Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Considering Gastric Sleeve

My surgeon said if you want a sip have some but definitely not all the time. I had a sip a few weeks ago and the gas is really uncomfortable so its not something I can see myself havung frequently even diet. To each their own though I have read others have a diet soda everyday and have been successful maintainung their weight loss for many years. I definitely think you should be compliant with food plan until you get to goal then start experimenting.

One response to the comments on diet soda, I was addicted to diet soda for years and I will say if you give it up you will understand the power it has is crazy but now I don't crave it anymore.

I am 40 years old, I was morbidly obese for years but fairly healthy, I worked out 6 days a week and was active and had no major health issues. Then I injured my back and my immobility cause my lipodema which I didn't know I had to trigger lymphedema and then I got cellulitis in my leg. I was in the hospital for almost two weeks trying to get the infection under control. This made me more immobile and last April (6 months later) I ended up in the hospital again with heart failure and pneumonia. The immobility made my health nose dive, I left the hospital on oxygen, with a bi-pap, anemic and on high blood pressure medicine. My family thought I would die. With lymphedema treatments and a lot of hard work I lost almost 80 pounds in my own. I was sleeved Dec 30 and overall I am down over 100 pounds. I am telling you this story because at 38 I would not have guessed all of this would happen. I would have said then that I would never consider surgery. I wish I had gotten the surgery even a year ago. I am 3 weeks post op, I am off the oxygen, off the blood pressure medicine and I feel more in control then I ever could have believed. I am not one of the perfect people, but I am making this work for me. I hope you can f'ing what works for you

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

(I hate this edit function! I keep deleting things I don't mean to delete).

I'm pretty sure any kind of carbonation will not be on your diet plan either pre- or post-op. The carbonation will not be a friend to your sleeve, and artificial sweeteners are just as bad for you as real sugar. That said, some people have mentioned that they have had a couple of sips of flat soda to deal with their cravings, and others have gone back to drinking soda ONLY when they were in maintenance phase.

I was addicted to Diet Coke/Coke Zero for almost 20 years when I decided to quit cold turkey (weaning myself off never worked). I'm now 3+ years "sober" from my soda addiction, and I have to say, I don't crave it one bit, although I have had other sodas (ginger ale or Sprite) maybe once or twice a year since then (but no addiction problems with them). And, unlike others who seem to have lost their sweet tooth after quitting, mine just got worse. I craved sweet things (especially chocolate) all the time. That never really went away. I have to admit that now that I'm on my pre-op diet, I don't crave anything sweet, although to be fair, there's plenty of sweetness from the Protein shakes themselves.

Remember too, that your tastes may change after surgery, so you may not want or like soda at all afterwards. I've made a promise to myself that I'm going to eat "clean" until my weight loss phase is mostly finished and then transition to maintenance. And I know there may be some foods I may not want to eat (or possibly handle eating them) ever again (but never say never). However, I have an addictive personality, so I really don't want to get back to eating or drinking trigger foods and drinks again. It's a slippery slope.

Edited by biginjapan

(I hate this edit function! I keep deleting things I don't mean to delete).

I'm pretty sure any kind of carbonation will not be on your diet plan either pre- or post-op. The carbonation will not be a friend to your sleeve, and artificial sweeteners are just as bad for you as real sugar. That said, some people have mentioned that they have had a couple of sips of flat soda to deal with their cravings, and others have gone back to drinking soda ONLY when they were in maintenance phase.

I was addicted to Diet Coke/Coke Zero for almost 20 years when I decided to quit cold turkey (weaning myself off never worked). I'm now 3+ years "sober" from my soda addiction, and I have to say, I don't crave it one bit, although I have had other sodas (ginger ale or Sprite) maybe once or twice a year since then (but no addiction problems with them). And, unlike others who seem to have lost their sweet tooth after quitting, mine just got worse. I craved sweet things (especially chocolate) all the time. That never really went away. I have to admit that now that I'm on my pre-op diet, I don't crave anything sweet, although to be fair, there's plenty of sweetness from the Protein shakes themselves.

Remember too, that your tastes may change after surgery, so you may not want or like soda at all afterwards. I've made a promise to myself that I'm going to eat "clean" until my weight loss phase is mostly finished and then transition to maintenance. And I know there may be some foods I may not want to eat (or possibly handle eating them) ever again (but never say never). However, I have an addictive personality, so I really don't want to get back to eating or drinking trigger foods and drinks again. It's a slippery slope.

What is your age?

If you don't mind me asking.

When is your surgery date?

I hope it's not too hard on you, all the traveling you are going to have to do.

I am one of those that went back to carbonation post surgery. I don't have a problem with it, and I don't find it causes discomfort of any kind.

I have also developed a dairy intolerance, which is new at about 3 years post op.

Also I had a mild vit d deficiency, and had to take extra supplements for a month or so.

Other than that, I have had no problems whatsoever. I highly recommend the counseling before and after surgery. The hunger and cravings do come back for some, and I am one of those. I can do really poorly by eating junk and I will gain. It also makes me feel bad. Or I can eat food that is fuel to my body, which actually makes me feel good.

A huge part of success for me in the later years post op, is getting comfortable with the feeling of hunger. What happens if you don't eat every time you feel it? You realize being hungry is something not quite so scary, and can be tolerated at times. you have to be really disciplined after the first year, because gaining weight can happen if you're not vigilant and careful.

I am so grateful for my gastrectomy, and the things I have been able to accomplish with this tool. It allows me to actually be ok limiting my food, and the cravings lessen as you get comfortable with it. I do 5:2 so I have had to learn to fast. I require less food overall, and try to only put good things in my body. I don't do perfect every day, but I stay on track about 80% of the time. You can be so successful with this tool, but the hard work begins after the first year, when the weight does not fall off quite so easily, and you have more of a normal appetite. Just speaking from my own personal experience.

