Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is wrong with literal overly sensitive assholes?

I get the runny nose too.....I am banded getting a sleeve.....I also noticed that I sigh when Im getting full, I know that sounds weird but I do.

Sent from my SM-J700P using the BariatricPal App

This was what was written and it was directed towards pre-op patients who are new and just needed to understand what could possibly happen and things that may help. Literally just the bare basics. (At the class, i actually did bring in tools like portion containers, shaker cups etc to clarify the visual part of the comment.

It was so great to meet so many of you guys at wednesday's pre-op diet class. I met so many amazing people, and i know that all of you be successful with your journey. I got so many questions and we ran out of time. Feel free to send me a message if you have any other questions or if you need additional support. I'm glad to help.

Just to recap for those who came, these were some of my key take aways for optimal success.

1. Realize that the signs of fullness are not at all what you're used to feeling prior to surgery. Everyone is different. Some people might hiccup, some might burp, some might feel like food is stuck, some people have runny noses. When any of these symptoms occur, stop eating immediately. You ARE full.

2. Pace yourself because eating to quickly can also cause many of those same symptoms. ( some people use baby spoons to help with that)

3. Visually understand how much food your new tummy will be able to take in at one sitting. Invest in small 4oz plastic containers to portion out your meals. And make that switch over from dinner size plates to appetizer sized plates and bowls. It is ok if you don't finish all of that and remember to go slow to avoid having food get stuck.

4. Conquer the emotional aspect of this process. Remember that all of the changes you're experiencing will get better in time. This whole entire process is all about mind over matter. Add additional support to your daily life. Follow up with Dr. Shauna Moore-Reynolds if you need to. Always focus on how far you've come, not how much further you need to go. Weight loss (even without surgery is not linear) you will get your goal at your own pace, so relax and enjoy it. There will be times where you may feel like you aren't losing weight, that time will pass. Don't give up. The weight will continue to fall off.

5. Invest in your tools for success. Get your stay cool Water bottles, or shaker cups, baby spoons, meal prep containers, slow cookers/ pressure cookers, air fryers, blender, lunch box, gym bag, shakes, supplement container, AND FOOD JOURNAL. (Whatever you need in order to stay on track and make life easy.)

6. Listen your body. There might be certain foods that no longer agree with you, sometimes it's temporary, sometimes it's permanent. Just avoid that food for the time being. It will get easier as time goes on. With these appetite changes you may discover new foods that you like. You may like certain foods and shakes now and hate the post surgery. It happens to all of us.

6. Start cooking all of your meals and plan ahead. I never worry about what i can't eat because i'm always eating delicious food, just made by me and made healthier. Learn to make your favorite take out meals. Use substitutions like greek yogurt, cauliflower rice, spaghetti squash etc., make sure that your pantry is full of all your favorite seasonings and sauces so you don't have to eat bland food.(Send me a message and i can share recipes)

7. Get used to shakes and water- it will be a huge part of the rest of your new life. Adjust the temp or stand up when drinking if you need to.

8. Try to avoid as much processed food as possible- avoid the frozen food isle at the grocery store (EXCEPT FOR FROZEN VEGGIES) and avoid the snack isle.

9. Read your labels because not all "healthy" food was created equal.

10. Stay off the scale. Don't stress over numbers. Take your initial measurements of various parts of your body. Take before and after selfies as motivation. Only weigh yourself either every two weeks or every month to avoid added stress. Remember it's about being healthier not about being a particular size or weight.

11. Avoid negative energy. We all have Debbie downer friends, we all have other overweight friends that aren't changing their lifestyles. Distance yourself from them and re-focus your energy.

12. Make your workouts fun. I personally refuse to do anything that i don't want to do, that's just me. So with that said, i will never be a marathon runner. But find things that you do like. Go for a walk on your lunch break, try swimming or tennis, or zumba, get a few workout buddies. Go at your own pace. Whatever your fitness level is at day 1, will not be where you are even a month later. Just keep going. Workouts definitely get easier with time because your body will adjust.

