Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band removal and possible sleeve revision in the morning

I had my Lap Band put in 13 years ago by one of the most experienced band surgeons of the time. I did lose a decent amount of weight with it (around 140 lbs!) and for a while I loved the band. However, I've been living unfilled for several years now because of a band slippage, and subsequently regained 70 lbs. or so.

I am excited about getting the band removed, because I am tired of the problems it has caused, but so scared about the sleeve revision. I am scared of suffering any more problems - because I have indeed SUFFERED a lot from the band.

My port site has always been tender (it was worst when I was at my lowest weight since there was less "padding"), so I had pain from that on a daily basis for most of the time I had the band. While I was pregnant, it was extremely painful at times but in a weird way the stretching of the pregnancy seemed to break up some scar tissue and now it doesn't hurt as much.

I have reflux at night even with the band unfilled.

I have pain and a sense of fullness in my chest at times from the band.

Back when the band was filled, I had so many episodes of food getting stuck - sometimes resulting in hours of pain as I waited for the food to pass.

I am grateful that the band is reversible. I am grateful that, while the complications have been unpleasant, at least they can be fixed and won't kill me. I know I am better off than some of the pioneers of weight loss surgery who suffered much worse complications and even died.

But, still, I am disappointed it turned out this way. Back when I got the band, I did a LOT of research. I read journal articles about the Australian experience with the band, since it was available in Australia for some time before it came to America. At the time, the information coming out of Australia made the band look good as a viable long term option. I was part of some support group email lists where most people seemed to be doing well and complications were rare.
Yet, in spite of all that reassurance, now we know that the lap band operation turns out badly for most people who have it.

That's why I have a hard time trusting that the sleeve is any better. I see the sleeve has a lot of positive stories and data, but so did the band back when I had it done.

A part of me wants to tell my surgeon I have decided to cancel the sleeve plan and just want her to take the band out.

And yet, there is a part of me that feels like I should take the chance on the sleeve. Realistically, I know I will never lose that much weight again on my own without some help - statistically, that just doesn't happen for the vast majority of fat people. I know obesity kills. I know that IF the sleeve goes well and IF I lose weight again, I will be a much happier and healthier person. It's just that if the sleeve doesn't go well, I'm afraid that it could ruin my life. The one good thing about the band is that at least it IS something that can be taken out.

So often on bariatric sites, I see people focused only on weight loss.

My experience with the band has taught me that quality of life means a lot more to me than pounds lost. I would be happier living as a normal fat person than suffering any more bariatric surgery complications.

In a way, it will be kind of a relief to me if the surgeon decides she can't do the sleeve and just takes the band out since then the decision will be out of my hands. However, deep down, I still have hope that maybe I will be as fortunate as some of the happy sleeve people on here.

I hope to update all of you about how it goes once I feel up to it. Prayers and positive thoughts are definitely appreciated if you are so inclined. :)

Edited by DecemberSleeve

It will be great to ditch that bad band.

You are worried about issues with the Sleeve, but you have a LOT of issues (and weight regain) with that damn band right now.

The Sleeve life very well may be the way to go. Good luck!

Thoughts and prayers ????. Let me know how it goes. I'm just about in same boat

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Coming up on my 10 year bandiversary, and I am removing a slipped band and getting a sleeve on January 4. So, I can complete relate to your feelings. As a self pay, and having to have my lap band fixed 6 times already in the past. Replacing snapped band, fixing flipped/disconnected port after each pregnancy, moving port from belly to chest (ugh!!!) and back to belly. And now slipped. Years of not being able to eat a salad when I want a salad or vegetables and fruits - most of which I haven't been able to eat for years - I originally said I am done just get rid of the band and I will do weight watchers. Then I thought some more and reflected. I decided I need to give the sleeve a go. If it doesn't work for me, I am done with surgeries. When my band wasn't broken I was a star patient, lost weight effortlessly - really! But the stupid thing breaks every year one way or another. So I am done fixing it. One thing I have learned, I was sold that the band would be "for life". With as fickle and fragile as my band has been, there is no way I would have it for life. If the doc got in there and said he couldn't do the sleeve, I wouldn't be devastated. But, I also feel like I should give it another shot without having a contraption that can break so easily.

