Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I'm 8 weeks post-op and really haven't started to work out. Any one else in this position? I know that I need to, but with working full time and being gone 10 hours a day, I have no energy and no desire when I get home at night. Ugh! I suppose I'd be losing much more weight too, if only I could get myself to the gym.

I'm 4 weeks post-op and in the same boat. I'm in Minnesota, so even walking outside is out of the picture. However, I do have some resistance bands that my exercise physiologist gave me so I could do strength training at home before surgery, and today I feel good enough that I'm going to start those exercises again. Maybe you could do the same? Then you can just get started in your own home- much easier than going to the gym. Now to just get my butt walking... :-)

Surgery date- 12/14/2016

HW- 254.6

SW- 240.4

CW- 220.6

Sent from my SM-T217S using the BariatricPal App

you don't have to go to a gym although it is good to do so. get up 15 min earlier and do it before work as you will have more energy then. use your breaks at work to walk ( I walked the floors instead of outside.) I had 330 mi8n so I ate for 20 and then walked for 10 it all adds up. do chair exercises do some kind on indoor sport. even bowling is a start. exercise tapes are great and they modify them so you should be able to do one. dance to the music there are bands and balls to give you more options. yes I was sooooo tired but after a few weeks found my energy coming back when I started moving. we got this way because we over ate and under moved. it has to be a total lifestyle change if you are to lose the weight and more importantly keep it off.

@ahipchick my trainer and dietician would not let me work out until i was eating 800 calories a day, which took a couple months. And I started out very slowly! Take it slow.

Thanks so much ladies for the positive responses. Appreciate it! I do have resistance bands and I do walk up the stairs while at work. I'll just have to do alot more!

I was 8 weeks post op on friday and I started the gym at 6 weeks. I exercise for 1hr and 30 mins two-three days a week. On the days I do not go to the gym I walk 2 miles. I feel better when I exercise.

Exercise helps me a lot!

I went slowly, so that is of course what I recommend. It can be hard finding something you like that fits in your schedule. I got in a lot of exercise just walking the dog. We built up to 60/70 minute walks. I got in about 7k steps and he was less stressed so it was a win win for me.

If you like the gym, it can be a great place to start. The resistance bands are good. Tons of videos on places like YouTube, fitness blender and spark people.

You could try setting up a reward system for yourself. Like after 30, 40 or 60 workouts you get a pedicure. It can be good to start off with a smaller number of workouts too. Like 15 for a new scarf or shirt . 15 workouts is 3 weeks to prize if you work out 5 times a week. Making it attainable is important.

Doesn't work for everyone but I like it.

All the best to you!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using the BariatricPal App

Edited by Pazza

Besides the resistance bands I have bought a couple of Xbox 360 Kinect games. The Kinect system uses you as the controller. So you jump, squat, move side to side, reach, etc. The gyms suck at this time of year because of all the people who decide they want to get in shape. It is hard to walk outside because of the cold/snow/rain and sometimes the malls are a pain. Try to do what you can. Exercise is very important.

Hi, I was told not gym for 6 weeks

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App