13. Encourage your family to eat healthy with you so you don't feel left out and temptations are left at the door.

14. Utilize other bariatric websites for your staple foods and shakes. Try bariatric pantry, Bariatric Choice, Bariatric Advantage, Amazon and bariatric food source. They sell tons of approved Protein drinks, shakes, Meal Replacement bars even Snacks.

15. If you experience pain or other health issues talk to your doctor about foods that fight inflammation like turmeric, garlic, green tea, and fish oil/ krill oil or anything with Omega 3.

SURGERY DAY AND POST OP RECOVERY:

What does surgery day feel like?

you will definitely be tired, and you will have lots of gas pain (it's more so annoying that painful), you will have absolutely no appetite what so ever and you will have to take baby sips of Water. Walk every hour like the dr. Says, it really will speed up your recovery time.

When you are able to do full liquids (you still won't have an appetite) but try wonton Soup without the wontons (just clear broth), low sugar keifer (it's high in Protein and probiotics) and sugar free popsicles to help with your hydration. Some people find RTD shakes easier during recovery. Most people (depending on your procedure) take anywhere from 5 days- two weeks before they feel good enough to go back to work. While your recovering go to wegmans or Walmart and walk around.

I hope this helps. Ignore anything that doesn't work for you.

Best Regards,

Jodi Wright

(202)812-8094

Jodiawright@gmail.com

Sent from my iPhone 6plus

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Thank you. That is some great information. I copied all of it.

Sent from my Y538 using the BariatricPal App

Don't let anyone rain on your parade. You're doing amazing things for yourself and for others by sharing your journey. Understand that when people feel the need down play another's success it is usually because of their own insecurities. You can please them all babes, just keep pleasing yourself and your doctors. It's all you can do.

xoxo

I think it's a fantastic post. I don't know why you would be attacked. My only feedback that I consider constructive criticism is the comment about avoid other overweight friends that aren't changing their lifestyle. If these friends aren't sabotaging you, why give up otherwise good/great friendships? I'm not sure if you meant they were or weren't sabotaging or too difficult for the surgery patient to be around someone for a little while that is eating a lot or things you can't have. But, the world doesn't change for us and we have to learn to live in it. The rest of that particular comment I totally agree with. I just wasn't sure what you meant. Again, great advice, no reason you should have been attacked.

Edited by mlbdl

I'm scratching my head at WHAT could be the problem with the info you put out. You wording, your advice was just fine. I wasn't there at the meeting, but good on 'ya for taking time to pass your experiences on to the newbies or newbies to be.

@@mlbdl thank you! - in regards to your question...long story short i had to distance myself from friends that didn't understand what i was doing. Or friends that only needed me to be their "pig out" buddy. I also had a friend who i guess had her own insecurities and she had an issue with me losing weight. So i simply mean't if you have that in your life, stay away from it.

@@Malin thank you!!

@@Wonder WomanNJ thank you!!! I know you had your surgery right after me. I hope you're recovering well. I did think about you the other day.

@@mlbdl thank you! - in regards to your question...long story short i had to distance myself from friends that didn't understand what i was doing. Or friends that only needed me to be their "pig out" buddy. I also had a friend who i guess had her own insecurities and she had an issue with me losing weight. So i simply mean't if you have that in your life, stay away from it.

Then I totally agree with you! It's a totally smart move to remove toxicity from your life. I've had to do that, too.

@@Malin thank you!!

@@Wonder WomanNJ thank you!!! I know you had your surgery right after me. I hope you're recovering well. I did think about you the other day.

I actually had to re-read everything you said just in case I missed something... :blink:

You did not write anything that could even be taken slightly offensive. Everything you wrote was extremely helpful and polite.

In my opinion, I think the people who thought your advice was offensive, are probably upset that they aren't at their goal, or didn't show up to class. I guess they envy your knowledge and outstanding ability to give advice. ;-)

I also did not know having a runny nose was a sign of being full. Unfortunately, I dealt with the "stuck" feeling in my sternum when I got out of surgery. So much fun... *sarcasm*

I appreciate the time you took to write everything. That was very kind of you. :)