Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My horrible experience at a restaurant.

It's not the fact that it was $3; it's the fact that no one should be charged a split fee, regardless, especially when the restaurant doesn't have the decency to notify the customer before the order goes through. I left my Yelp review and noticed that someone else complained about the split fee.

@@Hiraeth

You've contradicted yourself several times just from your original post. First you said it was the split fee, then you said it was them being rude.

It is ridiculous and unreasonable to be upset over a policy that's already in place just because you don't like it. It's their policy, they have the right to enforce it. As someone who works with contracts, if it's anywhere on the menu, you have no claim to say it's not fair because you didn't see the disclaimer. The fact that the disclaimer is there is good enough for a court of law.

Like I said, them being rude is the bigger issue, but let's just admit you basically started it by demanding they not charge you the fee they state they charge in the first place.

I've worked in customer service for 20 years. I always treat my clients and customers with the utmost respect, but that doesn't mean they are always right, and I will politely tell them so. That "Customer is Always Right" rule is a crock and only allows them to take complete advantage of the business owner, and good business owners know how to handle the situation by sticking to their guns, but at the same time doing it in a respectful manner.

If ever I do not plan to eat but accompany say my daughter, we always ask first if there is a sit charge for me (I usually will show my bariatric card if I do not plan to eat). I never ask to split her meal, but if I did I too would also check what the split fee will be. Sometimes it is very high.

I've used my bariatric card twice at a Chinese buffet. One charged me kids price and the other charged me senior price but I left the tip at the regular rate had I paid full price..

Yes, your doctor usually can give you a card.

I travel to Europe a lot, they charge a sit fee for anyone who sits. I know this isn't Europe, but restaurants are looking at all venues and how they operate.

Do you have the Bariatric Patient card? If not, you should get one and keep it with you whenever you dine out. I've never been told I can't order from the kids menu or pay the kids price at a buffet.

@@Kaylamh When she and i got LB surg years ago they gave us a card with all the information about our band... Not sure if they do that for the other WLS.

post-74134-0-58742100-1483558450_thumb.jpg

post-74134-0-43341100-1483558476_thumb.png

It's not the fact that it was $3; it's the fact that no one should be charged a split fee, regardless, especially when the restaurant doesn't have the decency to notify the customer before the order goes through. I left my Yelp review and noticed that someone else complained about the split fee.

@@Hiraeth

You've contradicted yourself several times just from your original post. First you said it was the split fee, then you said it was them being rude.

It is ridiculous and unreasonable to be upset over a policy that's already in place just because you don't like it. It's their policy, they have the right to enforce it. As someone who works with contracts, if it's anywhere on the menu, you have no claim to say it's not fair because you didn't see the disclaimer. The fact that the disclaimer is there is good enough for a court of law.

Like I said, them being rude is the bigger issue, but let's just admit you basically started it by demanding they not charge you the fee they state they charge in the first place.

I've worked in customer service for 20 years. I always treat my clients and customers with the utmost respect, but that doesn't mean they are always right, and I will politely tell them so. That "Customer is Always Right" rule is a crock and only allows them to take complete advantage of the business owner, and good business owners know how to handle the situation by sticking to their guns, but at the same time doing it in a respectful manner.

I have also worked in customer service, and not once did I act rudely because of an unhappy customer. At first, I was upset and confused about the fee. But that's not the reason I left the review. I left the review because of how rudely I was treated. It would have been nice if the manager had politely explained that it's on the menu. But they didn't. They acted uninterested, rude, and annoyed. That is unacceptable in a business.

So because I was wrong in my misunderstanding, does that mean I deserve to be treated rudely? No, it does not.

It honestly seems that you are defending the manager in this situation. You are telling me how I am wrong, instead of seeing my point of view. You are entitled to your opinion. However, I appreciate your input.

If ever I do not plan to eat but accompany say my daughter, we always ask first if there is a sit charge for me (I usually will show my bariatric card if I do not plan to eat). I never ask to split her meal, but if I did I too would also check what the split fee will be. Sometimes it is very high.

I've used my bariatric card twice at a Chinese buffet. One charged me kids price and the other charged me senior price but I left the tip at the regular rate had I paid full price..

Yes, your doctor usually can give you a card.

I travel to Europe a lot, they charge a sit fee for anyone who sits. I know this isn't Europe, but restaurants are looking at all venues and how they operate.

I went to another nice restaurant last night and I split a steak with my mother. I asked the waitress if there's a split fee, and she said, "What are you talking about?" :lol: So apparently, I'm not wrong for not for not knowing what that is, haha.

What counts as a "nice" restaurant in America is a huge variable.

What counts as a "nice" restaurant in America is a huge variable.

You're right. But I can assure you, the one I went to last night, was much nicer than the one I went to for lunch. :)

Nicer restaurants charge a split fee.

If you don't want to pay stuff like that there is always Applebee's.

Just because you are eating "less" does not mean you cost less to service.

Why should the restaurant or the server lose money on your table because you had WLS?

