Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone just skip the insurance hoops & go to Mexico?

So, I changed insurances to one that covers VSG. As per usual, there are 983 hoops to jump through as well as all the co-pays, deductible, and co-insurance payment for the surgery. I'd probably end up paying the same amount after all that. Honestly, after reading so much here, I'd almost just rather forget the insurance crap & head to Mexico!! Has anyone done this? Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I didn't, but I very seriously considered it. I ended up deciding that the travel from my home to Mexico and back was a lot of hassle as well, and to stick with my local surgeon. I relied heavily on the follow-up and guidance I got from my surgical team, and for that reason I think I made the right call for me. I do think the medical care you get in Mexico can be as excellent as the care you get here in the US if you choose the right doctor and facility. That was never an issue for me. Good luck in your decision!

So, I changed insurances to one that covers VSG. As per usual, there are 983 hoops to jump through as well as all the co-pays, deductible, and co-insurance payment for the surgery. I'd probably end up paying the same amount after all that. Honestly, after reading so much here, I'd almost just rather forget the insurance crap & head to Mexico!! Has anyone done this? Thoughts?

Hi, please feel free to ask any question regarding the surgical procedures. We can schedule a phone, Skype or facetime consultation to answer all your doubts!!

My experience with insurance wasn't that bad, Yes, there were hassles, but in the end. I probably spent less than 2000 of my own actual dollars, so I'm not sure how that compares.

I didn't go to Mexico, but I self-payed. I was lucky to find a surgeon who has a reasonable self-pay fee. I paid partially with my medical flex account, my own money and a loan from my bank. If I had to travel after having this surgery, I think I'd cry. But that's just me, some people have been fine traveling back from Mexico.

I would have had to wait 5 years to qualify under my insurance. They require a documented history of a BMI over 40 and since I had lost and re-gained a bunch of weight on my own in the preceding years, I was JUST back up over a BMI of 40 when I decided to pursue surgery.

So, for me the choice was easy! Wait 5 year and then go through all the hoops and still end up paying a bunch of money for copays and deductibles and whatnot or have my surgery within the next couple of months.

So I did my research, picked a great surgeon, had a great experience, and I couldn't be happier. My PCP here in the States handled my follow-up bloodwork while my surgical team and nutritionist in Mexico answered all of my post-op questions and concerns. Worked out really great for me!

I jumped through all the hoops, missed time from work with all the required dr. appts, spent months trying to qualify and just ended up with a big fat denial. Mexico it was for me! Like @@JamieLogical, my PCP handled everything post op when i got back home.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

I jumped through all the hoops, missed time from work with all the required dr. appts, spent months trying to qualify and just ended up with a big fat denial. Mexico it was for me! Like @@JamieLogical, my PCP handled everything post op when i got back home.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

Oh, that's another excellent point. The amount of time you have to miss from work with all the appointments! I went to Mexico and still just took two weeks off for the surgery like I would have if I'd had it in the US. No other time off work leading up to that.

Actually, I didn't even miss a full two weeks from work, because I scheduled my surgery for Labor Day, which is a Holiday in the US, but not in Mexico!

@@fatgirlfreed hello, I have not had my surgery yet but I am jumping on the Mexico train. I had all my appointments scheduled in the U.S. But as @@O-Town Body Rock said it was just too many appointments and time off that I knew I wouldn't be able to take & I was nervous I would get denied because my insurance isn't the best so now I'm in the process of finding a surgeon in Mexico & I plan to go in the summer when my children are out of school & we'll just consider it a vacation.

@@fatgirlfreed It depends on who you are. If you can do your own research, and have a strong support network, it works very well. I am really glad I had mine done in Mexico. I thought the facilities were great. Huge room, very few surface areas for dust/germs to gather on. Rooms/halls mopped 3 times a day. No wonder the rate of infection was so low.

But I had a good NUT here, I knew what I was getting into, did emotional work ahead of time and kept up with my therapist during the journey. So know yourself. And there are great sites to evaluate surgeons and facilities.

Through a weird series of events I was given a pleasant surprise midway through my pre-op plan.

I found that I could self fund through the local center of excellence for less than what I'd have paid using my insurance. It may have been a bit more than Mexico.....but I was able to sleep in my own bed the night after surgery and all my follow up appointments have been a 5 minute drive. I can reach out to them with ease if ever the need should arise.

Ask around about self funding options. You may be amazed at the rates.

By doing so, I actually saved money and all the red tape was dropped. I was literally sleeved 3 weeks later.

Yes. Surgery wasn't covered under my plan. I waited awhile and finally did it on my own when I started having weight related issues. I wish that I'd done it sooner. The other big bonus is that for anything here I have to use whichever lose surgeon is in my network of crappy doctors. In Mexico I had my choice of anyone who wanted my money.

I did for my first surgery - a Lap-Band. At the time (10 years ago) my insurance wouldn't approve me despite a qualifying BMI because I didn't have at least two qualifying comorbidities to go along with it (because it would be safer to wait until after I developed hypertension and diabetes right?!)

Anyways, I self-paid and went through a doctor in Mexico. I have no real complaints about my surgical experience, but what did make it especially hard was that the support system that you typically get with local surgical centers isn't there after surgery...so you're kind of on your own. If you're a super disciplined individual with zero food issues and you don't need that sort of thing, then no sweat. I definitely learned that the support component, at least for me, is essential.

I have no real complaints about my surgical experience, but what did make it especially hard was that the support system that you typically get with local surgical centers isn't there after surgery...so you're kind of on your own.

That really depends on which surgeon you choose. Several surgeons in Mexico offer extensive follow-up care. I am over 2 years out and I could call up my nutritionist at OCC today and get answers to my questions. They still send me questionnaires and check in with me regularly.