Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Counting Protein carbs fat AND calories will make you insane

Formula: 1gr of Protein or carbs=4 calories 1gr fat= 9 calories

For the first week had three shakes a day. I made then with unsweetened cashew milk (125 calories each) and 1/4 cup of cottage cheese or yogurt with 10 grams of added protein (140 calories)

78 grams of Protein and carbs (79x4)= 326 calories.

By day 10 I was getting in at least 90 grams of protein and about 10 calories in carbs (100x4) =400 calories

When I had my one month NUT follow up I hadn't lost any weight in 8 days. I was OKed to start mushy food and start eating fish and chicken (i was avoiding meat).

The NUT looked over my food diary and suggested I add some fat to my diet. So I switched to 2% fat cottage cheese, full fat yogurt, started to have one shake a day made with 1% milk and added avocado, Mayonnaise and olive oil to my diet.

80 grams protein and 20 grams of carbs (100x4) = 400 calories

10 grams of fat (10x9)=90 total=490 calories

Now at 9 weeks out I have a Protein Shake in the morning, two meals of "regular" food and a high protein evening snack.< /p>

My goal is at least 100 grams of protein no more that 25 grams of carbs I don't monitor fat at all since my portion 3-4 oz size makes over doing fat nearly impossible.

That comes to 700-800 calories a day depending on how much (unmeasurable) fat there is in the meat

25 gr of carbs and 100gr protein (125x4)= 500 calories

+ 25 grams of added fat (20x9) = 189 calories

A total of 689 calories- plus the unknown amount of fat calories in meat or fish , total is also higher on days I eat cheese.

Hope this helps!

Check out the My Fitness Pal app. You can log all your foods and Water and it automatically figures your calories, carbs, Proteins and other nutrients. Easy to log store brands, and you can scan bar codes so no need to enter all the info yourself. I love the app!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using the BariatricPal App

we were told not to worry about calories early out. With all the Protein we were required to get in and the other rules we had to follow, plus the fact we weren't physically able to eat that much, the dietitian said calories wouldn't be an issue. She said just focus on fluids and getting the minimum Protein requirement.

after the first couple of months, I was eating around 800 calories - then closer to 1000 as I got closer to a year out.

Hi, I will be 6 months post-op in February. I am maintaining at my goal weight (Down 200+lbs). I may be an unusual case, but I have never counted a single calorie since surgery. It is such a freeing feeling.

Instead, I have focused on eating foods I know will give me the most Protein and fat, along with fruits and vegetables.

I am not going to lie. I eat things that are not "good" for me sometimes. (high carb etc...) but this still has not thrown me off course.

Protein shakes are something I cannot tolerate (I would spend my life in the bathroom)... so I did not drink a single one.

Early out, egg salad was my best friend.... Now cow is my best friend LOL.

For full DSers, we don't count calories. Ever. I haven't looked at a calorie since I had my DS in 2005. Just sugar and simple carb. grams (and, of course, Protein grams). Plus, you malabsorb. This renders a calorie count (e.g. say it's 1000 calories for a 10 oz. piece of steak [i made this up. I have no idea.]) incorrect. There are posts around regarding DS math, malabsorption & calories. I don't follow them bc I don't count calories. But I could direct you to them, if you want.

Edited by Postop

Hi, I will be 6 months post-op in February. I am maintaining at my goal weight (Down 200+lbs). I may be an unusual case, but I have never counted a single calorie since surgery. It is such a freeing feeling.

Instead, I have focused on eating foods I know will give me the most Protein and fat, along with fruits and vegetables.

I am not going to lie. I eat things that are not "good" for me sometimes. (high carb etc...) but this still has not thrown me off course.

Protein shakes are something I cannot tolerate (I would spend my life in the bathroom)... so I did not drink a single one.

Early out, egg salad was my best friend.... Now cow is my best friend LOL.

Dr. K. is excellent.

This should say 6 YEARS post op not months. :)

Thank you all for your replies i had known that dsers do not count calories but i have known other things that dsers are doing and at my doctors they tell me diffrently. Like i thought dsers intake more fat but my nut does not allow it she wants me on low fat low calorie foods that is why i thought she would eventually tell me about calorie amounts. That is why i asked. Thanks for all your responses. Very informative.

Sent from my SM-G920P using the BariatricPal App

Thank you all for your replies i had known that dsers do not count calories but i have known other things that dsers are doing and at my doctors they tell me diffrently. Like i thought dsers intake more fat but my nut does not allow it she wants me on low fat low calorie foods that is why i thought she would eventually tell me about calorie amounts. That is why i asked. Thanks for all your responses. Very informative.

Sent from my SM-G920P using the BariatricPal App

We do eat more fat than average people. Unfortunately, too many nutrit. provide standard weight loss surgery info. for everyone. We're not all the same. As DSers we eat very differently than sleeves, bands or bypassers. Esp. for DSers, fat is so impt. We need it to keep the internal wheels moving (so to speak). ;)

I was told that DS patients can malabsorb fat, so super high fat foods (i.e. Fried, greasy etc) aren't super good and can cause loose bowels. I have found that healthy fats have been great for keeping me insides feeling the way they should haha

Edited by Kaylamh

I was told that DS patients can malabsorb fat, so super high fat foods (i.e. Fried, greasy etc) aren't super good and can cause loose bowels. I have found that healthy fats have been great for keeping me insides feeling the way they should haha

This may be a "don't do as I do" kind of thing... but I revel in extra butter and salad dressing... and I have the lowest cholesterol my PCP has ever seen including athletes.

Only a few times I have "overindulged" in fats which caused me some unwanted restroom urgency. (I ate crab dipped in butter, salad with extra dressing and Creme Brule all in one meal.)

Counting Protein carbs fat AND calories will make you insane

Formula: 1gr of Protein or carbs=4 calories 1gr fat= 9 calories

For the first week had three shakes a day. I made then with unsweetened cashew milk (125 calories each) and 1/4 cup of cottage cheese or yogurt with 10 grams of added protein (140 calories)

78 grams of Protein and carbs (79x4)= 326 calories.

By day 10 I was getting in at least 90 grams of protein and about 10 calories in carbs (100x4) =400 calories

When I had my one month NUT follow up I hadn't lost any weight in 8 days. I was OKed to start mushy food and start eating fish and chicken (i was avoiding meat).

The NUT looked over my food diary and suggested I add some fat to my diet. So I switched to 2% fat cottage cheese, full fat yogurt, started to have one shake a day made with 1% milk and added avocado, Mayonnaise and olive oil to my diet.

80 grams protein and 20 grams of carbs (100x4) = 400 calories

10 grams of fat (10x9)=90 total=490 calories

Now at 9 weeks out I have a Protein Shake in the morning, two meals of "regular" food and a high protein evening snack.< /p>

My goal is at least 100 grams of protein no more that 25 grams of carbs I don't monitor fat at all since my portion 3-4 oz size makes over doing fat nearly impossible.

That comes to 700-800 calories a day depending on how much (unmeasurable) fat there is in the meat

25 gr of carbs and 100gr protein (125x4)= 500 calories

+ 25 grams of added fat (20x9) = 189 calories

A total of 689 calories- plus the unknown amount of fat calories in meat or fish , total is also higher on days I eat cheese.

Hope this helps!

Can you tell me which Protein Shake you used and how did it taste and did you add anything to them to help the taste?