Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone just skip the insurance hoops & go to Mexico?

I would have needed to gain a substantial amount of weight to meet my insurance eligibility qualifications for coverage since my BMI hovered between 30 and 32, and then jump through a series of hoops and get entangled in red tape, and my out of pocket expenses actually would still be higher than what I paid for surgery in Mexico. Going through insurance would have cost around $5000, whereas with self-pay my surgery was $4200 which included two nights at the Marriott and ground transportation. I absolutely do not regret having surgery in Mexico. I had an extremely positive experience there, and in the 15 months since surgery have surpassed my goals and had minimal adverse effects (no leaks; discomfort but not intense pain during recovery; no loose skin; little hair loss; and my lab work is excellent). It was also awesome for me because I felt like I was far more in control. I was able to choose precisely when I wanted to have the surgery, and align the timing perfectly with when my parents were coming out to visit (they were my support team since my husband was working) and I still had a few weeks left before returning to work. The process was refreshingly simple. I didn't have to go through nutrition classes or psychological tests, but instead took it upon myself to learn about the surgery and the lifestyle changes I needed to make. I read medical studies through NCBI and medical journals, books from patients, and forums for personal experiences. Several reputable bariatric centers have information on their websites that anyone can access about the post-op eating phases and such, and my surgeon's staff also provided me with the information I needed. I also contacted the patients of the surgeons I was considering to get their perspectives, which boosted my confidence. I had surgery with Dr. Fernando Garcia, and really liked him and his staff.

My endocrinologist is the one who had suggested surgery to me because other patients struggling with PCOS had benefitted from it. She said that several had gone to Mexico since they also had BMIs under 35 and couldn't get coverage, and that they'd been successful. I still did have consultations with local surgeons; the surgery through them would have cost between $29,000 and $35,000. Since I live in LA, the drive down to Tijuana only took a morning. We parked at the border parking lot and were picked up and transported to the Marriott. We were returned there after surgery, and I felt well enough to go shopping at the outlet mall a block away, and to stop at scenic spots on the route home. My endocrinologist has provided me with follow-up care. I knew there were risks in going to Mexico, but I also knew there were risks right here.

I have no real complaints about my surgical experience, but what did make it especially hard was that the support system that you typically get with local surgical centers isn't there after surgery...so you're kind of on your own.

That really depends on which surgeon you choose. Several surgeons in Mexico offer extensive follow-up care. I am over 2 years out and I could call up my nutritionist at OCC today and get answers to my questions. They still send me questionnaires and check in with me regularly.

I'm certain you're right....this was 10+ years ago and the programs I see now for surgeons in Mexico are much more comprehensive than mine was. Mine looked comprehensive...but it turns out it wasn't and I was a WLS noob at that point, I didn't realize how important all that stuff is. There was also a lot of push-back from places that did fills to not fill patients banded in mexico, or even bands they didn't put in themselves, especially if you were self-pay....I think that's changed now. I think surgery in mexico is fine if that's what works best for your needs and if you do the research.

So, I changed insurances to one that covers VSG. As per usual, there are 983 hoops to jump through as well as all the co-pays, deductible, and co-insurance payment for the surgery. I'd probably end up paying the same amount after all that. Honestly, after reading so much here, I'd almost just rather forget the insurance crap & head to Mexico!! Has anyone done this? Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Through a weird series of events I was given a pleasant surprise midway through my pre-op plan.

I found that I could self fund through the local center of excellence for less than what I'd have paid using my insurance. It may have been a bit more than Mexico.....but I was able to sleep in my own bed the night after surgery and all my follow up appointments have been a 5 minute drive. I can reach out to them with ease if ever the need should arise.

Ask around about self funding options. You may be amazed at the rates.

By doing so, I actually saved money and all the red tape was dropped. I was literally sleeved 3 weeks later.

Agreed, that's exactly what I did. I was pleasantly surprised and no crazy travel. And I had excellent care. My follow-ups are local with the surgeon who did my procedure. I like that security and peace of mind.

I had such a pleasant experience going to México and having surgery over there. As many of you have expressed I also wasn´t covered by my insurance so I went to Tijuana and after many months of research because it is my health we are talking about, decided to go with Dr. Frayre. BEST DECISION EVER! his team is totally professional, personal care, since I got to the hotel, the hospital, pre op, post op, after care, everything, he even checked up on me after my surgery months after! I can honestly say I was so happy with my results!

I decided at the end of November to have this surgery. Sort of on a whim. My brother in law had it 2 years ago and I have a cousin who had it almost a year ago.

I'm tired of the yo-yo dieting loosing and gaining... my entire life.

So I didn't even check out insurance I just talked with my husband and I talked with Nels @@Ready4Achange and picked my surgery date 1-25-27.