Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hello all-

new to this site... okay so im a 24 year old female from NY & ive been struggling with my weight for what feels like forever.. okay, since I was 11.. practically forever though. ive been on every diet you could imagine and even had the lap band put in back in 2011.. 5 years later and got it removed because all it was doing was making me sick. truth be told- I was 18 at the time of the procedure and my whole self wasn't in it. I wasn't mentally prepared and I didn't realize that I still had to put in work.. when you're young you don't really listen to what others say and that's obviously where I went wrong. now im getting the sleeve done in hopefully 2 weeks.. if not- gotta wait til march...

my reason for writing this is because im tired. not only physically but emotionally too. im used to the stares. im used to the name calling. im used to being treated differently because of my weight. but you never really get used to feeling alone in a crowded room. no one understands!! I try to explain it to them but unless you're 300+ pounds youll never understand. one of my friends is overweight but not nearly as big as me. so she doesn't understand how it feels when im in a "bad" mood. I cant help but feel the way I do. I know that if I was at a normal weight I wouldn't be so angry all the time. im mostly angry at myself for allowing myself to get this way.angry at others for judging me and angry at my friends for not understanding. but how could they? I guess what im asking of you all is to just be there for me. to support me through the start of my journey.. or the next chapter of it. i need people who get it. im ready more than ever.. both physically and mentally. i would love a chance to get to know you all...

im angela btw :)

Hi Angela! I'm Chrissy, from NYC and just turned 25 less than a month ago :) I'm just 6 days post-op VSG

I can relate to how you feel. I gained a ton of weight after a bad relationship, depression, and anxiety. Then after gaining that weight, I gained more, all because I was so upset with myself for getting so heavy to start with. Sometimes things felt like a downward spiral, honestly like I hated the world. I was annoyed by friends who could shop anywhere, jealous of these girls on TV and social media with "perfect bodies", angry that other people would channel their energy into other things while I sat and ate. To be straightforward - I hated myself and I was so, so angry.

Now I'm nowhere near perfect, but over the 6 months of preparing myself for surgery I've been working on ME in every aspect. It's not easy, some days I have a horrible attitude and go back to self loathing. BUT it's a process, one that you deserve to give yourself time to go through. This is your journey, and it's not meant for anyone to understand. I don't even understand my own! But the point is that you're taking steps to becoming a happier and healthier you, and that's already something to be proud of!

Hey, like Kanye says, "just let me be great!"

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

wow Chrissy, thank you so much!! you definitely made me feel better. it sucks because the last 6 months I was SUPPOSED to work on me and prepare for surgery but every month that past I found myself giving another excuse. and then the last two months dealing with a tragic,unexpected death in my family didn't make it easier. My therapist through the WLS program asked me what happens if something like that happens after the sleeve. honestly.. idk. im hoping that once I get sleeved- reality will hit me. I AM mentally prepared I just have been so depressed lately.. more than ever. im scared for it. excited. all these different emotions. besides you and others here on this site- no one can relate. its just so hard not having anyone to talk to about how I feel. thank you for responding to my post. it means a lot to me. do you have an instagram lol not to be weird

Hi Angela! I'm Chrissy, from NYC and just turned 25 less than a month ago :) I'm just 6 days post-op VSG

I can relate to how you feel. I gained a ton of weight after a bad relationship, depression, and anxiety. Then after gaining that weight, I gained more, all because I was so upset with myself for getting so heavy to start with. Sometimes things felt like a downward spiral, honestly like I hated the world. I was annoyed by friends who could shop anywhere, jealous of these girls on TV and social media with "perfect bodies", angry that other people would channel their energy into other things while I sat and ate. To be straightforward - I hated myself and I was so, so angry.

Now I'm nowhere near perfect, but over the 6 months of preparing myself for surgery I've been working on ME in every aspect. It's not easy, some days I have a horrible attitude and go back to self loathing. BUT it's a process, one that you deserve to give yourself time to go through. This is your journey, and it's not meant for anyone to understand. I don't even understand my own! But the point is that you're taking steps to becoming a happier and healthier you, and that's already something to be proud of!

also good luck on your journey!! im here with you every step of the way <3

Hi Angela, My name is Victoria living in NC and I can completely relate. I STILL struggle with the anxiety of being the biggest person in the room.

I completely agree with Chrissy that this process of becoming healthier is an opportunity to work on YOU. Since I went to my first nutrition seminar on 12/28/16, I've been wholly focused on bettering me, for me. The residual positive effects of that have been great but my focus remains myself.

