Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why am I One week post op and feel like I never had RNY?

Hi! Is there anyone out there who is or has been one week post op Gastric Bypass and feel /felt completely normal? I'm not complaining and I'm not asking for complications but honestly, I'm talking no nausea, no pain, no diarrhea, no sipping of anything, no timing my eating. Everything fine! I even have an appetite!!! What the hell! No lie, today is day 9 post op and I just ate Greek yogurt with whole fresh blueberries. I ate it about an hour ago. Nothing. A little full. But fine. I was told my surgeon is a genius and that I was really lucky to have him do my surgery. Is he really that good that I feel like my stomach is still in tact? I'm not feeling any of what others are feeling. I'm a bit worried that when I heal and I'm able to eat regularly, that I'll feel safe to just eat anything and lose the control I thought I would gain from having this surgery and gain back weight!!!! Can anyone relate?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm surprise you diet allows you to have solids so close post op? Whole blueberries would not have been in my plan at that point and I had a liberal plan compared to most. Did your surgeon not provide you with portion sizes/ an eating plan?

you said you feel full after eating so I really don't understand why you are concerned?

Most people feel no restriction until after they start solids. I felt normal after surgery too. And relieved I didn't have complications that some others did, not worried.

Sounds like you are fine.

Yeah! I wouldn't have blueberries yet. Unless you cook them and mash them then mix them in the yogurt! I would just try to get Protein shakes/soups in at this point! That was me anyways. Would a yogurt have filled you up before surgery??? Just saying! :) I could eat a whole plate of Mexican food, 2 basket of chips and salsa and fried ice cream with 2 pina coladas or 2 pops and that was just dinner. LOL! Now if we go to Mexican, my husband orders the fajitas and I have just a little of the meat and veggies (about 1/2 cup)and a bite or two of Beans and I'm done! It is great that you aren't having any real issues, are you losing weight?

Yeah. Since surgery (9 days ago) I've lost 7 lbs. By the way, I WAS given a food plan. I was just feeling a bit like "Superwoman" and thought "why not have some blueberries with my yogurt?". Just had an urge to chew something I guess. Dumb I'm sure but guess what? No nausea. Nothing. Just full which is a good thing! But I'll listen to you guys. No more being adventurous. Also wanted to mention though. I've been blending baby food in my magic blender with organic chicken broth. So I've been eating chicken and vegetables with Pasta. Beef stroganoff etc. All baby food. But like I said. Turning them into liquid. Just so I can have some variety. Is this ok? By the way, I've been getting my 90 grams of Protein in every morning. Also getting in all my liquids.

Sounds like your doing fine! My surgeon just had me on liquids the first week. Then the second week I could have pureed like you are doing! I think blueberries are fine but just make sure they are very mushy with your yogurt. The 3rd week post op I could have soft mushy like mashed potatoes, cream of wheat, all Soups etc. Your doing great! :)

Yeah. Since surgery (9 days ago) I've lost 7 lbs. By the way, I WAS given a food plan. I was just feeling a bit like "Superwoman" and thought "why not have some blueberries with my yogurt?". Just had an urge to chew something I guess. Dumb I'm sure but guess what? No nausea. Nothing. Just full which is a good thing! But I'll listen to you guys. No more being adventurous. Also wanted to mention though. I've been blending baby food in my magic blender with organic chicken broth. So I've been eating chicken and vegetables with Pasta. Beef stroganoff etc. All baby food. But like I said. Turning them into liquid. Just so I can have some variety. Is this ok? By the way, I've been getting my 90 grams of Protein in every morning. Also getting in all my liquids.

RNY_ donnalisa, did u by chance go through henry ford hospital in detroit?

Sent from my SM-N920P using the BariatricPal App

No. I'm in Ontario Canada

I'm in Ontario too. My advice is keep pureeing everything. You have a scarred baby stomach...variety is good though keep experiencing with recipes etc, it keeps things interesting and will help keep you satisfied and on track. I disagree with others on the blueberries though...make sure you puree them very well.

At 3 months post op, I started having difficulty eating in the afternoon. Was burping a lot and felt uncomfortably full. This lasted till dinner, when I tried eating I threw up. A single blueberry from 2pm had lodged in my stomach and was blocking the way, it's that blueberry skin (little bugger) At 3 months post op, I was fine...at your stage....waaay too risky.

Edited by Travelher

I'm in Ontario too! Who was your surgeon? Im 5 weeks post op and also feel and felt amazing. Everything I've eaten has been good. I still don't get hungry or that full sensation which is why I make sure I measure everything and time my meals so that I don't forget to eat. My surgery was dec 21st and I. New Year's Day I ate some turkey and had no problems. I find that I can also get through a meal faster then most but I still try and take my time and chew chew chew.

I'm in Ontario too! Who was your surgeon? Im 5 weeks post op and also feel and felt amazing. Everything I've eaten has been good. I still don't get hungry or that full sensation which is why I make sure I measure everything and time my meals so that I don't forget to eat. My surgery was dec 21st and I. New Year's Day I ate some turkey and had no problems. I find that I can also get through a meal faster then most but I still try and take my time and chew chew chew.

. I'm in toronto, but travelled to Montreal to dr Christou because mine was a revision (more complex) from a band. And dr Christou is very experienced with revisions