I am one of those that went back to carbonation post surgery. I don't have a problem with it, and I don't find it causes discomfort of any kind.

I have also developed a dairy intolerance, which is new at about 3 years post op.

Also I had a mild vit d deficiency, and had to take extra supplements for a month or so.

Other than that, I have had no problems whatsoever. I highly recommend the counseling before and after surgery. The hunger and cravings do come back for some, and I am one of those. I can do really poorly by eating junk and I will gain. It also makes me feel bad. Or I can eat food that is fuel to my body, which actually makes me feel good.

A huge part of success for me in the later years post op, is getting comfortable with the feeling of hunger. What happens if you don't eat every time you feel it? You realize being hungry is something not quite so scary, and can be tolerated at times. you have to be really disciplined after the first year, because gaining weight can happen if you're not vigilant and careful.

I am so grateful for my gastrectomy, and the things I have been able to accomplish with this tool. It allows me to actually be ok limiting my food, and the cravings lessen as you get comfortable with it. I do 5:2 so I have had to learn to fast. I require less food overall, and try to only put good things in my body. I don't do perfect every day, but I stay on track about 80% of the time. You can be so successful with this tool, but the hard work begins after the first year, when the weight does not fall off quite so easily, and you have more of a normal appetite. Just speaking from my own personal experience.

Thank you for the input.

I appreciate what you had to say.

I see the surgeon on Tuesday, but my insurance requires a six month waiting period.

Hi! I see you've received lots of advice and information. I want to add to that just to tell you that this surgery can save your life, but you have to be psychologically strong and ready. Keep us updated!

Hi! I see you've received lots of advice and information. I want to add to that just to tell you that this surgery can save your life, but you have to be psychologically strong and ready. Keep us updated!

Yep, I understand.

I am stressed about that aspect of it, due to my food addiction.

You are still young you have a wife and kids that want you around and just around but active (physically too)in their lives . I am scared too I am 45 female my son is in the Navy (empty nester) supportive husband but I am second guessing myself (surgery scheduled 2/8)

OK, saw the surgeon and team yesterday.

It was very overwhelming and stressful.

There was a lot of information given to me.

I am looking at surgery sometime in August, due to my insurance mandatory waiting period.

The waiting period makes me angry, I don't understand why that is necessary?

3 months would be more reasonable.

I need to lose between 15 to 20 pounds over the course of the next six months.

Everyone was really nice and friendly and didn't make me feel bad about my weight.

The dietician was very cool and understanding.

I am still scared and stressed out.

I am scared.

I keep going back and forth.

One minute I don't want surgery and the next minute I do.

It is stressing me out.

Just remember its ok to be scared.

You can go through this entire 6 month process and change your mind at the last minute.

I did my whole process that way. The lesson I learned is that 6 months laid out before you feels a lot longer than the 6 months you have behind you. It goes by so quickly, the anticipation is what makes it feel so long.

I'm 3 months post sleeve and I am grateful every day for the 6 months beforehand. It really allowed me to prepare myself for my life changes. I gave up caffeine right away and used the time to slowly eliminate things from my diet or "hack" them to make them more nutritious. I started a walking regimen that got me up off the couch and walking 5-7 miles per day (this was a build up over time) I completed 6 5k's during that timeframe. It's all about how you use the time.

You can go through this entire 6 month process and change your mind at the last minute.

I did my whole process that way. The lesson I learned is that 6 months laid out before you feels a lot longer than the 6 months you have behind you. It goes by so quickly, the anticipation is what makes it feel so long.

I'm 3 months post sleeve and I am grateful every day for the 6 months beforehand. It really allowed me to prepare myself for my life changes. I gave up caffeine right away and used the time to slowly eliminate things from my diet or "hack" them to make them more nutritious. I started a walking regimen that got me up off the couch and walking 5-7 miles per day (this was a build up over time) I completed 6 5k's during that timeframe. It's all about how you use the time.

Thank you for the response.

I am scared right now, like really scared.

I told the surgeon that I was terrified.

I don't really want surgery, but I cannot remain this weight.

It is literally killing me.

My quality of life is very low.

I can't do things with my kids.

I am just so scared.

I like what you said about the six months as an opportunity to get mentally prepared.

Thank you for the response.

I am scared right now, like really scared.

I told the surgeon that I was terrified.

I don't really want surgery, but I cannot remain this weight.

It is literally killing me.

My quality of life is very low.

I can't do things with my kids.

I am just so scared.

I like what you said about the six months as an opportunity to get mentally prepared.

Every step you take in the right direction today, leads you to a better tomorrow. I know you can do it. I know you can be successful because you are here every day for the support. When I first started, I did what I know I could do. Eliminated caffeine straight off the bat and put myself on a 1200 calorie high Protein diet. I ate straight ketogenic Monday through Friday and on the weekend I stuck to 1200 calories, but if I wanted a donut, by God, I had a donut, but just one. Eventually giving up the calories for this thing I thought I wanted, but was never as good as I wanted it to be, became less important and I started choosing not to have them. If I ate 1400 calories one day, big deal. Get back on the horse tomorrow.

This 6 months is the perfect time for you to get in touch with what you want and for you to prove to yourself that you are worthy of your own care and concern. Don't wait til surgery to get on board with you.

I am looking at surgery sometime in August, due to my insurance mandatory waiting period.

The waiting period makes me angry, I don't understand why that is necessary?

They are hoping you'll give up or get impatient and pay for it yourself. Either way they wouldn't have to pay. Don't let them win!

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App