Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Year, New Start Challenge- OFFICIAL thread

Is it to late to join. I had TT w/ Lipo and extended arm lift on 12/12. With being home all day recovering and the holidays I have really picked up some bad habits and have gotten off track. Can I start my starting weight Sunday 1/8. I am still pretty swollen so my weight may be a little off but I know I have gained some weight. Thanks!

Never too late to join! We are just doing this for a SUPPORT and ACCOUNTABILITY thread more than anything. Everyone is essentially answering to themselves for their decisions, and what they try to do for loss, but this thread is here to document our decisions and our paths over the next few months. that's all!

Welcome everybody, have a great weekend. Remember to post your loss info each week and update from STARTING weight.

Ok weighed myself this morning..

Jan 1 weight 203.4

Today (jan8) 200.8

Goal 185 (18lb loss)

I also took measurements for the first time in this process. Chest 44, waist 40, hips 47, thigh 27.8

In here to keep motivated and on track. My goal for the end of the 12 weeks is 18lbs. So 185

Edited by Travelher

Okay, weighed myself this morning and I am up another 3 pounds!! So, I'm starting off at 158.6. Just got a Fitbit and going to move more and drink my Water. I'll check in again next Sunday with better news, I hope!

As of this morning my weight was 157.9. Not quite a pound but I'll take it!!

My weekly weigh in, so last Sunday I was 227.6 and this morning I weighed 222.1..... Yay! That is a good 5.5 lbs down.... And I am sure everyone knows as the day goes on, when you eat you gain weight just until it comes out again. Lol I am excited and hope this continues! Good luck!

Sent from my XT1080 using the BariatricPal App

I'm joining this challenge for accountability. I had the gastric sleeve surgery 3 years ago. I lost 50 pounds and have gained 21.2 pounds back over the last year or so.

I'm not making excuses. I haven't been exercising and I have not followed the rules: 1) Protein first, 2) veggies second and 3) not drinking immediately before, during or immediately after meals.

I know from experience that following the rules and exercising allows me to work my sleeve and get the most I can out of the tool I have.

So, here's what I'm doing:

1) Track food in My Fitness Pal - 01.01.17

2) Start Couch to 5K program - 01.02.17

3) Use the Withings and Apple Health apps for accountability - 01.01.17

Food:

1) Core Power Light chocolate shakes for Breakfast - I like them slightly frozen/slushy

2) Protein based Snacks and fresh veggies such as fresh mozzarella, P3 packs, light string cheese, carrots, etc.

3) Protein based meals

4) 3 meals and 3 Snacks per day

5) Measure food

Exercise:

1) Begin C25K program on Monday 01.02.17

2) Exercise 5 days per week

3) Walk at lunch 3 days per week

Tracking and Accountability:

1) Track all food eaten and calories in My Fitness Pal

2) Track Water in My Fitness Pal

3) Weigh each morning

4) Use Withings scale and health apps to track weight, health and sleep activity

4) Use Apple Health app to track physical activity including calories burned, heart rate, 30 minutes minimum activity per day, standing 1 minute per hour for 12 hours and focused breathing several times per day

Goals:

1) Weigh daily

2) Exercise 5 days per week for a minimum of 30 minutes per day

3) Eat 1500 (or less) calories per day

4) Drink 4 to 6 eight ounce glasses of Water per day

5) Update progress on this thread each Sunday

Life IS good. Enjoy and give thanks.

S.

UPDATE:

Weight:

01.01.17 - 271

01.08.17 - 269.4 (loss - 1.4 pounds)

Exercise:

C25K - started 01.02.17

Exercised 5 out of 7 days

Tracked health, exercise and sleep through Withings and Apple Health apps

Food:

Logged into MFP 8 days

Did not stay within 1500 calories but did count everything

Drank as much water as I could. I am going to take this goal out as I truly do doing as much as I can and I always have a 20 ounce bottle with me - even in meetings as work. Ever since my surgery, I can't 'guzzle' water even after a work out, but I do stay hydrated.

Did not measure food.

Overall - a decent start to the New Year with a loss of 1.4 pounds.

Life IS good. Enjoy and give thanks.

S.

Hey all! I totally needed this. Everyone has me super pumped. I had the gastric bypass in October 2015 with my starting wt of 278 lbs. It took me a little over a year and I got down to 166 lbs which is my lowest wt thus far. I felt amazing at 166 lbs then life happened and all my bad habits crept back into my life and I gained 20 lbs in one year. When I went to my PCP she said "wow you've gained 20 lbs in a year, I don't want you to be like all my other patients that had the gastric bypass and gained all their weight back". That statement kind of killed me and made me fill so ashamed but I'm happy she said it because something has to change. So I got back on track on 1/2/17!!! I'm planning on eating low carb, working out 3-4 times per week with a personal trainer and make this forum a daily must read to keep me motivated!!! Good luck to everyone!

1/2/17: Wt 186.3

1/8/17: Wt 181.3

Awesome, great results so far!!!! Each week I'll post a focus question for everyone to ponder and talk about in your posts!

THIS WEEK's FOCUS: What is the one thing that has been the most challenging for you (IE: what is the one thing that has kept you from getting back on track prior to this challenge)???

For me it has been consuming more calories in a 24 hour period than i did post surgery. For the first year I did great but then started a different job. At first I did ok, stuck to my Protein and was really good. Then little by little I started slipping. I can actually tell you all that the week it all changed was the week prior to Halloween 2016. I took a soda to work with me. And then I did it again, and again...the ONE thing that I think made the difference in all this was my soda addiction. So this week I'm focused on giving it up completely and finally. It's very hard for me, but I know it will be done! I did it before, I'll do it again!

As the saying goes, "summer bodies are made in the winter".

CW: 149.9

Goal: 132.9

1/8/17: 142.5

Regarding this week's question, my response is probably different than most. I have stayed on plan. This was a planned weight gain period and I am now on a planned weight loss period. I am a bodybuilding fan and planned periods of bulking and cutting are part of the of the work to change your physique. That said, I absolutely effed up this bulk, it was my first and it confirmed that I am an abstainer and not a moderator. I have to have a structured eating plan to gain or lose weight otherwise it will be a food free for all. So while I now put in the work to get off the fat off, I do not think I gained any appreciable level of muscle during my bulk.

Is it too late to join in?

I had the sleeve in aug 2015. Lowest weight was 142 in June 2016 and now I back up to 149 goal was originally 135,

New career I sit all day- I quit working out as I have had some sciatic nerve issues the last 4 months, and was told to take it easy.

I want to get down those 7 lbs and maybe even hit goal

No, everybody is welcome! please join us

so today's weight still 198, no loss......I confess I am a little bummed, but my goals from last week:

Highest weight 260

Surgery weight 251

Goal weight 140

lowest weight 178

current weight 198

so first goal is to get back to the lowest weight of 178. baby steps

this week my goal is to track everything, drink at least 8 glasses of Water, don't drink with meals and eat Protein servings first.

I give myself a 90% on those goals, so for this week I will keep those goals and strive to get to 99% and add a goal

to concentrate on less carbs even if they fit in my calories.

I have restarted so many times, I think its the slippery slope thinking, I will have just one bite of this, combined with being surrounded by poor eaters...

Official weigh in this morning 150.8