Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Advancing your diet- on your own

So I'm a week post op and I've been on a full liquid diet since I discharged from the hospital. I've had Soups and curries with no problem obviously because they're liquid. Haha! But has anyone actually tried advancing your diet by yourself? Like, trying some soft foods to see if you can actually eat it.

DISCLAIMER: I already know some people on here are going to attempt to jump down my throat or be like "LISTEN TO YOUR SURGEON! DONT DO IT!" But I'm asking out of SHEER CURIOSITY. Lol. I'm not trying to advance my diet without my surgeons content. I'm asking because I'm actually curious if anyone has done it, their experience, etc. I also want to know what happened when you did. Even if it was by accident.

Follow my

I found that at each stage I was ready before it was recommended. I always started the next stage a week or so before I was "allowed" to. No bad side effects. The only time I would follow to the letter is right after surgery THROUGH the time in which the stitches should be totally healed

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

No. I followed the plan.

Sent from my SM-G925V using the BariatricPal App

Following plan too, day 7 today. I was excited tonight I had a tripe zero salted caramel oikos yogurt. I already bought smoked salmon and ricotta, and avocado for next Sunday or Monday. So looking forward to pureed food. I made a batch of bone broth yesterday, I didn't chew it or swallow it but did chew a piece of meat off the bone. :)

Sent from my SM-G900H using the BariatricPal App

Following plan too, day 7 today. I was excited tonight I had a tripe zero salted caramel oikos yogurt. I already bought smoked salmon and ricotta, and avocado for next Sunday or Monday. So looking forward to pureed food. I made a batch of bone broth yesterday, I didn't chew it or swallow it but did chew a piece of meat off the bone. :)

Sent from my SM-G900H using the BariatricPal App

Did you swallow the meat? Did it hurt you or anything?

Follow my

I found that at each stage I was ready before it was recommended. I always started the next stage a week or so before I was "allowed" to. No bad side effects. The only time I would follow to the letter is right after surgery THROUGH the time in which the stitches should be totally healed

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

This is exactly how I am currently. I have one more week of the full liquid diet and I feel like I'm ready to move on to the blended/puréed side of the diet. I have my one week follow up tomorrow and I'll mention it to them and see what they say. I found I'm able to take bigger sips now too which is absolutely wonderful!

Follow my

I followed my plan to the letter. None of us has any idea what the condition of our stomach is since we can't actually see it. I just wasn't willing to take any risks over some random food and a few random days.

I stuck to the plan. Sometimes it sucked and I wanted something more "substantial". Especially during the puréed stage. But I kept it in mind that this part was only temporary and to ensure I healed properly and let my body get adjusted to the changes I persevered. There's light, you'll be on to solids before you know it.

Stuck to my plan. Lots of horror stories out there about folks who advance ahead of schedule so you're not the only one who's been tempted. Let's face it, it sucks until you eat real food.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I followed plan strictly. I was deathly afraid of leak.

I had read one woman's ordeal on here (she developed a leak after eating a soft nacho chip) in particular that frightened me.

Sent from my SM-N910T using the BariatricPal App

I was terrified of complications as well so yeah, I followed my plan to the letter. That said, my post op plan want as torturous as some others seem to have been- I was allowed well chewed soft food after 2 weeks.

Did you swallow the meat? Did it hurt you or anything?

Follow my

I chewed it , didn't swallow it .....it was tee tiny, like the size of my pinky nail. I think I just needed to taste real food. I am one of those with no upset stomach, no nausea, I wake up and drink 4 oz of broth first thing in the a.m. I saved those little pieces from the bone for when I can eat it again. I have only been eating yogurt, kefir, Protein Gelatin, Protein shakes. I will follow until Saturday or Sunday, and then start with my salmon, tuna, ricotta cheese (wish we had access to Farmer's cheese), I bought those this week ....I AM READY! Give those pureed Proteins. It will be like eating pate, I can't wait.

No way. I'm not taking any chances that could hurt my new stomach or cause me pain, that would just be stupid.

Sent from my LG-H811 using the BariatricPal App

Ditto!!!