Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calories and carbs? Need input!

So I'm two months out I'm allowed to eat anything now. My DR and NUT say I shld have 800 to 1000 calories a day. That seems like and awful lot. I just don't want to fail at this!!! How many calories do u eat a day and how many grams of carbs??

HW 289 CW 230 bypass 11/22/16

I was sleeved on September 2nd. I shoot for 800 cals a day and my carbs are usually under 30g. Some days it's difficult for me to get in 800 but that's my goal. Diligently track your macros and stick to your surgeons plan and you'll do fine.

I'd just hit 800 calories at two months out, and I remember feeling at the time that it might have been too high. It seemed like lots of people were in the 600-800 range at that point, so I was consistently at the top end of that. I don't think I hit 1000 until I was several months out. I know at a year out I was in the 1000-1200 range.

My program is pretty balanced rather than ultra-low carb, so we didn't count carbs, but I averaged under 80 grams a day for a really long time (so it was fairly low carb - but not one of the Atkins-like programs that a lot of post-ops are on)

So I'm two months out I'm allowed to eat anything now. My DR and NUT say I shld have 800 to 1000 calories a day. That seems like and awful lot. I just don't want to fail at this!!! How many calories do u eat a day and how many grams of carbs??

You have to work up to that rate. I'm 3.5 months and now able to do between 800 and 950, doesn't happen overnight. I tried to up my goal in my fitnesspal by 50 calories a week. I was at 650-750 for the longest time. I follow a macro plan which I set up in myfitnesspal. I aim for 35%carb 25% fat and 40% Protein. if I"m 30-30-40 that's fine too. been working well for me. Lots of people are put on Keto plans (high Protein high fat low carb. i was doing that until my dietician told me my carbs were too low. so I adjusted...still losing. I'm doing 900-950 pretty consistently this week and happy with that. my goal was to get over 900 to avoid "starvation mode".

You have to work up to that rate. I'm 3.5 months and now able to do between 800 and 950, doesn't happen overnight. I tried to up my goal in my fitnesspal by 50 calories a week. I was at 650-750 for the longest time. I follow a macro plan which I set up in myfitnesspal. I aim for 35%carb 25% fat and 40% Protein. if I"m 30-30-40 that's fine too. been working well for me. Lots of people are put on Keto plans (high Protein high fat low carb. i was doing that until my dietician told me my carbs were too low. so I adjusted...still losing. I'm doing 900-950 pretty consistently this week and happy with that. my goal was to get over 900 to avoid "starvation mode".
awesome okay good I guess I'm just afraid of over eating. Even tho I know my calories before starting this journey was probly more 3000 range I just don't wanna fail at this and wanna know that eating 1000 calories will still allow me too loose.

I'd just hit 800 calories at two months out, and I remember feeling at the time that it might have been too high. It seemed like lots of people were in the 600-800 range at that point, so I was consistently at the top end of that. I don't think I hit 1000 until I was several months out. I know at a year out I was in the 1000-1200 range.

My program is pretty balanced rather than ultra-low carb, so we didn't count carbs, but I averaged under 80 grams a day for a really long time (so it was fairly low carb - but not one of the Atkins-like programs that a lot of post-ops are on)

good I'm glad to know and even at 1000/1200 are u still loosing?

good I'm glad to know and even at 1000/1200 are u still loosing?

yes - but very slowly. But I'm also 19 months out. I don't think I went over 1000 until I was almost a year out. I remember being at around 800 for several months, then 800-1000 from about six months to a year out.

I personally would try to stay at the low end of the range they gave you, if possible. These first few months are going to be critical. It will be far, far easier to lose weight now than it ever will at any other point in your life. Take full advantage of it! On the other hand, if you're really active or just don't feel well at that low end of the range they gave you, then come up a bit. I had to - learned later that I malabsorb Protein, so that might have been part of it. Plus I'm fairly active.

How does exercise fit in with the calorie intake?

I personally would try to stay at the low end of the range they gave you, if possible. These first few months are going to be critical. It will be far, far easier to lose weight now than it ever will at any other point in your life. Take full advantage of it! On the other hand, if you're really active or just don't feel well at that low end of the range they gave you, then come up a bit. I had to - learned later that I malabsorb Protein, so that might have been part of it. Plus I'm fairly active.

ive been trying to stay at the lower end but I'm very very active I run a small daycare so I'm constantly on the go then I have three kids of my own I have after they are out of school so I go like from 5am 11pm. Non stop most of the time. But I find sometimes I reach alittle over 800.

ive been trying to stay at the lower end but I'm very very active I run a small daycare so I'm constantly on the go then I have three kids of my own I have after they are out of school so I go like from 5am 11pm. Non stop most of the time. But I find sometimes I reach alittle over 800.

I am lucky if I crest 850 a day. Some days I might get up to 1000 like when it was this huge birthday bash and I had some extra carby treats. But in general I'm hitting 800's a day.