Thanks for the supportive comments. I did go through with getting sleeved. The first day, I felt lousy enough that I felt like I had made a mistake, but once I got past the initial nausea, grogginess, and soreness from being freshly post-op things have been much better. I am feeling much more optimistic now. Fingers crossed that things continue on a positive path!

Now that I am bouncing back from the surgery, I feel SO much better than I did prior to surgery and I am really glad I went through with it despite my anxiety. The constant GERD after the band slipped was horrible, and while I know that I might have GERD in the future with the sleeve, I hope and pray that the sleeve never causes GERD that bad again. I also had this constant sensation of being "aware" of the band and while it wasn't unpleasant exactly, it feels more "normal" now that I have the sleeve. I think this is how it felt back when I had a normal stomach - easy to just forget about my stomach.

I also now realize that the pain I was having in my neck and shoulder that my PCP and I both thought was due to a pinched nerve must have actually been referred pain from the band, since it is now significantly improved with the band removal.

Edited by DecemberSleeve

Glad things went well. I am seriously thinking of a revision. Was your process the same as your initial surgery...such as required documents to show attempts of losing weight, seeing many professionals prior to (psych, nut), and the length of time in general ( initial interest to surgery date)?

I have been researching revision for days and was hoping to get more info!!

I got a band in 2006. It caused me nothing but trouble for 10 yrs. We could never get the fill right so I had it completely unfilled in 2007. Even with no fill I had problems with food getting so stuck I would have to throw up to dislodge it. I often ate around the band just so I could eat. I finally decided in 2016 that I had enough and pursued getting my band removed and revised to the sleeve. My band was removed in November. After a month to heal I was sleeved December 29. I'm happy I got the revision.

DD

Glad things went well. I am seriously thinking of a revision. Was your process the same as your initial surgery...such as required documents to show attempts of losing weight, seeing many professionals prior to (psych, nut), and the length of time in general ( initial interest to surgery date)?

My insurance didn't require a lot other than proving the band had failed. An upper GI showed mine had slipped. My surgeon required a visit with psych, nut, exercise physiologist and a bariatrician. The bariatrician was to get me on a diet plan to lose weight pre surgery. The whole process started September 22 and I was sleeved December 29. Insurance approval for removal took 7 days. Insurance approval for the sleeve took 2 weeks.

I'm a band to sleever! I had my band removed and a sleeve with duodenal switch done on 12/26! So far I love it! I'd would be happy to chat!

Katy W- Louisburg, NC

Lapband revision to VSG with DS

HW- 297

Weight at Surgery-279

CW- will update at two week appt

Band to Sleeve 12/21/2016! Two weeks out and I am very happy, tomorrow is my NUT appointment and I hope to move on to puréed foods. Ever since I started blended Soups for my meal I get nauseous for about 15-20 min after eating 1/2 -3/4 cup. I try to take it slow, I try to not eat high acidity soups... and mostly homemade. Any of you guys feel like that?

My insurance didn't require a lot other than proving the band had failed. An upper GI showed mine had slipped. My surgeon required a visit with psych, nut, exercise physiologist and a bariatrician. The bariatrician was to get me on a diet plan to lose weight pre surgery. The whole process started September 22 and I was sleeved December 29. Insurance approval for removal took 7 days. Insurance approval for the sleeve took 2 weeks.
Wow, you had to go through insurance twice...removal and of course the sleeve. Great info! It's all coming together! Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G925V using the BariatricPal App

I was lucky that my insurance company approved me easily without any kind of fight just on the basis that the band had slipped. The surgeon who did my sleeve works with a nutritionist so it was standard protocol to see the nutritionist just to talk about what the diet would be like with a sleeve, but that was it. No psych eval, no attempt to lose weight preoperatively, or any other kind of rigamarole. That was a relief, since I did fine with the band WHILE the band worked. It wasn't my fault that the band decided to slip.

Edited by DecemberSleeve