Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nearly a year in and Not losing weight.

I had my band fitted in February 2016.

I've had 7 fills and I'm still only at 3.5cc. Is this normal?

I've actually started to gain weight again.

This is very depressing after spending so much money.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Sadly, it can take a while to get to an ideal place. It seems to me, however, that your experience is out of the ordinary.

Bands neither lose nor gain weight. Your weight gain is most likely because of your own food choices and, if applicable, sedentary living. If you have been eating properly for weight-loss, it's probably time for a general physical exam. Also to consider is that some medications contribute to weight gain either by stimulating appetite or affecting metabolism.

Assuming that you know understand what to expect from a band that's finely-tuned to you and your 'responsibility' as the band owner/user , I can only suggest that you make an appt to speak with the NP about your band's behavior.

Yikes -- I'll leave all the above where it is, but it occurs to me that 3.5cc after 7 fills sounds especially odd. You may have a leak somewhere in the apparatus. Make an appt to discuss the possibility and what to expect when working with a band -- what's called the "green zone" where all is good.

I'm guessing because I don't have a huge amount of weight to lose, my fills are small.

Yes, I have lost my way a bit on my food choices.

I had a hysterectomy in April 2016 and that's when things started to go wrong.

Need to get my head back in the game. Any tips? ........ anyone!

I don't feel any real restriction and I can eat almost as much as I could before the surgery.

I'm guessing because I don't have a huge amount of weight to lose, my fills are small.

Yes, I have lost my way a bit on my food choices.

I had a hysterectomy in April 2016 and that's when things started to go wrong.

Need to get my head back in the game. Any tips? ........ anyone!

I don't feel any real restriction and I can eat almost as much as I could before the surgery.

Then your saline level definitely needs to be reevaluated and increased. That you didn't have all that much to lose doesn't play into it. The fact is that the band just isn't where you need it. You want it where you feel satiated sooner than you experienced pre-surgery.

If the RD at your practice is really good, consider making an appointment to plan a new approach. The hysterectomy may well have an affect and can be taken into account. See the RD can also help you clean up your choices. If your not exercising, try starting.

And what's this "Treacle" business? That's murder on the scale. Try "Thumbelina."

I really hope you get on a better track. Make that "Trackle."

I exercise 4/5 times a week.

I'm feeling good today, head is in the right place.

Treacle is a nickname I've had for a very long time.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I am also 9 months out and have lost no weight after surgery i lost 45 before surgery so i only have 40 more to go.I go in for a fill on Friday I am at 6.5 I do feel some restrictions only when I eat to fast. Hang in there it will wprk

Sent from my ALCATEL A564C using the BariatricPal App

@@Treacle927 - I was banded in December 2106 - so while I'm not as far out as you, I'm feeling frustration like you! I've only had one filll - do not feel any increase in restriction, so I'm sure I'll have a second and likely third. 3.5 CCs after 7 fills seems pretty low- have you followed up with your Dr? I think after a year I'd be throwing myself on my Dr's doorstep. Think of you and sending positive thought!

@@Bandolin yes, I've had follow up with my doctor. He was happy enough and said we'll keep chipping away.

I know I will get to the right spot eventually and really, What's the rush!

It's a marathon not a sprint. I will be patient and keep plodding on.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I had my 6th fill last Friday and am hopeful i have true restriction to the point of when i drink cold Water i can feel it going through my esophagus. Also i can go 5-6 hrs without having hunger pain or growling in my tummy. Yeah finally after 9 months. I hope you get your restriction soon.

If you've been going to the doctor it sounds like he is not putting in enough. It didn't take me 7 to get restriction and I have a large band.
On your appt, ask doc to fill you more. I do t know about y but fills are costly. What size is your band?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Prdgrdma

So I guess after gastric bypass surgery, I cant eat flock chips because they are fried???  They sell them on here so I thought I could have them. So high in protein and no carbs.  They don't bother me at all.  Help. 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

It's possible for a very high fat meal to cause dumping in some (30% or so) gastric bypass patients, although it's more likely to be triggered by high sugar, or by the high fat/high sugar combo (think ice cream, donuts). Dietitians will tell you to never do anything that isn't 100% healthy ever again. Realistically, you should aim for a good balance of protein, carbs, and fat each day. Should you eat fried foods every day? No. Is it possible they will make you sick? Maybe. Is it okay to eat some to see what happens and have them for a treat every now and again? Yes.

