Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

i am waiting for my bypass surgery date. i recently read that 90% bypass patients end up in the hospital at one point due complications. is it true? i know complications can and do happen, but its still a scary statement. I am 31, my bmi is 41.8, h-5f 7in, i have pcos but otherwise no comorbidities. I wanted to have the sleeve but my surgeon told me that the bypass is a better option for me. he claims that 20% sleevers don't get the results they want and the bypass has better long term results. He says the risks are the same for both, its just half hour longer procedure. My surgeon has a lot of experience and has done over 1500 gastric bypass surgeries. So how come the sleeve is much more popular than the bypass?

No. Not true at all. Where I had my surgery, fewer than 6%of patients had complications of any kind, and those that require hospitalizations are extremely rare.

You've been outright lied to.

Sent from my SM-G925V using the BariatricPal App

My surgeon asked me which procedure I wanted, so I natural went with the sleeve as it is the most popular. I was told that the sleeve is less invasive and has lower risk for complications. In addition I believe the recovery is alot quicker. I know the sleeve surgery is about an hour long, not sure if the bypass is just only 30mins longer. I know people who had each type if surgery, some succeeded some didn't. In all the one's who failed was because the had the same mindset as before and did not change their eating habits. They ate less because they had no choice but they ate most of the same food.

Sent from my SM-G935V using the BariatricPal App

My bypass was only 1 1/2 hours. However, with the bypass you lose weight a lot faster than with the sleeve. Also, I was told that there is a 33% chance that you will gain the weight back with the sleeve.

My sugeon asked me which one I was interested in getting after he explained all surgeries that are available. I picked the sleeve because I didn't want any organs rearranged. My surgeon agreed that was the best option for me. However, if for some reason I need a revision down the road, he said that would not be an issue. Go with what your instincts tell you. It's your body. IMHO.

Yes ! Rearranging the organs is a huge thing to do- my sister is a surgeon ( not a bari surgeon - she does rectal surgery gross I know ) but when I first talked with her about having it she was 100% set on my not having bypass for that reason there are so many more complications that can be met down the road when other health issues arise when your insides are all moved around-

The hospital I had my surgery st is VERY pro bypass about 80% of their surgeries are bypass -- it's easier to loose - maintain the loss better ect/ despite all the information and pull from them for bypass I stuck to my guns and did the sleeve-

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Your doctor may have picked the RNY because it's what is best for you. I chose the RNY, and I am thrilled with my results. I think both surgeries are good, but the hard part is working on your brain and learning a new way of life.

Whoever told you those statistics is wrong.

Talk to your doctor and ask why he has chosen RNY for you. Then do your own research.

My bypass was only 1 1/2 hours. However, with the bypass you lose weight a lot faster than with the sleeve. Also, I was told that there is a 33% chance that you will gain the weight back with the sleeve.

I believe they can do the sleeve with the bypass just reroute the small intestines.

Your doctor may have picked the RNY because it's what is best for you. I chose the RNY, and I am thrilled with my results. I think both surgeries are good, but the hard part is working on your brain and learning a new way of life.

Whoever told you those statistics is wrong.

Talk to your doctor and ask why he has chosen RNY for you. Then do your own research.

I'm having the sleeve but I'm going to talk to the Dr about also doing a rerouting of small intestines because I've heard it helps alot for people with chronic Constipation, do you know if this is true?

i am waiting for my bypass surgery date. i recently read that 90% bypass patients end up in the hospital at one point due complications. is it true? i know complications can and do happen, but its still a scary statement. I am 31, my bmi is 41.8, h-5f 7in, i have pcos but otherwise no comorbidities. I wanted to have the sleeve but my surgeon told me that the bypass is a better option for me. he claims that 20% sleevers don't get the results they want and the bypass has better long term results. He says the risks are the same for both, its just half hour longer procedure. My surgeon has a lot of experience and has done over 1500 gastric bypass surgeries. So how come the sleeve is much more popular than the bypass?

Your surgeon should be able to provide their own complication rates. Based on my surgeon's data that isn't even close to being true. Also not close to being true based on all the studies being read. Here are my doctors short and long term complication rates for sleeve and rny for reference.

post-300502-0-36029500-1484075707_thumb.png

post-300502-0-58400100-1484075735_thumb.png

thanks to all who replied. My surgeon told me that as there is diabetes and obesity in my family from both my parents side, and i tend to crave sweet stuff, he feels that i will be more successful with the bypass. it makes sense but i still have this funny feeling.... i do a lot of research, most people i know had the sleeve and the few that had bypass are all doing fine. i know its hard work and i will try and do my best and hopefully all will go well.

My surgeon told me its faster. Im thinking, more than a half of an hour

Sent from my SM-N920P using the BariatricPal App

I have PCOS and I am having the sleeve done. My surgeon believes this will be the best surgery for my PCOS and liver. My girlfriend had the bypass and she cannot eat anything without dumping several times. However, when she had her surgery, the sleeve wasn't popular like it is now. Everyone's experience is different and I would listen to my surgeon. You can always get a second opinion though.

I have PCOS and I am having the sleeve done. My surgeon believes this will be the best surgery for my PCOS and liver. My girlfriend had the bypass and she cannot eat anything without dumping several times. However, when she had her surgery, the sleeve wasn't popular like it is now. Everyone's experience is different and I would listen to my surgeon. You can always get a second opinion though.

Wow I've never heard of someone dumping with every meal. I wonder if it is a surgical mistake?