I completely agree with the above quoted post except that there was NO reason for the staff to be rude. When you are in the service industry (as I have been many times in recent past) you must always be polite to the customer. I should hope that management uses this experience to clarify their policy to customers in the future to avoid this.

@@sasharbinx Yes there is.... see above for a picture of mine. Over the years i have used mine many many times.... I do order off the kids meal, down south we have seafood on lots of menus.. so i ask if it's possible to grill the kids shrimp or fish and order a veggie instead of the fried potatoes... If they say no... i order Soup or an a la carte item... Buffets normally let you have for a kids or seniors price.

@@Hiraeth We all need to vent sometimes.... I think the point was not the $3... it was the actions of the management. I know that if I had been in the same situation, I would have asked also. I sometimes share meals with other WLS buddies... but i normally I just order a cocktail to drink and enjoy others company.... I had no idea what a "split fee" was... at first i thought, they charged to cut the burger in half...LOL..... I do see their point in the charge, BUT... on the other hand.... You should have been told that there was a charge to split a meal. Any good waitress would have said... that's fine, but we do charge for splitting a meal. I'm sure you would have paid the $3 and not thought twice... or just ordered a al a carte item.

I worked as a waitress for nearly 20 years and never would i have treated a customer in such a way. The manager was wrong in the way he/she handled it.... Period. He/she should have said.... Mam i'm sorry you were not made aware of the charge. My apologies... and removed it from the bill.... or asked would you like me to remove it from your bill? At that point i would have said... NO, but thanks for letting me know, paid the bill and be on the way.

The menu does state the policy. At times, customers are not happy because they didn't read about a surcharge . Like 15% gratuity on take out at a nice place.

That being said, trying to find a solution so they come back is the ideal way we handle it.

We want people to come back. Give them a free drink or appetizer on the next visit. It can be done nicely for a win win

@@sasharbinx Yes there is.... see above for a picture of mine. Over the years i have used mine many many times.... I do order off the kids meal, down south we have seafood on lots of menus.. so i ask if it's possible to grill the kids shrimp or fish and order a veggie instead of the fried potatoes... If they say no... i order Soup or an a la carte item... Buffets normally let you have for a kids or seniors price.

@@Hiraeth We all need to vent sometimes.... I think the point was not the $3... it was the actions of the management. I know that if I had been in the same situation, I would have asked also. I sometimes share meals with other WLS buddies... but i normally I just order a cocktail to drink and enjoy others company.... I had no idea what a "split fee" was... at first i thought, they charged to cut the burger in half...LOL..... I do see their point in the charge, BUT... on the other hand.... You should have been told that there was a charge to split a meal. Any good waitress would have said... that's fine, but we do charge for splitting a meal. I'm sure you would have paid the $3 and not thought twice... or just ordered a al a carte item.

I worked as a waitress for nearly 20 years and never would i have treated a customer in such a way. The manager was wrong in the way he/she handled it.... Period. He/she should have said.... Mam i'm sorry you were not made aware of the charge. My apologies... and removed it from the bill.... or asked would you like me to remove it from your bill? At that point i would have said... NO, but thanks for letting me know, paid the bill and be on the way.

LMAO! Me too! I was thinking to myself, "Is Ronald Reagan back there splitting burgers?" :lol:

You are 100% correct. I would have gladly paid the $3 charge, had it been explained to me politely. There was no need for rudeness. Had he said that, and asked me if I would like it removed from the bill, I would have said, "No thank you. I appreciate your polite explanation. I'm sorry for misunderstanding."

Thanks for your reply. <3

The menu does state the policy. At times, customers are not happy because they didn't read about a surcharge . Like 15% gratuity on take out at a nice place.

That being said, trying to find a solution so they come back is the ideal way we handle it.

We want people to come back. Give them a free drink or appetizer on the next visit. It can be done nicely for a win win

Yes, exactly. But honestly, there really is no need for free stuff. I just want to be treated with decency. The manager has not even apologized. A nice gesture can go a long way. :)

Thank you everyone for your input, even the ones to disagreed with me. You all responded in a very decent manner and I truly appreciate that. I do not expect to be treated differently because I had WLS. That would be absurd. I just would like to be treated politely. Had they told me beforehand, or even afterwards, in a polite manner, I never would have gotten frustrated. If I am wrong about something, I am very quick to admit fault. So, I admit, I misunderstood the policy. I can somewhat understand why it's there. But it would have been nice to at least been told this, instead of being rude. Something along the lines of, "I'm sorry there was a misunderstanding, if you'll look here at our menu, it says that there is a split fee charge. I hope this is ok. I'm sorry you had a poor experience, we will keep your comments in mind to serve others better in the future." I mean, how can anyone be mad at a response like that? I would have been so grateful for that response, or even something close to it.

Edited by Hiraeth

Anyone know if they have a similar card in the UK?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Not sure... check with your WLS... ask he/she about it... I can look mine up on line..... bonus, if im ever murdered and left for dead on the side of the road... they can track me by my band #.... LMAO. Kind of like Breast in plants... I crack my self up sometimes