Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi this is my first post. I started on my journey October 5, 2016. Im probably having my surgery around end of April - beginning of May. I still have some tests to do and I have to see the Bariatric Psychiatrist 2 times before surgery. Then my dr will give me a date for surgery. Im so excited and scared at the same time. My dr hasn't put me on a diet yet but id like to start now. Can anyone suggest a preop diet that isnt liquid? The only thing I have found are the liquid diets that are 3-4 weeks prior to surgery.

Sent from my LGL62VL using the BariatricPal App

My doctor put me on the Liver Shrinking Diet two weeks before surgery. I'm sure that could work for you. Just make sure you are going to be able to stick to it the last two weeks. You don't want to have your will power fading just when you need it most.

Sent from my XT1585 using the BariatricPal App

If I read your post correctly, it looks like you are looking for a diet until you get to the liver shrinking phase. When I was at that stage my nutritionist suggested a high Protein, low carb diet rich in vegetables. Start weaning yourself off fast food(if that is an issue for you) and soda-even diet. It really doesn't have much nutritional value. Also I was told to read labels and stick to correct portion sizes.

I hope this helps. Best wishes on your journey.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Agree with the above poster, low carb high Protein is the way to go if you want a kick start

Hi im currently doing a 6 mos diet with my surgeon & nutrionist. It's a requirement for insurance approval (BCBS Anthem). This is not the same as the pre op diet (liver shrinking, liquid diet, etc.) My diet now consist of: increase in Protein, nuts, yogurt, veggies, and very low carbs. Also im taking Multivitamins and practing chewing slower, timing my meals, and sipping Water. I was first discourage about having to do a 6 mos diet for approval, but its actually a good thing. Its given me time to research more and somewhat practice for whats to come. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G935V using the BariatricPal App

My doctor has me on low carb high Protein , no more tha 80 mg a day, and no sugar, and I have lost 10 pounds in a 12 days with no carb cravings. He recommended subbing one meal with a Protein shake, premier is preferred for him.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using the BariatricPal App

If I read your post correctly, it looks like you are looking for a diet until you get to the liver shrinking phase. When I was at that stage my nutritionist suggested a high Protein, low carb diet rich in vegetables. Start weaning yourself off fast food(if that is an issue for you) and soda-even diet. It really doesn't have much nutritional value. Also I was told to read labels and stick to correct portion sizes.

I hope this helps. Best wishes on your journey.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Same for me and it works.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using the BariatricPal App

Mine wasn't specific for this phase - just high Protein, low carb. I'm also phasing out caffeine, alcohol, fast food, and all excess sugar. I haven't had bread since Christmas day, that right there is huge for me :D. Also focusing on getting in all my Water. I'm using this as a time to learn what my body truly needs, so that after surgery when I get back to 'normal' eating I'm ready :)

I'm hoping for a Feb/March surgery date.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using the BariatricPal App

Edited by SarahSleeve