Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Too Much Too Fast? Kinda Freaked out!

Hi everyone, It's been a while since I've posted, largely because I've been pretty busy enjoying my new life. But Lately I've been a bit worried that I may be on the edge of losing too much weight! I just stepped on the scale and weighed in at 198. I peaked a few years ago at 380 and my surgery weight was 351 this past May, so eight months ago. That is over 150 pounds lost in eight months!

I had been feeling pretty good with good energy. But I had some knee surgery (which I had previously written about in this forum) a couple weeks ago and am now in a pretty poor state of mind. I'm sure it is a combination of painkillers and general post-surgical lethargy and depression from sitting all day, but man do I feel weak. I feel like a bag of bones with a lot of gross saggy skin!

Should I be concerned tht I've lost too much too fast? How do I slow this down? I still can't eat anything to speak of. For example today I had a single serve container of Greek yogurt with fresh blueberries for Breakfast, a 16 oz. bowl of chicken Soup for lunch and two squares of pizza for dinner. I had a snack of three triscuits and a slice of cheese. Most days I also have a Protein Shake but am out today. I literally can't eat more than this.

Anyone else been here? Anyone have any suggestions on how to slow this train down? I can't get out to the dr. until I have this cast removed and am approved to drive, probably another three weeks or so.

*Just saw this was guys room. I'm really sorry for responding.

Are you meeting your Protein goals? It doesn't sound like it. How much Protein are you having a day? A guy 6 feet tall should be getting in at least 100G of protein a day.

I'd dial back on those carbs and up my protein. Even if it doesn't slow you down, you will keep your muscle.

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

Congratulations on your weight loss. Don't be too worried that you may be losing too much. The weight loss phase will come to an end and you will slide into the maintenance phase. It will happen quite naturally. The three most important elements after weight loss surgery are to meet your daily Protein, Fluid and Vitamin requirements. food is secondary because your body is converting your stored fat into the energy that drives your body. Thus you lose weight.

I wouldn't worry about it. Sounds like you've been doing well. Agree with what others have said about just focusing on Water and Protein to stay healthy.

From a BMI perspective you are still registering in the overweight category, so I doubt you have anything worry about from a health perspective.

Obviously I don't know your body type (as in you could be a professional weightlifter for all I know), but assuming you're not, you enter BMI "normal" range at 184 (assuming you're 6' as someone mentioned earlier - I'm on the phone app and can't see that data). You aren't underweight by BMI until you are 136lbs.

I'm not saying you should live and die by BMI, just illustrating it to help put your mind at ease.

I have the same issue. It's been hard for me to stop losing. I'm way past even my revised goal. I feel like I'm eating all the time, but it's hard to get a lot of calories in on my surgeons plan (which is probably why he doesn't encourage us to count calories).

But even at 144 lbs at 5'8", I'm still just kind of in the middle of the normal BMI range, so I'm sure I'm not at any risk. But I would prefer the weight loss to stop.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@UpandAtom

Sorry to hear about your leg. I know what that is like, I had a 3 level cervical spinal fusion 9 months after bypass.

And then.....my activity of course came to a screeching halt for a while. Having surgery can cause the blues for sure.

The thing is, you need to up your Protein so that you don't lose muscle mass. That will leave you feeling very weak and will cause you to work much harder once you get going again.

I would not be worried about the weight loss overall, you are still moving toward a healthy weight and guys do lose faster than women.

Try to reduce your carbs a bit and increase Protein, drink lots of Water and try to get some activity even if it is just chair exercise at this point.

I am headed into surgery in 9 days and I know how I get post surgery when it feels like you are back sliding. It should getter better over time.

Incidentally, my surgery is to get rid off a lot of loose hanging skin that actually bums me out. So maybe I wont get the post surgery blues. LOL

I hope you feel better soon!

Hi there, I have my 18 mos check up with Bariatric this week.

One thing as others such as James M. (he is a great resource) have said -- this is a pretty normal curve. I lost 100# in the same time but it was normal. My maintenance phase started while still overweight, but the loss I did have basically improved my health and life span projections by a huge amount (90% reduction on Type 2 Diabetes; 95% reduction in edema; greatly improved mobiity; stable neuropathy (surgery did not fix it, but kept it from getting any worse); now almost perfect blood fats. I agree with others about Protein. In retrospect, I ate too many carbs during the 6-12 month time.

However, the other thing you mention is depression and adjustment. I had this in spades. After 50 years fat, I just could not adjust to this new body, it seemed very abnormal. I was depressed alot and although such good improved health, it took me until just recently for this new bod to seem ok... I am now starting to have a self image that is not hugely fat. For example, I would always avoid booths at restaurants. For the first time, the other day, when the wait staff asked Booth or Table, I said Booth! Also, I don't really mind the loose skin. I did grow a longer beard to cover the saggy neck a bit (sorry ladies that option is rarely available to you), but if it bothers you you can fix that eventually.

Thank God for BariatricPal pal and all of you fine people! I am so happy that there are folks willing to reach out a supportive hand from time to time. I am so truly grateful. @@VDB how very perceptive of you. It will take me a long time to get used to the new me! I am going to try to post a before and during pic. I can't see how to do it on my phone though!

Okay here is a before and "during" I hope this works! Now comes the hard work, getting into real shape and staying in shape. I've got to get some new clothes again and some muscles!post-205151-14843500726696_thumb.jpg post-205151-14843500851483_thumb.jpg

Dude you are looking good. And yes it stinks to be full of energy and to be sidelined with an injury. If you can find a place and get your metabolic rate checked and make sure you are getting adequate calories to make sure it doesn't slip too low.

Thank you @OKCpirate. And, good advice, they can test for that at my bariatric practice, so I will make a point of it at my next visit.

Update. I have been much more diligent about Protein. I am drinking two 40 gram Muscle Milks a Day in addition to whatever food I eat. Still losing! I am down to 188. Holy Freaking Mother of Mothers! I never thought I'd EVER weigh this little in my life. I think I was in my 180's last in middle school! I am feeling a bit better, knee is coming along and I have been out hiking again. I joined a health club and have begun working with weights with my son. I am SO freaking weak! My son, just turned 18, is 4 inches shorter than me, and WAY stronger. That hurts the pride a tad. But he is very cool about it and helping me out. I am going to hit it 3 days a week on weights, two days a week at Physical Therapy, and one day with a long hike. We'll see how it goes!