If you ever need a shoulder to cry on, vent to or to congratulate you, I offer myself!

aw Victoria thank you so so much! it makes me so happy that people can relate. ive been feeling very down in the dumps lately so thank you for making me feel better. I just got the phone call today that my insurance approved my surgery for next Friday, 2/10!! im so excited but also nervous :(

Hi Angela, My name is Victoria living in NC and I can completely relate. I STILL struggle with the anxiety of being the biggest person in the room.

I completely agree with Chrissy that this process of becoming healthier is an opportunity to work on YOU. Since I went to my first nutrition seminar on 12/28/16, I've been wholly focused on bettering me, for me. The residual positive effects of that have been great but my focus remains myself.

If you ever need a shoulder to cry on, vent to or to congratulate you, I offer myself!

hello all-

new to this site... okay so im a 24 year old female from NY & ive been struggling with my weight for what feels like forever.. okay, since I was 11.. practically forever though. ive been on every diet you could imagine and even had the lap band put in back in 2011.. 5 years later and got it removed because all it was doing was making me sick. truth be told- I was 18 at the time of the procedure and my whole self wasn't in it. I wasn't mentally prepared and I didn't realize that I still had to put in work.. when you're young you don't really listen to what others say and that's obviously where I went wrong. now im getting the sleeve done in hopefully 2 weeks.. if not- gotta wait til march...

my reason for writing this is because im tired. not only physically but emotionally too. im used to the stares. im used to the name calling. im used to being treated differently because of my weight. but you never really get used to feeling alone in a crowded room. no one understands!! I try to explain it to them but unless you're 300+ pounds youll never understand. one of my friends is overweight but not nearly as big as me. so she doesn't understand how it feels when im in a "bad" mood. I cant help but feel the way I do. I know that if I was at a normal weight I wouldn't be so angry all the time. im mostly angry at myself for allowing myself to get this way.angry at others for judging me and angry at my friends for not understanding. but how could they? I guess what im asking of you all is to just be there for me. to support me through the start of my journey.. or the next chapter of it. i need people who get it. im ready more than ever.. both physically and mentally. i would love a chance to get to know you all...

im angela btw :)

I swear I could have written this myself, I know exactly how you feel! It's so nice to find someone who understands the whole being alone in a crowded room thing. My friend is kind of like yours, she was overweight, but not nearly as much as I am, and she got sleeved awhile back and has been able to maintain. Some things she can relate to me about but mostly she can't. I find myself trying to explain it to her, but have come to the realization she doesn't understand and never will. Definitely know how you feel Angela! Hang in there though we're both in the step to taking our lives back:)

Hi ladies I'm also in NYC and I'm 27 going on 28 in a few months. I'm almost 2 years out and it's a constant struggle but we can all get through this together.

Hi ladies I'm also in NYC and I'm 27 going on 28 in a few months. I'm almost 2 years out and it's a constant struggle but we can all get through this together.

hey im so sorry i wrote back so late. i had surgery the 10th and im feeling a bit of regret.. when does this pass??

I am 25 years old and I have battled with my weight since I was 10 years. Though I was athletic and played sports, I was still considered overweight (problems of hitting puberty early and looking like a grown woman young).

A lot of my friends whom are over weight told would tell me that if I could not lose weight naturally then I was meant to be fat for the rest of my life. Needless to say, we barely talk now because they are not supportive. They do no understand that I do not want to live my life like this. I do not want to feel uncomfortable. I just want to be able to do really live life like I thought it would.

I am 25 years old and I have battled with my weight since I was 10 years. Though I was athletic and played sports, I was still considered overweight (problems of hitting puberty early and looking like a grown woman young).
A lot of my friends whom are over weight told would tell me that if I could not lose weight naturally then I was meant to be fat for the rest of my life. Needless to say, we barely talk now because they are not supportive. They do no understand that I do not want to live my life like this. I do not want to feel uncomfortable. I just want to be able to do really live life like I thought it would.

i can relate to you 100 percent!! no one is meant to be fat, i too for awhile thought that i was meant to be too. did you have a surgery yet or thinking about it? i was just sleeved friday!

3 hours ago, w8onit said:

i can relate to you 100 percent!! no one is meant to be fat, i too for awhile thought that i was meant to be too. did you have a surgery yet or thinking about it? i was just sleeved friday!

Omg congrats!! ☺?I am schedule for March 26th. It is exciting but nerve wrecking. I am making so many changes in my life all at once. I am like go big or go home at this point. I just don't want to spend the other half of my twenties hiding anymore.

I used to think that I was meant to be this big and I would get bigger because that was going to be my life. My dad is overweight, my older brother is husky, my grandfather was overweight, my greatfather was overweight and the list goes on. I come from a long line of obesity but I wanted to stop it at me. I wanted diabetes and heart disease to stop with me.

I am hoping that I can. It is just sad that my friends cannot understand were I am at.