Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My sleeve surgery seems almost too easy. So far.

I am six weeks out from surgery. The first 4 weeks were super easy, then I finally started to feel restriction and I started experiencing nausea after eating. It's not so easy now, eating is a chore, I only do it because I know I have to. Just hold on because you will start to feel the difference.

Wow... glad to hear that your surgery went smoothly and that it's been easy for you so far. I hope it continues :)

I had my surgery on 11/14 at 11 am. When I came to in recovery, I was in a lot of pain. That continued to be an issue for the rest of the day. Then, then next day, the pain had lessened. That's when they started giving me sips of broth, Water, some Jello.... I did great with all of that.

I never did experience the dreaded gas pains that everyone talks about. It was never an issue. I just had pain from the incisions, mainly the big one, and then the pain of surgery itself. I had to continue taking pain meds for a couple of weeks after my surgery.

Like you, I never had a problem getting liquids down. From the day after surgery, I was getting in my 64 ounces of liquids, plus some. So that was nice.

Good luck to you :)

Wow had no idea anyone did outpatient Sleeve. Thought one night was the norm/min. I stayed one night and just had the pain Med in my IV. Other then that I took one pain Med first night just because I was afraid I'd wake up in pain and that was all. Had no issues with Water, popsicles and broth and now one month out I've tolerated all foods in stages allowed. I also thought to date that it's been to easy and kept thinking maybe the Dr. Only took out 50% of my stomach LOL. Guess so far it's a good thing.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I was plenty worried about doing this outpatient, but I'm self pay so it was kind of necessary to keep costs down. My surgeon said they administer a long lasting pain killer of some sort internally that lasts about 3 days to keep you comfortable during the days you would normally experience the most pain. So far so good! I'm glad to see someone else experienced an easy recovery! I was starting to think they just made a few incisions and then skipped the rest of the surgery!

What pain killer lasts for 3 days? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Edited by FatDad

Wow... glad to hear that your surgery went smoothly and that it's been easy for you so far. I hope it continues :)

I had my surgery on 11/14 at 11 am. When I came to in recovery, I was in a lot of pain. That continued to be an issue for the rest of the day. Then, then next day, the pain had lessened. That's when they started giving me sips of broth, Water, some Jello.... I did great with all of that.

I never did experience the dreaded gas pains that everyone talks about. It was never an issue. I just had pain from the incisions, mainly the big one, and then the pain of surgery itself. I had to continue taking pain meds for a couple of weeks after my surgery.

Like you, I never had a problem getting liquids down. From the day after surgery, I was getting in my 64 ounces of liquids, plus some. So that was nice.

Good luck to you :)

Glad to hear someone else had a relatively easy time at the beginning. I was starting to feel like something was wrong to feel this good. LOL

I am fully prepared for this to get tougher when i start eating pureed food. Hope it's not too difficult. I did start experiencing some gas pain about an hour ago but not too bad. It probably helps that my husband is forcing me to walk for 5 minutes every hour, like the doctor ordered. Honestly i'm not disciplined enough to do on my own so its good he stayed home with me this week.

I was sleeved the morning of 11/14 & went home that afternoon. I was worried, too, BUT! No complications and recovery had been a breeze. My surgeon tests for leaks 3 times during surgery so there was no need for a radiology exam.

My understanding is that most doctors do the leak test now before they even close you up.

I thought the same thing; I kept asking my doctor if he'd actually performed the surgery. Things got real a week out, though ... and very real when I started eating pureed foods.

I have prepared myself that this will probably stop being easy at some point. I have very little gas. At least it isn't causing me too much discomfort. i have just read so many posts where they couldn't get down the smallest amounts of Fluid and were in excruciating pain. That's what I was prepared for, so this seems like a stroll through the park.

It may be that you are blessed with an easy recovery. I had a ridiculously easy recovery and it never got terribly difficult physically. The psychological part has been more of a challenge for me. Wishing you a continued easy recovery!

Wow had no idea anyone did outpatient Sleeve. Thought one night was the norm/min. I stayed one night and just had the pain Med in my IV. Other then that I took one pain Med first night just because I was afraid I'd wake up in pain and that was all. Had no issues with Water, popsicles and broth and now one month out I've tolerated all foods in stages allowed. I also thought to date that it's been to easy and kept thinking maybe the Dr. Only took out 50% of my stomach LOL. Guess so far it's a good thing.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I was plenty worried about doing this outpatient, but I'm self pay so it was kind of necessary to keep costs down. My surgeon said they administer a long lasting pain killer of some sort internally that lasts about 3 days to keep you comfortable during the days you would normally experience the most pain. So far so good! I'm glad to see someone else experienced an easy recovery! I was starting to think they just made a few incisions and then skipped the rest of the surgery!

What pain killer lasts for 3 days? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

I can only tell you what the doctor told me. I have pain today so i assume it's wearing off.

Well i knew this wouldn't last☹️ Started running a fever last night and felt pretty crappy. But the fever is down today and i feel better but i do have some pain now. Not bad, but it's there. The fluids are still going down ok, which i was most worried about. But 3 oz is the limit. My stomach won't accept more than that until i give it a 20 min rest.

Just had my surgery yesterday the 18th. Was doing good until this morning and the incisions hurt badly. Not having the gas pains but I believe it's from using my essential oils on my feet before the surgery. I know it's sounds crazy but they work.

Now I'm home and the worst part is getting up. Incisions are sore sore sore. Any idea how long that lasts?

Georgette

Georgette

Sent from my iPhone

Just had my surgery yesterday the 18th. Was doing good until this morning and the incisions hurt badly. Not having the gas pains but I believe it's from using my essential oils on my feet before the surgery. I know it's sounds crazy but they work.

Now I'm home and the worst part is getting up. Incisions are sore sore sore. Any idea how long that lasts?

Georgette

Georgette

Sent from my iPhone

My incisions were sore up through the full 8 weeks and are still tender 3 months out. but I was able to get myself into and out of bed by week 3.

Good to hear all is going well for you but since I am covered 100% I am staying the mandatory 2 nights just to be safe than sorry even if I feel good enough to go home the same day as the surgey. I go in Monday Jan 30th and go home Wednesday Feb 1st.

Sent from my SM-J700T using the BariatricPal App

Thank you. I was fortunate to be able to get in and out of my own bed first night home (day 2). I'm a side sleeper, so that was tricky, but actually got into a comfy spot for most of the night.

I haven't taken any pain meds today, yet. Resting a lot though. I did take a nausea pill when I first got up though. Was able to get my multi Vitamin down today and am drinking Water and chicken broth.

I'm having trouble drinking 48 oz. working up to it for sure. Thanks again for your comments.

Georgette

Sent from my iPhone

I am right at 4 weeks and I haven't had any issues besides going through a 10 day stall. I had zero pain, zero gas, zero swelling issues. Energy was back by day 4. I do get hiccups if I eat to fast but it's a good warning sign to stop eating. Hopefully the stall will lift soon but this isn't a quick fix so I am in this for the long haul.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I am right at 4 weeks and I haven't had any issues besides going through a 10 day stall. I had zero pain, zero gas, zero swelling issues. Energy was back by day 4. I do get hiccups if I eat to fast but it's a good warning sign to stop eating. Hopefully the stall will lift soon but this isn't a quick fix so I am in this for the long haul.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

That's encouraging! I still have very little pain, but I do get nauseous trying to get all the fluids down, but I assume that gets better with time. The Protein Shakes don't go down very well at all.