Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trying to decide VSG vs RNY

HI I am new to the process. I am about 5' 3 and weigh about 325... last I was weighed. My surgeon indicated I could be approved for either rny or vsg assuming my testing doesn't show any reflux issues. I do have it occasionally but I don't take daily medicine for it. I assumed he would have a stronger opinion and give me more pros and cons of each ( I plan to see other surgeons before my final decision).

But until my next surgeon apt let me know what you think the pros and cons of each. I want to loose at least 150 lbs.

Thanks for your help in advance.

From what my surgeon told me it was a no brainer for the RNY. sleep apnea, hi BP, high cholesterol, GERD, and diabetes.

From what I was told, RNY loses weight faster, and has a better success rate of keeping the weight off. I was told that sleeves have a 33% chance of gaining all the weight back. I am proud to be a kangaroo!

My Dr. recommended the RNY over the Sleeve, because of the Diabetes and being on insulin for over 2 years. I have occasional reflux and high cholesterol. I have been planning the sleeve for over a year but the surgeon says I would do better with RNY. I am more nervous, still very excited.

I went with RNY because I had acid reflux pre-surgery. I didn't want to take the risk of it getting any worse (it doesn't *always* get worse with the sleeve, but it often does)

Up to you. That's a choice you have to make yourself.

Pros to the sleeve: less risk, more common, no stomach re-routing, permanent. No dumping syndrome. Continuous weight loss even after 2 years.

Gastric by pass pros: can be reversed if needed. Re-routes your intestines so you can experience dumping syndrome if you do not make dramatic diet changes. Weight loss is quick.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

The one thing I would say first off is "Only you and your Surgeon can make that decsion. But I had the RNY and I am 3 and 1/2 years out. I lost 132#'s in 6 months. Now I think some of that loss was due to STRICTURES (basically scar tissue) I ended up needing 5 Endoscopes and 4 Dialations. I was so insulin resistant and I took 100unitsn of insulin and 500mg of Metformin. Now I take 0 I no longer am considered Diabetic. I use to take 12 different medications, now I take 4 plus my Vitamins. So many people say that the Sleeve is less invasive but you know that they take at least 80% of your stomach out and there are that need to be revised to a RNY later down the road. One thing that I told myself I am 57 years old (60 now)so I better go big or go home!! I felt that at my age I sure don't want to go back for a revision. But as I said before it is your choice. Congratulations and which ever one you choose it is up to you to make it, as our WLS is a tool. We still do the work!!

I'm also looking at both options. I meet with the surgeon in a few months and I have a feeling they'll talk with me about those options. I havent been told one over the other at this point. I'm leaning toward the RNY

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

This where I am right now too. I have my first appointment with the doctor in 2 weeks. I though for sure I wanted the sleeve (seemed less invasive, less traumatic to the digestive process, and I don't like the idea of possible Vitamin issues, anemia, etc.). However, i didn't realize that if you have reflux that the sleeve is not the best option. I learned that in the seminar I had to attend before I could move on in the process. That's a concern for me because I also don't want to have a revision but the idea of bypass really makes me more nervous. What to do???

I want to add that I have spent a lot of time browsing through this forum and I so appreciate how much everyone shares their experience. I've been finding it immensely helpful, even at this early stage. So thank you.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I found out that sometimes it's your choice, sometimes it's your surgeon's. :huh: :wacko:

I decided to go with the RNY because of all my health issues and I want the weight off quickly. That was also what the nurse practitioner I saw at my very first clinic visit told me would be the best rout to take.

now that being said, she also told me that RNY may not be what I get once they get in there because of the scar tissue that could be in there due to the large number of abdominal laparoscopic surgeries I have had in the last 18 years. (I think the count is now at 8)

Just talk to your doc and let them know how you feel about each one and ask their opinion as to which they think would be best for your particular situation as every person's situation is different. :)