Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

CONFESSION: Surg 12/22 with stretched stomach?

I'm seriously concerned and need honest advice. (Please, no hate. I'm already guilt stricken enough).

I had gastric sleeve surgery on 12/22/16. I got home and was fine. liquid diet for 14, no problem. After about day 8, I started craving the sensation of chewing food. So i scrambled an egg and slowly ate it. The next day, I found my husbands candy stash and gobbled down 8 (i know, i'm a horrible person) small sized Reeses Peanut Butter cups (the small ones that are in the tin foil). I got really sick to my stomach after it happened and within 30 minutes, I had diarrhea.

I instantly threw away all the candy out of remorse. However, I'm worried I stretched my stomach because before that, I was only able to take a sip of Water every 7 minutes or so. Now, i'm able to drink several sips within a 1-2 minute period.

I'm so mad at myself. But I want to know if i just messed up my whole sleeve.

Edited by nburton5

Define "hate"? Do you consider "hate" telling you the truth of the situation? The opposite of wanting to be coddled and patted on the head and told everything will be just fine and everyone makes mistakes?

'Stretching' your sleeve is the least of your worries. You've given yourself a higher chance of developing a leak or other life threatening issues by not following your surgeons PRESCRIPTION diet. Please call their office and let them know what happened to get yourself checked out. For your peace of mind and ours! Keep us posted!

First, you can't really 'stretch' your sleeve. The surgery we had removes the fundus of the stomach, which is the stretchy part, leaving just thick, muscular tissue that the sleeve is formed from. So it's unlikely to stretch...however, putting food that needs to be digested in the stomach into a new sleeve CAN cause issues with the staple line and you need to be on the lookout for signs of leaks: fever, abdominal pain and bloating. Again, not likely but possible.

No hate from me, we've all felt the urge to eat things we shouldn't...my concern is that you need to develop some kind of coping mechanism to keep you from giving in to the urges. In my experience, just keeping it all out of the house isn't enough. You're going to encounter foods you shouldn't eat all the time...what is your plan for the future so that you don't indulge? It's definitely worth spending some serious time planning how to avoid/evade all the food challenges that are present in our everyday lives. I'm 6 months out and attend many social functions centered around food, so I had to come up with a plan that kept me from eating inappropriately at buffets and cocktail parties. Your challenges may be different but won't be any less difficult, so make a plan and use it. Good luck!

Also, not to beat a dead horse, but if you're too embarrassed to call your surgeon (I still think you should bite the bullet and just do it), please at least look up symptoms of a leak and watch for them just in case. If you feel ANY of them, get your bottom to an ER, stat.

Define "hate"? Do you consider "hate" telling you the truth of the situation? The opposite of wanting to be coddled and patted on the head and told everything will be just fine and everyone makes mistakes?

'Stretching' your sleeve is the least of your worries. You've given yourself a higher chance of developing a leak or other life threatening issues by not following your surgeons PRESCRIPTION diet. Please call their office and let them know what happened to get yourself checked out. For your peace of mind and ours! Keep us posted!

Hate, as in just outright nasty comments. I've seen people on Facebook groups get pretty messy. I do want honesty. Thank you for providing it. This all happened two days ago. I will call the doctors office.

@@nburton5

We are just worried about your safety!

Im.2.5 years out, and I've managed to gain a pound or so due to binging on chocolate these last few days. That's how it goes sometimes, and the only thing hurting me is my pride and waistline. Otherwise, it's on me.

With you not being fully healed, people have a tendency to get a bit stern because of the safety factor. I feel the need to let you know how dangerous it can be, and not to screw around with it. It would be like you trying to run on a broken leg.

After you're healed? None of our beeswax what you're eating. But you want support from us? You got it!

First, you can't really 'stretch' your sleeve. The surgery we had removes the fundus of the stomach, which is the stretchy part, leaving just thick, muscular tissue that the sleeve is formed from. So it's unlikely to stretch...however, putting food that needs to be digested in the stomach into a new sleeve CAN cause issues with the staple line and you need to be on the lookout for signs of leaks: fever, abdominal pain and bloating. Again, not likely but possible.

No hate from me, we've all felt the urge to eat things we shouldn't...my concern is that you need to develop some kind of coping mechanism to keep you from giving in to the urges. In my experience, just keeping it all out of the house isn't enough. You're going to encounter foods you shouldn't eat all the time...what is your plan for the future so that you don't indulge? It's definitely worth spending some serious time planning how to avoid/evade all the food challenges that are present in our everyday lives. I'm 6 months out and attend many social functions centered around food, so I had to come up with a plan that kept me from eating inappropriately at buffets and cocktail parties. Your challenges may be different but won't be any less difficult, so make a plan and use it. Good luck!

I appreciate your reply and your honesty. You make me feel human. I realize Ive got to find a better way to handle boredom. Do you mind me asking what you do in situations such as events and cocktail parties?

No hate, just concern. My concern for you is that at a time when you can't help but be most focused on your sleeve and changing your life and most vulnerable Healthwise, you succumbed to eating what you shouldn't. What happens when you can fit more in your stomach, aren't worried about your healing, and are confronted with temptation?

If I were you (and I'm doing this myself, because I am you in many ways!) I would seek out therapy specifically for eating disorders. Compulsive eating and food-centered coping mechanisms will keep you from being successful if you aren't careful. You wouldn't go through all this if you didn't want it, but if you don't conquer your desire to eat what you shouldn't, you'll regret wasting your chance at a healthy, thinner future.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

We're human....not robots lol granted some of us have greater will power than others (def not me!) I'm glad u were brave enough to post something like this simply because I'm sure there are people who have gone through this and are just scared to put themselves out there. I too have not followed my diet accordingly which I feel guilty of as well. I've been going through the diet phases 2 or 3 days earlier than instructed too. It's harder for some people than others just know your're not alone and we all learn from our mistakes!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using the BariatricPal App

I had my surgery on 12/15 and on 12/24 ate 3 chocolate lindor candies, a chunk of pepperoni and some soft cheese (not all at once). I feel okay (was badly constipated the day after) and didn't mention it to my surgeon. I've been back on track since.

I had my surgery on 12/15 and on 12/24 ate 3 chocolate lindor candies, a chunk of pepperoni and some soft cheese (not all at once). I feel okay (was badly constipated the day after) and didn't mention it to my surgeon. I've been back on track since.

I think I'm okay too. I've def learned my lesson!! I appreciate your honestly. Makes me feel more human :)

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I appreciate your reply and your honesty. You make me feel human. I realize Ive got to find a better way to handle boredom. Do you mind me asking what you do in situations such as events and cocktail parties?

Boredom, for me, is MUCH more dangerous than being around food I shouldn't eat...I learned after this surgery just how often I'm sitting around, working at my desk or on my computer and suddenly, I'm like 'hey, let's EAT something!!'. I have to be physically busy to keep that at bay, so I get up and DO something. I work from home, so I clean or organize or walk my pups or whatever I need to do to get past the urge to eat. Drink some Water (which we all pretty much need to do at any given moment anyway!) and wait 15 minutes. If my stomach is still screaming 'hunger' I'll have a bite of Protein, and do the water/wait thing again. It's mostly about your head, not truly needing food, so the trick is to trick your brain, not your stomach.

When we're going to a social function, I make sure I put some Protein in my stomach before we ever leave home, then I visualize what amount/types of food will be appropriate for me to eat. Shrimp, meatballs, grilled meat skewers, cheeses, etc....all things I can have. Crackers, breads, sweets...all NOs. Cocktail parties are easier, because I can just forgo the food altogether and nurse a glass of wine or a vodka tonic, or maybe just grab a small bit of cheese or a meatball and I'm good to go. When you're milling around in a crowd, talking to numerous people, it's less tempting to eat and less likely that someone will notice and/or comment on what you're not eating. If it's a buffet meal, I look at those starches like they're the most disgusting food I've ever seen. I think about my teeny, tiny pouch and how little I can put in it, and what on earth are mashed potatoes or tortellini going to do to help me feel better and lose weight? Again, it's SO MUCH a mind game. Your body can absolutely survive without all the crap we used to feed ourselves, it's convincing your mind that you don't need it that's the hardest.

Once you start losing weight, looking and feeling great because of the weight loss, it becomes much easier to stick to the prescribed food plan. You'll SEE the results of doing the right thing, and you'll like it (at least I've liked it a LOT so far!). Then it's easier to tell your brain to shut the hell up and eat properly. The proper eating becomes more of a habit...I don't really even crave carbs much any more, and when I do, it's vegetables and fruits that I want.

This is all a long, wordy way of saying that you have to give your body the mental support it needs to do this thing. You got help in the form of a greatly reduced food capacity, now your part is to use that tiny capacity to it's fullest. Crappy carby food isn't the answer, dense Proteins, healthy fats and high-quality complex carbs are the way forward. Don't cheat yourself out of this fantastic opportunity! Good luck to you and stick around...the support here is amazing and has gotten me through many tough days :)

@@nburton5

We are just worried about your safety!

Im.2.5 years out, and I've managed to gain a pound or so due to binging on chocolate these last few days. That's how it goes sometimes, and the only thing hurting me is my pride and waistline. Otherwise, it's on me.

With you not being fully healed, people have a tendency to get a bit stern because of the safety factor. I feel the need to let you know how dangerous it can be, and not to screw around with it. It would be like you trying to run on a broken leg.

After you're healed? None of our beeswax what you're eating. But you want support from us? You got it!

Well said! Love that!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App