Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lapband / Gastric Bypass

Hello all,

I am supposed to have Lapband surgery next month (waiting on cardiac clearance), but I am stuck between lapband and the gastric bypass (no final decision has been made as to which one I want yet). Initially, I was aiming for the bypass, but changed my mind because of the drastic weight loss it causes. I am currently 222lbs with hypertension and I am wondering how much of a drastic change it would be if I considered doing the bypass as oppose to the band? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Sent from my SM-N910T using the BariatricPal App

Hello all,

I am supposed to have Lapband surgery next month (waiting on cardiac clearance), but I am stuck between lapband and the gastric bypass (no final decision has been made as to which one I want yet). Initially, I was aiming for the bypass, but changed my mind because of the drastic weight loss it causes. I am currently 222lbs with hypertension and I am wondering how much of a drastic change it would be if I considered doing the bypass as oppose to the band? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Lap band has many possible complications, if there is a choice to be made choose between bypass and sleeve not the band. Bypass is for someone looking to loose 100 lbs and sleeve if you are looking to loose 60 or 80.

Sent from my SM-G550T using the BariatricPal App

I chose to have lapband. I do not want to remove 80% of my stomach with sleeve or face malabsorption with bypass. I am happy with my band. I'm compliant and my surgeon is very skilled and I trust when he tells me all WLS have the potential for issues, and he will work closely with me. I know numerous people who love their lapband and have not had issues.

I suggest you work closely with your medical team to understand WLS options and issues. Also be honest with yourself about your ability to be compliant with any surgery. What restriction level do you need. I'm not perfect, but I work within the limits of my band.

Banded 10/12/16

If you're unsure you should really talk to your surgeon. It's a personal choice based on your circumstances and surgeon recommendations.

That being said, I personally would not go with the band. The people who do not have issues long term seem to be the exception, not the rule. All WLS will only succeed with compliance to your plan, however I've heard too many horror stories about the band and listened to my surgeon when he said that they are phasing them out almost everywhere due to the complications (most not related to compliance, like having the material fuse to liver and organs and slipping/erosion.) the sheer amount of revisions and maintenance necessary was enough to tip the scales for me as well. On top of that I know people who have struggled to get a revision to bypass or sleeve because insurance does not want to cover a second surgery.

I'm not knocking anyone who chooses the band, these are my personal opinions and personal recommendations from my surgeon who does not band people any longer for ethical reasons.

Good luck in whatever you choose!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Banded 4/06 and due to slipping I had to have a revision done. Bypass 12/09/16. I do know a couple of people live healthy lives with there band but I know more that went through what I went through. I strongly recommend doing it ones with the bypass.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320AZ using the BariatricPal App

Lapband.... after talking to my surgeon, he said the only reason doctors are phasing them out is time and money.

Too much aftercare for the doctors.

Why take out 80% of your stomach if not needed.

It can't be reversed....

I don't know anyone with a band longer than 5 yrs that hadn't had to have it replaced or removed.

For that reason it was not an option for me, I had no desire to have to do this again. I had the sleeve done.

lapband is great if your willing to do the work involved its not a quick fix it will take alot of effort on your part i got the band in nov 2012 and lost 110 pound and have kept it off. because i do the work i have not been back to see the dr for a fill in 3 1/2 years

@@cruehead - great to read. The gastric band has been in the USA since 2001 and is an FDA approved WLS and popular with many people. So often people bash the band. It is great to read your success. I love my band.

Banded 10/12/16

Edited by Treadmillwalker

I don't know anyone with a band longer than 5 yrs that hadn't had to have it replaced or removed.

For that reason it was not an option for me, I had no desire to have to do this again. I had the sleeve done.

I personally know people who have had lapband surgery over 10 years without issue. Every surgery has the possibility of issues that are related to having any type of surgery. Someone who develops scar tissue and the band sticks to the liver or stomach would have the issue with scar tissue with any surgery. Each body responds differently to surgery, and their appendix removal surgery can cause the same issue.

Banded 10/12/16

Edited by Treadmillwalker

lapband is great if your willing to do the work involved its not a quick fix it will take alot of effort on your part i got the band in nov 2012 and lost 110 pound and have kept it off. because i do the work i have not been back to see the dr for a fill in 3 1/2 years

I had the lapband for about 8 years. Many times adjustments are necessary because the body changes with time and/or weight loss, not necessarily how well one does on their diet...

I just wanted to correct that little part, just in case newbies are reading this, otherwise, congrats. :)

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App

Not bashing the band it worked for me and I had health problems to come up. Not saying you will have the same issues. Good luck and God bless

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320AZ using the BariatricPal App

Hello all,

Thank you.

Lap band has many possible complications, if there is a choice to be made choose between bypass and sleeve not the band. Bypass is for someone looking to loose 100 lbs and sleeve if you are looking to loose 60 or 80.

Sent from my SM-G550T using the BariatricPal App

Thank you so much. I hope you had a good new year.

I chose to have lapband. I do not want to remove 80% of my stomach with sleeve or face malabsorption with bypass. I am happy with my band. I'm compliant and my surgeon is very skilled and I trust when he tells me all WLS have the potential for issues, and he will work closely with me. I know numerous people who love their lapband and have not had issues.

I suggest you work closely with your medical team to understand WLS options and issues. Also be honest with yourself about your ability to be compliant with any surgery. What restriction level do you need. I'm not perfect, but I work within the limits of my band.

Banded 10/12/16

I hope you had a great new year. The surgeon is suggesting I do the bypass, but I am afraid of having most of my stomach stapled and lack nutrition as well, but they said it is entirely up to me (weird). I meet with my nutritionist/psychologist this week. So we will see what happens. Thank you so much for your feedback.