Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For people that have had the sleeve and are in their teens / twenties...

Have you found that your loose skin hasn't been too bad because you're still young? Has it bounced back better?

Anything specific you've done to prevent loose skin?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I swan and biked a lot, so for my arms and legs, everything is fine, belly-wise it's not the best but according to my surgeon and practician, it could have been way worse, but it's not very glamorous, still better than having an almost 40 BMI though!

Apparentely some young patients have no trouble with their skin, hope it'll be the case for you!

Waist trainer I used on exercise

Sent from my Z981 using the BariatricPal App

What waist trainer do you recommend?

A waist trainer will do nothing for loose skin that has been too stretched out.

Loose skin is all dependent on certain things: age, how long you've been overweight, and how overweight you are. Even at a young age, if you have 100+ pounds to lose, you will have loose skin somewhere that you can't do anything about without surgery. Other parts may be dealt with through exercise to help build the muscle up around the loose skin, giving it the appearance of being tighter.

I am definitely in the category of my loose skin being a problem. I started with a BMI of 60.4, sleeved on 6/7/2013 at age 19 (HW 483, SurgeryW 446, CW 260). I'm about to turn 23 and for the past year I've been amping up my strength training at the gym to gain more muscle.

I shopped around for some plastic surgeons 18 months ago who are in my area of central NJ and most places were really expensive, except for one which seemed sort of reasonable.

Fast forward- today i had my first consult appointment with a body plastic surgeon and he quoted me $9100 for a chest lift + chest reduction incl anesthesia. Its done at their outpatient office but I think I'm gonna try and get it done in the next few months!

On 1/16/2017 at 10:25 PM, Greensleevie said:

A waist trainer will do nothing for loose skin that has been too stretched out.

Loose skin is all dependent on certain things: age, how long you've been overweight, and how overweight you are. Even at a young age, if you have 100+ pounds to lose, you will have loose skin somewhere that you can't do anything about without surgery. Other parts may be dealt with through exercise to help build the muscle up around the loose skin, giving it the appearance of being tighter.

I have read that waist trainers (any compression garment) can be helpful with chaffing though. Even if it isn't helping you to force your skin into shape, if it's keeping it in place it can help prevent/reduce the irritation of rubbing all day.