Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My date 12/19/2016

I had my Gastric Sleeve Surgery on 12/19/2016 i am currently 4 weeks post-op. When i woke up in recovery i had burning heartburn that lasted 5 days. I was unable to get Fluid into me. I kept telling my surgeon and his team how i was feeling. They released me after 2 nights knowing i was not getting the fluids in that i needed. To make matters worse, i had 2 hematoma's from the surgery which caused me to become anemic. I did not know any of this. After my release i was very dizzy and went to my surgeons office the next day. I saw the nurse practitioner. I explained how i was feeling and she instructed me to "just keep sipping all day long". A week later i saw my surgeon who said i was severely dehydrated and needed to go to the ER. But not until after he spent 1/2 hour explaining the next phase of the eating plan which he referred to as the splat phase. I was sitting on a table in his office ready to faint only to sit through his instruction on eating which i had not even begun to do. Off to the ER i went. They did a CT scan to make sure i was not leaking and that is when i was told i had these hematoma's and that i was anemic. I have a hematologist that was not given any of this information from this surgeon either. The next day i saw my hematologist and thank the Lord for that man. He explained what was happening to me and what we needed to do. My surgeons notes were not in the hospital computer a week and 1/2 later so he could not even see what had happened in my surgery, but he was able to see the CT scan. Its been a very long 4 weeks. I am still dizzy at times and struggle to meet the daily Fluid and food intake. Tonight i am attending a support group hoping to pick up some pointers. I know this is a process but my beginning was a terrible experience, I just wish that my surgeons office had been as forthcoming with the bad information as they were with making this sound like it would be a breeze.Tomorrow i meet with my surgeon. I did speak with the office a week ago. Not so sure how this appointment will go.

I am sorry that you had such a difficult start to things. I am glad that you've now identified the problem and are hopefully treating it and starting to feel better? Now you can start settling into where you should have been a couple of weeks ago, focusing on getting in Protein and Water, taking your Vitamins, and working your way through the food stages. Hopefully this will all be behind you soon and the rest of your journey will follow a more "normal" course.

My surgery date was 5/11/16. I had a similar problem. I knew something was not right from the time I came home from the hospital. I could not eat or drink without throwing it right back up. At my one week checkup I was laying in the chair in the waiting room and two other patients that had surgery the same day I did were doing great. It continued to get worse, so after about a month of this I finally went to the ER. They did a cat scan and a had a hematoma on the outside of my stomach the size of a grapefruit. Apparently a blood vessel was nicked and was leaking. The hematoma was full of infection. I was in bad shape. I had to have it drained and I was on strong antibiotics for 6 weeks. I was in the hospital for four days but my doctor was great. He came to see me twice everyday. But the good news is I am doing great now. I am down 86 pounds and have no other complications. So hang in there! Hopefully the worst is behind you. If you have any questions please let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I was sleeved 12-27-16. Everything went well. After approximately 2 weeks I can't even tolerate anything with taste to it. I throw it up. When I swallow Soup, even cream potatoes thinned I throw it up. I've been to my Dr. Has anyone been through this. I'm coming up 4 weeks post-op and can't even taste the food that I can tolerate at this stage. Mouth watery, spitting, feels like a ball in your throat and in the middle of your sternum like something is stuck there. Has anyone had this problem?? And how long did it last? Thanks in advance.

Logan08, i would go to the ER. If what i had gone through was not bad enough, i could keep food down. Let us know how you are doing.

UPDATE, hi all. Things are improving. Getting my Fluid in, eating 3 times a day working hard on the Protein. Week 4 I was down 35 pounds. Everyday is a struggle with certain foods but I try something different everyday. Salmon is not my friend