TO LOOSE TO MUCH WEIGHT! I SEE LADIES WHO WHERE 320 and are now 150 and they look super skinny and faces look sunken in a lil makes them look older IM SCARED THIS IS GONNA HAPPEN TO PLEASE GIVE OPINIONS THIS IS NOT AN ATTEMPT TO PUT ANYONE DOWN JUST DONT WANT LOOK UNHEALTHY Sw 286

Cw 261

Gw 185

Sleeved 1/11/17

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

When it comes to faces, it does seem like a lot of us go through phases where we look a little sunken and sickly, but it does seem to even out eventually. Age seems to have a lot to do with it. For younger people, the skin and plumpness seem to bounce back eventually in maintenance. For older people, they can end up with some sagging skin in their neck and jowls.

But I will say the same thing about this as I do to the people who fear hair loss and loose skin... no one ever died from it. People die every single day from obesity-related illnesses!

My start weight was 228 my goal was 140. When I reached 158 my cousin said that I looked sick and my face was sunken in! I am 4'11! My doctor think that my weight should be 120/130![emoji15] needless to say, I'm 2 years out and 167[emoji30][emoji30][emoji30]how I wished that I was 158 again... or smaller!

A thin, 'sunken in' looking face won't kill you. Being obese will.

This is understandable.

The thing is that most people don't look sickly for long or just don't loose enough to be skeletal. Once people hit their nadir weight, things tend to even and shift. Just like @@JamieLogical said. Will you have loose skin, probably. It really isn't as bad as it may seem. I'm much happier with my saggy skin and being able to do more. Also a lot healthier.

Also sometimes people might tell you to stop loosing weight because

they are jealous,

not used to you being smaller,

not sure what a healthy weight looks like,

etc, etc, etc. The reasons go on and on.

The truth is that we are used to ourselves heavy. It just takes time for us and others to get used to us being skinny/skinnier. In time we can develop new identities about ourselves. That is really all it is. Learning to accept looking different.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using the BariatricPal App

@@krissyvsg Most WLS patients experience hair loss between 3 and 6 months post-op. How much you lose and for how long is pretty unpredictable. There are *some* things you can do to help, but it's mostly out of your control. Make sure you get your Protein, Water, and Vitamins in from the start. That's what you CAN control. I have heard over VERY few cases where people's hair didn't eventually grow back. The VAST majority of people start to see regrowth immediately once the loss stops. For me I lost some hair between 3.5 and 5.5 months post-op. It was enough for me to notice, but no one else did. It started growing back immediately. I personally think the little "baby hairs" sticking up all over when it started regrowing were more noticeable than the thinning. I cut my hair shorter so it wasn't as obvious.

My starting weight was 294. I am now 116. I NEVER thought I would be a 39 year old mom that can wear a size 0. I didn't seek that out as a goal, it just happened. My doctor gave me the goal of 135-145. I hit the top end of the goal in 9 months. It took about 3 months to lose the other 10 pounds. I started training for my first half marathon in July of last year and got down to 121 then. Even though I stayed the same weight, during that time I went from a size 6 to a size 2. I lost more weight after stopping birth control.

With all that said....how you look after is based on so many different factors. I lost 178 pounds, but have minimal excess skin. I know others that have lost 80 pounds and have LOTS of excess skin. I give credit to my workout regime in part. You cannot just do cardio, you must do weight training.

The hair loss. I experienced that starting the 3rd month through about the 9th month. It was minimal though. I have PCOS and experienced much worse before the surgery. I have been committed to getting my Protein and taking my Vitamins.

I agree with the others. Looking a certain way is still healthier than being obese or morbidly obese in my case.

At 5'9", 119 would be underweight. You definitely don't want to go that low! A normal BMI range for 5'9" is 125 to 168.

275.jpg

half.jpg

I'm only 5'4" so 108 is my cutoff for underweight. At 116 I am above that and all muscle!!!

My take is it is important to start and get to a healthier weight to decide on a final goal.

I let my body decide because when I struggled to get the last 10 off , it came right back. Since it has been 10 years, I kinda get where my body wants to stay and what is comfortable for me

Yes I exercise, drink Water ( never with meals) and eat a lot of Protein.< /p>

I still occasionally get down those 10 lbs, but they then return in a couple of months. Repeat.

I just stay a size 10-12 and am so happy to never see 270+ again!

Good luck and let us know how you do

Edited by Julie norton