Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Loss Rate/Patterns

I'm one month out today and down 18 lbs from my surgery on 12/21, down 38 lbs including my pre-op diet phase. I saw someone post that they'd lost 48 lbs(!) in the four weeks since surgery and I've heard from others that their weight didn't really start to fall off till a couple months post-op. My question is there a "normal" rate of weight loss for VGS, or is everyone truly different? I'm happy with my loss; just wondering if I'm on track and what to expect in the coming weeks and months on this journey.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I dont think there is a "normal". I saw that post as well and I haven't even lost that much in 3 and 1/2 months. Keep in mind that men lose faster than women and a lot of factors go into weight loss. Some people just lose slower. You are down 18 lbs in less than a month and that's fantastic!

I'm one month out today and down 18 lbs from my surgery on 12/21, down 38 lbs including my pre-op diet phase. I saw someone post that they'd lost 48 lbs(!) in the four weeks since surgery and I've heard from others that their weight didn't really start to fall off till a couple months post-op. My question is there a "normal" rate of weight loss for VGS, or is everyone truly different? I'm happy with my loss; just wondering if I'm on track and what to expect in the coming weeks and months on this journey.

You can't compare with others because there are a lot of factors that go into it in the first year and almost none are in your control...age, starting weight, sex, genetics.... Dr matthew weiner has a great YouTube video on this. You should watch it. Having said this my experience with 2 wls and my decades with dieting say that it usually looks like a bumpy set of stairs with a gradual declining downward slope. The longer out you are and the closer to a normal BMI you are the slower it will get. I have a friend who took 19 months to lose 100lbs...the last 9 or so months were just 1-2lbs a month..she still got there, so she didn't care that it was slow in The end. I set up a goals spreadsheet, I've built in a forecast that takes into account a declining rate of loss...so if month 1 is 15lbs, month 2 is less, month 3 is less than month 2. If I have two months of solid loss I can throw a party and count myself lucky.

I was at surgery 263, a month later down 25. At 6 weeks i am stalled and go between 237 and 240 on any given day. When I say frustrating and baffling! I have started to ramp up on activity so hoping i buss through this stall soon. I think i am on track and my nutritionist and surgeon were pleased. I have to admit that these 20 sum odd pounds feel good gone. I can do 3 flights if stairs before i start heaving. Before i was leaning after the 1st. Onward, we press Forward!

Sent from my SM-T310 using the BariatricPal App

I love 27 lbs pre-op. Since that time, my weight loss has slowed down considerably. The first month I lost 16 lbs. The 2nd month 8 lbs. This month only 5 lbs and it's been very emotionally hard on me. I'm doing EVERYTHING right!!! I said the other day that I lost more consistently with Weight Watchers, when I ate 3X the amount of food and had a whole stomach. I just need to try and focus on the big picture. This is a lifetime journey. I'm really considering throwing out my scales because my weight loss/lack of loss, seems to dictate my mood.

This is a graph showing average weight loss by month. I haven't gone back to check its validity, but there is a similar poster in my surgeon's office.

https://www.mexicobariatriccenter.com/gastric-sleeve-weight-loss-timeline/

Remember that when talking about weight loss, it's important to think about percentages and not pounds and ounces. Weight loss varies from person to person because we start at different weights; 10% of excess weight for you is probably a different number of pounds than it is for someone else.

Pounds and ounces are pretty exciting to lose, just not helpful for comparisons.

I love 27 lbs pre-op. Since that time, my weight loss has slowed down considerably. The first month I lost 16 lbs. The 2nd month 8 lbs. This month only 5 lbs and it's been very emotionally hard on me. I'm doing EVERYTHING right!!! I said the other day that I lost more consistently with Weight Watchers, when I ate 3X the amount of food and had a whole stomach. I just need to try and focus on the big picture. This is a lifetime journey. I'm really considering throwing out my scales because my weight loss/lack of loss, seems to dictate my mood.

BUT were you able to keep it off after weightwatchers?? This is a life time tool and if you treat it right, will regulate you for the rest of your life. Throw that damn scale out. When you aren't losing pounds, you are losing inches. Trust that

@@gustavio I kept it off for almost 10 years. I had to workout like the devil to do it though. When I got hurt in Afghanistan and had to have 5 orthopedic surgeries in 15 months, it put a stop to my exercising. I keep eating like a thin person though. Believe me, I'm excited to have this new tool. I'm going to make it work for me too. I'm a very disciplined person so I'm sure I will be successful. Patience just isn't my strength. I'm working on that too. lol