Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calling All Veterans (at least 2 years post op)

Hi All

I'm a newbie to this site, and am currently going through the pre-op clearance process. I am 90% sure this is the decision for me (sleeve), however, I still have some doubts. What I am most concerned about is the maintenance phase of this journey. (Is it weird to have nerves about that part so early in the game??). I've just completed a 1 year cognitive behavioral program to help change my relationship with food (this will always be a work in progress--never "cured"), and see a nutritionist weekly (even before surgery consultation). I am trying to begin following some of the bariatric guidelines now (drinking Water 30 min before meals, eating slowly, chewing a lot, being mindful of meals and not multitasking/inhaling food) I'm hoping this will introduce me to the structure I will adhere to the rest of my post-surgery.

Here are my burning questions for the vets out there who've had this surgery 2 years ago or more (that are past the honeymoon phase and have had some time under their belt in maintenance):

1. Did you ever find you were subject to weight gain, even if you followed the "rules/guidelines" (monitored Protein, Water, 30 min in between h20/meals etc)

2. If you did steer off course for a bit of time and happened to gain weight---did the weight come off when you went back to the "old rules"? I guess what I'm asking here---is do/did you find weight loss just as difficult as when you were heavier?

My personal nightmare is to go through this surgery, and gain it all back. I am not a fast food eater, I don't even eat big portions. I am a sugar addict and while I often go for days without eating sugar/sugar products (flour/pasta/rice etc), I will wind up in a state where I'm binging like crazy. (Still working on this--will be a lifetime battle)

Thoughts/Pearls of Wisdom?

For me, my sleeve has worked exactly as I had hoped when I got it. I never felt I needed weight LOSS surgery. I needed weight MAINTENANCE surgery. I was always a pro at losing weight. I had managed to lose 25-100 pounds countless times throughout my adult life. I just could never KEEP it off. So when I was back up near my highest weight, after having lost 90 pounds, and I was looking at the long road ahead of me to lose it all again, I thought the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. How was THIS time going to be different from all the other times? The answer was the sleeve!

So I had my surgery. I lost "slowly", but that didn't matter. I reached goal right around my one year mark. I have maintained near goal for over 15 months. During that 15 months I have had my sister and her 4 kids move in with me, bought a new house with my husband which we did a lot of home improvements on, trained for and run a half marathon, decided to divorce my husband, had that new house on the market for 5 months, trained for and run a full marathon, had a serious boyfriend, bought a new condo, moved again, broke up with that serious boyfriend, and fixed up the new condo. ALL of those things were tremendously stressful. My exercise has been erratic and sometimes non-existent. In the past, I probably would have gained 50 pounds through all of that. And you know what? I am still hovering right around my goal weight. My sleeve is the best thing ever!

Thank you so much for this response--your words are exactly what I'm feeling. I'm glad to know others have experienced this thought process as well and it's good to hear as long as you stay the course it can be manageable even in life's more stressful situations.

For me, my sleeve has worked exactly as I had hoped when I got it. I never felt I needed weight LOSS surgery. I needed weight MAINTENANCE surgery. I was always a pro at losing weight. I had managed to lose 25-100 pounds countless times throughout my adult life. I just could never KEEP it off. So when I was back up near my highest weight, after having lost 90 pounds, and I was looking at the long road ahead of me to lose it all again, I thought the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. How was THIS time going to be different from all the other times? The answer was the sleeve!

So I had my surgery. I lost "slowly", but that didn't matter. I reached goal right around my one year mark. I have maintained near goal for over 15 months. During that 15 months I have had my sister and her 4 kids move in with me, bought a new house with my husband which we did a lot of him improvements on, trained for and run a half marathon, decided to divorce my husband, had that new house on the market for 5 months, trained for and run a full marathon, had a serious boyfriend, bought a new condo, moved again, broke up with that serious boyfriend, and fixed up the new condo. ALL of those things were tremendously stressful. My exercise has been erratic and sometimes non-existent. In the past, I probably would have gained 50 pounds through all of that. And you know what? I am still hovering right around my goal weight. My sleeve is the best thing ever!

So I had my surgery. I lost "slowly", but that didn't matter. I reached goal right around my one year mark. I have maintained near goal for over 15 months. During that 15 months I have had my sister and her 4 kids move in with me, bought a new house with my husband which we did a lot of home improvements on, trained for and run a half marathon, decided to divorce my husband, had that new house on the market for 5 months, trained for and run a full marathon, had a serious boyfriend, bought a new condo, moved again, broke up with that serious boyfriend, and fixed up the new condo. ALL of those things were tremendously stressful. My exercise has been erratic and sometimes non-existent. In the past, I probably would have gained 50 pounds through all of that. And you know what? I am still hovering right around my goal weight. My sleeve is the best thing ever!

Wow. Talk about stressful. Here's hoping for a much more 'peaceful' future. :)

HI I had my RNY on July 2, 2013. I went below my goal weight but I had STRICTURES (they are like scar tisy close off you entry to your pouch) I had 5 endoscopes with 4 dialations. Easy fix but not fun. Here are my stats: HW 249 (this time I was 285#'s at one time) I had lost and gained so much weight but never ever got to my goal weight before I gained it back plus!! My SW: 249 LOWEST WEIGHT 117 current weight 125# to 's. I have maintained this weight for 3 years. I am off so many medications I used to take 12 different medications and I was insulin resistant Diabetic. I used 100units of Levermire 2 times a day with 500mg of Meteformin and still not able to get my blood sugars under control. I now take 4 medications for my High Blood pressure, I had hoped to get off of that too but I just can't seem to quit stressing. If someone figures out how to just LET IT GO please let me know. I do take my Vitamins which is a lifetime thing. So I have been very successful with my WLS. It is a TOOL but it is an AMAZING tool. I am totally happy and am so glad that I have at last been able to lose my weight and keep it off this time. If you follow your Surgeon's guidelines you will also be successful in your journey. I think everyone worries about the WHAT IF's, but you can do it. Just make up your mind. Put your heart into it and do your follow ups and YOU TOO CAN BE SUCESSFUL!!! Good Luck and I look forward to following you on your journey!!