Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What if my PCP doesn't support this?

Hello all,

I have an appointment with my PCP on Thursday for an insurance required referral. I'm a little nervous! I'm not sure how to open the conversation, I don't know if he's a supporter of bariatric surgery, and he doesn't know me well. He's only been my PCP for about a year. Granted, he can pull medical records if he needs to.... but the 'what ifs' keep running through my head. I'd be majorly bummed if he won't refer me.

What should I bring with me? I plan on having insurance requirements printed out, but what else?

TIA!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Explain why you need it, list the benefits, explain how your weight effects your daily life. Like my osteoarthritis caused a lot of pain and effected my relationship with my children because I couldn't keep up with them, sleep was effected because of the pain and I was depressed because I could be the best mom I could due to my knees and ankles. Make your "presentation" sincere and personal, that will help you out.

I had the same worry. I've only been with pcp got about 6 mos. after a 25 yr with former dr. But went in and told him I had signed up for seminar and he said "with Dr. Wolf?" I said yes. He said that's great. That's the best help for diabetes and you other chronic problems including back and knees. ". Omg was I happy. This was Monday. They called me later to tell me my referral and records were all sent to wolf's and if there was anything they could do to help me, just let them know. Hope yours works out as well. I think it has been around long enough now that more Drs. Are aware of the benefits. Lol I had even practiced how I would beg. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I had the same worry. I've only been with pcp got about 6 mos. after a 25 yr with former dr. But went in and told him I had signed up for seminar and he said "with Dr. Wolf?" I said yes. He said that's great. That's the best help for diabetes and you other chronic problems including back and knees. ". Omg was I happy. This was Monday. They called me later to tell me my referral and records were all sent to wolf's and if there was anything they could do to help me, just let them know. Hope yours works out as well. I think it has been around long enough now that more Drs. Are aware of the benefits. Lol I had even practiced how I would beg. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

thank you, I appreciate it! I'm glad yours went so smoothly.. fingers crossed mine goes the same!

Be prepared to explain all your previous attempts to lose weight - what you tried, what the result was, did you gain some, all, or more back...

Don't worry. If your PCP wants you to be healthy and you meet the criteria for the surgery, they will want you to go for it. Showing the PCP that you have educated yourself on the qualifications of being a candidate for surgery, the implications of having surgery, and the risks will also go a long way. They will want to know you're ready and committed to the lifestyle change. My PCP was thrilled that I had come to the decision on my own and after a ton of research.

Don't worry. If your PCP wants you to be healthy and you meet the criteria for the surgery, they will want you to go for it. Showing the PCP that you have educated yourself on the qualifications of being a candidate for surgery, the implications of having surgery, and the risks will also go a long way. They will want to know you're ready and committed to the lifestyle change. My PCP was thrilled that I had come to the decision on my own and after a ton of research.

Yay! This makes me optimistic. Thank you! Appointment is tomorrow afternoon and I'm already nervous

Yay! This makes me optimistic. Thank you! Appointment is tomorrow afternoon and I'm already nervous

My GP was not in favor of the surgery at my BMI, but he still gave me medical clearance. I'm not sure what exactly your insurance needs but I'm sure he would've written the letter if I'd needed it.

If he says no, find a new GP.

I too am not sure if my PCP will give me a referral. I have only been seeing her for the last two years and my weight has gone up and down throughout the years due to yo-yo dieting. I switched PCPs a lot before I found one that I was comfortable with and would always go on a fad diet before scheduling my annual physicals because I was ashamed of my weight and didn't want to get lectured about the dangers of obesity.

I have kept a log of most of my weight loss attempts and weight gains which I plan on bringing to my Dr.'s appointment. Hopefully that will help. Good luck with your doctor.

Update to all- he referred me with no problem and stated he'd rather I get it done now while still young (27) so I can bounce back quickly and ended the convo with stating that he is in full support of my decision