Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Almost two weeks post operation

I'm really struggling with my food cravings. I'm a grazer. I eat emotionally and I want pizza because I can't take another add during football games. I've graduated to soft foods!!! I'm afraid I'm going to fail.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Do you have any psych support to help you through this?

Everytime theres an advert on get up and do something around the house.

Drink lots of Water if you can at this stage.

Write a positive statement/afformation each morning and pin it to a board or on the front of your frindge. Repeat it when you feel weak and think you might act on your cravings. Now is the time to take control of your mind and when you do that, everything else just falls into place.

Be strong, you CAN do this!!

Kate

1 week post op. And I'm starting to have "head" hunger, and missing food. I can tell it's in my head, because physically my stomach doesn't really want food.

Edited by kar12345

8 days post op. Still liquid diet for a couple more days. Minimal pain - mostly when I wake up in the morning, probably because I end up rolling on my side a bit. Still doing small sips of Water, Protein Shakes and other liquids to avoid discomfort. Walking more. Today was my first minor panic moment - I think the surgery settled in, and I'm worrying about the purée phase coming up. Anyone have a "panic" moment (or two) like that, a week or so after surgery?

Alrighty!! This is when we need to start thinking outside the box. It's good you are talking about these cravings and coming to people for help!! That's the right thing to do and will help you be successful!!!

Ok, so here is what I did.

#1) Emotional soothing. I can't eat food so what do I do? First, I cried. I just let myself feel sorry for myself. It SUCKS!! We just aren't the normal people that can handle food without hurting ourselves so we've done something major. It's important you don't ignore these feelings and allow yourself to feel them.

And then go wash your face, apply a beauty mask, sit in the tub, light candles, listen to your favorite soothing music. Phantom of the Opera? Some Elton John? A little death metal? Whatever it is for you, turn on that music. Scrub your feet and hands, just do things that pamper yourself. Call up your bestie and tell her you need an emotional support mani-pedi! lol!

Also, go and ask for hugs, go cuddle someone. Have a pet? Go and cuddle it for a while.

When you feel yourself needing food in an emotional capacity it's important to first figure out where the emotions are coming from, feel them, and then sooth yourself in a non-eating way.

I also craft. I watch TV and do crafts now. Sequin Art?? Oh yeah. humming bird latch hook rug, you betcha!! lol! Keep your hands and eyes busy during commercials.

#2) Food cravings. Now is the time to stock up on sugar free pudding, on chicken Noodle Soup, things that are sugar free sweet and low fat savory. Believe me, when you just need some chocolate to survive that sugar free pudding is gonna be a life saver. I put some whipped cream on mine as well. FULLL FAT. lol! Also, get some soft cheeses you love for when you are soft foods. these little treats can feel like cheating when really they are well within your plan.

#3) Feeling like you are going to fail. I think we are all afraid of this. I mean, the reason we are at this stage is because we have failed at every other attempt to control our eating and our weight. That fear is perfectly natural and healthy. But you need to make sure you really square with yourself what you are willing to do and what you understand your new life to be. It takes time. I was sure I would fail too, but as I progressed through the food stages I really struggled and dealt with some depression. I felt I had made a huge mistake, that my life was over. But that passes too. Because once you graduate to full food and figure your habits out, and the weight keeps dropping, you start to feel better than you ever have. I'm happier now than I have been since I was a child and I'm 42 now.

But you HAVE to make a pact with yourself that you will follow the program. It's not near as hard as it seems right now. This is an exciting time!! Hang in there!!

Alrighty!! This is when we need to start thinking outside the box. It's good you are talking about these cravings and coming to people for help!! That's the right thing to do and will help you be successful!!!

Ok, so here is what I did.

#1) Emotional soothing. I can't eat food so what do I do? First, I cried. I just let myself feel sorry for myself. It SUCKS!! We just aren't the normal people that can handle food without hurting ourselves so we've done something major. It's important you don't ignore these feelings and allow yourself to feel them.

And then go wash your face, apply a beauty mask, sit in the tub, light candles, listen to your favorite soothing music. Phantom of the Opera? Some Elton John? A little death metal? Whatever it is for you, turn on that music. Scrub your feet and hands, just do things that pamper yourself. Call up your bestie and tell her you need an emotional support mani-pedi! lol!

Also, go and ask for hugs, go cuddle someone. Have a pet? Go and cuddle it for a while.

When you feel yourself needing food in an emotional capacity it's important to first figure out where the emotions are coming from, feel them, and then sooth yourself in a non-eating way.

I also craft. I watch TV and do crafts now. Sequin Art?? Oh yeah. humming bird latch hook rug, you betcha!! lol! Keep your hands and eyes busy during commercials.

#2) Food cravings. Now is the time to stock up on sugar free pudding, on chicken Noodle Soup, things that are sugar free sweet and low fat savory. Believe me, when you just need some chocolate to survive that sugar free pudding is gonna be a life saver. I put some whipped cream on mine as well. FULLL FAT. lol! Also, get some soft cheeses you love for when you are soft foods. these little treats can feel like cheating when really they are well within your plan.

#3) Feeling like you are going to fail. I think we are all afraid of this. I mean, the reason we are at this stage is because we have failed at every other attempt to control our eating and our weight. That fear is perfectly natural and healthy. But you need to make sure you really square with yourself what you are willing to do and what you understand your new life to be. It takes time. I was sure I would fail too, but as I progressed through the food stages I really struggled and dealt with some depression. I felt I had made a huge mistake, that my life was over. But that passes too. Because once you graduate to full food and figure your habits out, and the weight keeps dropping, you start to feel better than you ever have. I'm happier now than I have been since I was a child and I'm 42 now.

But you HAVE to make a pact with yourself that you will follow the program. It's not near as hard as it seems right now. This is an exciting time!! Hang in there!!

I'm struggling with this same exact stuff! I started to tear up a bit reading this lol thanks so much for your help!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App