Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Think I'm Having a Cracker Problem

Hi, all!

I am almost 5 months out from gastric sleeve, and I'm experiencing my first stall. I am trying not to get too concerned about it, as I knew it would happen at some point. However, I think part of the problem might be that I am eating too many carbs in the way of crackers. They seem innocuous enough: Mini Thin Edamame Rice Crackers (38 crackers = 120 calories, 3g Protein, 0 sugar) and Pistachio-Pomegranate Crisps (11 crisps for 90 calories, 2 g. Protein, 8 g. sugar), both from Trader Joes. When I start eating them, I feel like I can't stop. And then I keep thinking about them. I usually eat them with some protein, but then I go back for more.

Are crackers or similar crunchy little things triggers or gateways for you? Would these be considered slider foods?

This seems ridiculous to be overthinking this so much, but I really feel like these little crackers are a challenge for me! :)

Thanks for any thoughts!

K

I eat little crunchy things called peanuts. They are a little high in fat, but are great in the Protein department, as well as the low carb department, and especially in the crunchy department.

If crackers are that big of an issue, I would say don't even have them in the house. Substitute something (like peanuts) for crunch and Protein, and the cravings should eventually fade. Otherwise, you are setting yourself up for failure.

I eat little crunchy things called peanuts. They are a little high in fat, but are great in the Protein department, as well as the low carb department, and especially in the crunchy department.

If crackers are that big of an issue, I would say don't even have them in the house. Substitute something (like peanuts) for crunch and Protein, and the cravings should eventually fade. Otherwise, you are setting yourself up for failure.

Nuts are a great idea! Thanks. And I agree ... I think I need to get the crackers out of the house!

Pork rinds. Learn to love them. Eat them with hummus for variety of flavor.

I'm vegetarian, but perhaps I should check out some veggie Jerky options. Thanks for your response!

I definitely crave crunch. Have you ever tried Trader Joe's crispbread? On their own they're not very tasty but with some cheese or a bit of butter they make a nice snack. They're bigger than a cracker, but low in carbs and sugar. I love them for open-face sandwiches. It satisfies the desire for a crunchy snack, but I'm not tempted to keep eating them like I would if they came in a bag. My husband OTOH thinks they look and taste like bird food, haha.

@@kharenzhee

That's what I do. If they aren't there, they are a lot harder to eat. The biggest issue then becomes getting past the display in the grocery store. Good luck with it!

Edited by LittleBill

Nuts are great. I tend to eat almonds. And I get raw almonds for two reasons:

1) They are healthier

2) They aren't amazing, so you probably won't overindulge on them.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I can't have crackers in the house for the same reason.

You should make yourself some cheese crisps! You just melt some shredded cheese in a pan until it turns into little "crackers". Some stores actually sell them, too.

Also, look for Nut Crackers. They're good, and made with nuts as opposed to wheat and flour.

I would get rid of the crackers. You list the nutritional content, but don't include the carb amount, which I'm sure is high. Babbs' idea of cheese crisps is a good one.

@@kharenzhee Do you open the bag and eat directly from it? Reason im asking..... I found that if i open bag and only take out one portion... close it up and put it away i avoid over eating. I do that with a lot of stuff.... I sometimes go as far as eat one bite.... and throw the rest in the trash...

Or buy the 100 cal bags. that helped me

Sonoma Creamery cheddar or Parmesan crisps, available online or at costco (and presumably Sam's Club, since I think they're the same thing.) Six crisps have a total of 10 grams of Protein and 6 grams of carbs. You can also top them with slivers of meat, refried Beans, etc.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Are crackers or similar crunchy little things triggers or gateways for you? Would these be considered slider foods?...This seems ridiculous to be overthinking this so much

Early in my lapband career I was able to buy a full-sized bag or tortilla chips or similar and weight out either one of one-half ounce and be happy. Then came the day when the amounts which fit nicely into my day's intake didn't work for me. I began to hit the bag again. And again. I tried buying multi-packs of one-ounce bags. I'd eat one packet and, lo!, go back for another and another. It took a while, but I finally arrived at a workable solution: I stopped buying tortilla chips and similar.

You're not overthinking. You're going in circles. Stop buying the crackers. Try again in the future, if you wish, but stop for now.

I have found if it is something I love: Crackers, mixed nuts etc I put them out of site. Also, I put things in a harder place so it makes me stop think about it, am I hunger or bored. I put my nuts in my bedroom so by the time I go get a small bowl, walk to my bedroom I will change my mind. I also put crackers away so I don't see them all the time. It works for me. It might work for you too. Just at hought.