• NovelTee

I'm not at all hungry on this liquid pre-op diet, but I miss the sensation of chewing. It's been about two weeks––surgery is in two days––and I can't imagine how I'll feel a couple of weeks post-op. Tonight, I randomly stumbled upon a mukbang channel on YouTube, and it was strangely soothing... is it just me, or is this a thing? 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

I actually watched cooking shows during my pre-op, like Great British Baking Show. It was a little bizarre, but didn't make me hungry. I think it was also soothing in a way.

• Clueless_girl

How do you figure out what your ideal weight should be? I've had a figure in my head for years, but after 3 mths of recovery I'm already almost there. So maybe my goal should be lower?
      · 2 replies
      1. NickelChip

Well, there is actually a formula for "Ideal Body Weight" and you can use a calculator to figure it out for you. This one also does an adjusted weight for a person who starts out overweight or obese. https://www.mdcalc.com/calc/68/ideal-body-weight-adjusted-body-weight

I would use that as a starting point, and then just see how you feel as you lose. How you look and feel is more important than a number.

2. Clueless_girl

I did find different calculators but I couldn't find any that accounted for body frame. But you're right, it is just a number. It was just disheartening to see that although I lost 60% of my excess weight, it's still not in the "normal/healthy" range..

• Aunty Mamo

Tomorrow marks two weeks since surgery day and while I'm feeling remarkably well and going about just about every normal activity, I did wind up with a surface abscess on on of my incision sights and was put on an antibiotic that made me so impacted that it took me more than two hours to eliminate yesterday and scared the hell out of me. Now there's Miralax in all my beverages that aren't Smooth Move tea. I cannot experience that again. I shouldn't have to take Ativan to go to the lady's. I really looking forward to my body getting with the program again. 
      I'm in day three of the "puree" stage of eating and despite the strange textures, all of the savory flavors seem decadent. 
      I timed this surgery so that I'd be recovering during my spring break. That was a good plan. Today is a state holiday and the final day of break. I feel really strong to return to school tomorrow. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Now that I'm in maintenance mode, I'm getting a into a routine for my meals. Every day, I start out with 8-16 ounces of water, and then a proffee, which I have come to look forward to even the night before. My proffees are simply a black coffee with a protein powder added. There are three products that I cycle through: Premier Vanilla, Orgain Vanilla, and Dymatize Vanilla.
      For second breakfast on workdays, I will have a low-fat yogurt with two tablespoons of PBFit and two teaspoons of no sugar added dried cherries. I will have ingested 35-45 grams of protein at this point between the two breakfasts, with 250-285 calories, and about 20 carbs.
      For second breakfast on non-workdays, I will prepare two servings of plain, instant oatmeal with a tablespoon of an olive oil-based spread. This means I will have had 34 grams of protein, 365 calories, and 38 carbs. Non-workdays are when I am being very active with training sessions, so I allow myself more carbohydrate fuel.
      Snacks on any day are always mixed nuts, even when I am travelling. I will have 0.2 cups of a blend that I make myself. It consists of dry roasted peanuts, cashews, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, pistachios, and Brazil nuts. This is 5 grams of protein, 163 calories, and 7 carbs.
      Breakfast and snacks have been the easiest to nail down. Lunch and dinner have more variables, and I prepare enough for leftovers. I concentrate on protein first, and then add vegetables. Typically tempeh, tofu, or Field Roast products with roasted or sautéed vegetables. Today, I will be eating leftovers from last night. Two ounces of tempeh with four ounces of roasted vegetables that consist of red and yellow sweet peppers, sweet potatoes, small purple potatoes, zucchini, and carrots. I will add a tablespoon of olive oil-based spread, break up 3 walnuts to sprinkle of top, and garnish with two tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese. This particular meal will be 19 grams of protein, 377 calories, and 28 grams of carbs. Bear in mind that I do eat more carbs when I am not working, and I focus on ingesting healthy carbs instead of breads/crackers/chips/crisps.
      It's a helluva journey and I'm thankful to be on it!

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches