Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Probably the last quiet day at the gym for a while

...I asked her how much they charged, so she handed me a sheet of paper with all the options listed out. When I saw the prices, I ALMOST asked if that included the happy ending...

Bill,

You meant one of these from Friendly's, right? :)

free-happy-ending-sundae-300x218.jpg

Uhh, yeah, that's right. ;-) :P

@@LittleBill

Around February the gym will quiet down again. I'm trying hard not to get frustrated when I can't get to a machine or find equipment. :angry: This will be my 2nd year as a regular at my gym. When I was a newbie I remember being in awe of the committed regulars...It motivated me to keep at it.

Maybe I should go back in February then. :o When I joined, the membership guy told me if I injured myself I could "suspend" my membership until I was able to participate again. I could call in and tell them I injured my humerus and I'll be back when it gets better.

@@LittleBill

you are humerus! :P

Don't let the new years people distract you from your goals. You might inspire some people to get healthy. Ask your gym staff when they see the best times to hit the gym. They will see the trend when the gym is less crowded.

@@LittleBill

you are humerus! :P

Don't let the new years people distract you from your goals. You might inspire some people to get healthy. Ask your gym staff when they see the best times to hit the gym. They will see the trend when the gym is less crowded.

I can see it now. I'll be working out, and the membership director will bring someone in so he can use me as inspiration to get in shape. He will point me out and say, "Do you want to end up looking like him!?!" :P

I did do what you say though, when I joined. I asked when the best times were to arrive. I work for myself, so my schedule is flexible most days. Their slow time is from 1000-1400, so I just plan to arrive in that time frame. It usually works out pretty well.

...I asked her how much they charged, so she handed me a sheet of paper with all the options listed out. When I saw the prices, I ALMOST asked if that included the happy ending...

Bill,

You meant one of these from Friendly's, right? :)

free-happy-ending-sundae-300x218.jpg

Uhh, yeah, that's right. ;-) :P

>@@LittleBill

Around February the gym will quiet down again. I'm trying hard not to get frustrated when I can't get to a machine or find equipment. :angry: This will be my 2nd year as a regular at my gym. When I was a newbie I remember being in awe of the committed regulars...It motivated me to keep at it.

Maybe I should go back in February then. :o When I joined, the membership guy told me if I injured myself I could "suspend" my membership until I was able to participate again. I could call in and tell them I injured my humerus and I'll be back when it gets better.

Who was the marketing genius at Friendly's that came up with that dessert name?

A few years back, I was there with my family, the waitress asked me after our meal "would I like a happy ending?".

My son, who was a young teenager at the time, hid behind his menu and was snickering.

Since I try to be a gentleman most of the time, I had to say with a straight face, "no thank you"....but the thought did cross my mind to answer that differently. :)

During lunch is slow? Wow.

That's what he said. I usually try to arrive around 1000, or if I have to go later, around 1300. I am usually in there with the geezers, although there always seem to be a few muscle heads no matter when I go in.

@@4MRB4PHOTO I've been in that situation too. Mrs. LittleBill, knowing my penchant for joking around, usually hits me up with a preemptive glare when she sees that type of situation developing.

Like @@jenn1, This is also my second full year going to the gym (Yay me!), and I dread this time of year. I appreciate the enthusiasm for the New Years resolutions people, but the parking and lack of equipment is really frustrating and frankly kind of demotivating for me. It's all I can do to hang in until February when they all fall by the wayside, but I have no choice. It's not like I can do anything outdoors here in Idaho with temperatures in the friggin teens and snow and ice all over the ground right now.

Sigh. Is it spring yet??

@@Babbs Cross country skiing! I used to do it quite a bit when I was a boy. The man who taught me had tips on both ends of his skis so he could go backward.

As for the crowded parking lot, my gym is in the same building as a large medical establishment. I have to park so far away I get half my day's walking accomplished just going in from my truck and back out again.

@@LittleBill

I hate winter and winter sports. The only thing I would possibly consider is snow shoeing. But obviously I can't do that every day, so I need to get my butt to the gym. I sit on my butt a lot for work, so I have to exercise at least 5 days a week or said butt will grow ;)

@@LittleBill You can't always assume on the geezers, at least you can't in the pool. Trust me, I've seen a 96 year old do a 200 backstroke, and watched a 91 year old do several races in a multi event, 2 day meet. I know of a 80+ year old that can do a 500 freestyle.

That 91 year old, she got a little dehydrated and so they called the ambulance just in case. She told them I have a party this afternoon I'm not going with you all. They said you're in better shape than we are. They left, she went to her party, and came back and swam her events the next day.

The pool is a great equalizer. I endorse it whole heartedly for people out of surgery as the best exercise (once cleared) because walking puts a lot on your knees. Unless you are doing a ton of breaststroke, swimming is better than walking.

@@swimbikerun Oh, yeah, I know! My Grandpa lived to two months shy of 98. He didn't give up his walk behind mower until he was 92. Most of the geezers I have encountered so far float more than swim. And I Water walk in chest deep more than swim myself. I have pretty bad arthritis in both my shoulders from (the doctor says) lots of heavy lifting on the job. Swimming aggravates that.

@@LittleBill Have you seen the paralympic swimmers? There is a Chinese guy who does the 50 fly (LCM distance) and has no arms. It can be done.

We still have people competing in the middle age and above group.

@@LittleBill Have you seen the paralympic swimmers? There is a Chinese guy who does the 50 fly (LCM distance) and has no arms. It can be done.

We still have people competing in the middle age and above group.

I have not. I am functionally illiterate when it comes to sports. There was a time many years ago where I had to do the breast stroke fully clothed, wearing a pack, and carrying a rifle. We couldn't really use our arms much then, either.