Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

300+ Weight Capacity Roller Skates?

Want to get into roller skating and one day, would love to be conditioned enough for roller derby ❤️ I've looked at tons of skates online and most seem to not hold 300+ Anyone have good experience with some? I like the idea of starting with the type that strap onto your shoe, seems like the most comfortable/stable...

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I cannot help with the skate question - sorry. But I wanted to say YEAH to the Rollerderby thing. It is so much fun! I will also consider going back when my fitness level goes up.

I've dabbled in derby myself. I've seen some pretty ample girls on skates, there's got to be a pair out there. My Riedell Darts are a good, durable starter skate. If you are near a skate shop, they can recommend which wheels to put on them (I replaced my wheels not long after getting my skates). They may also be able to recommend a good plate that would accommodate weight. I'm a firm believer in not letting weight stop you from derby--we need ladies of all sizes on the track! Strap on skates sound like a good idea, but as a skater myself, I'd be scared to death those things would fly off. You want reliable footing and control and a good skate with a good plate and wheels can give you that. Hope it helps.

AND ....as you lose weight, you can change out plates and wheels. :)

I've dabbled in derby myself. I've seen some pretty ample girls on skates, there's got to be a pair out there. My Riedell Darts are a good, durable starter skate. If you are near a skate shop, they can recommend which wheels to put on them (I replaced my wheels not long after getting my skates). They may also be able to recommend a good plate that would accommodate weight. I'm a firm believer in not letting weight stop you from derby--we need ladies of all sizes on the track! Strap on skates sound like a good idea, but as a skater myself, I'd be scared to death those things would fly off. You want reliable footing and control and a good skate with a good plate and wheels can give you that. Hope it helps.

AND ....as you lose weight, you can change out plates and wheels. :)

Great advice, thanks! Will visit a shop.

I cannot help with the skate question - sorry. But I wanted to say YEAH to the Rollerderby thing. It is so much fun! I will also consider going back when my fitness level goes up.

You won't find a more supportive and fun group of women than you will in Roller Derby...believe me, I have tried other sports and they just don't compare. And it's an excellent workout. If you can skate one lap, they can work with you. Give it a shot. :)

It sounds like so much fun but I'm scared of getting my bootie handed to me lol!! I haven't skated in years either. Do they really get physical?

You won't find a more supportive and fun group of women than you will in Roller Derby...believe me, I have tried other sports and they just don't compare. And it's an excellent workout. If you can skate one lap, they can work with you. Give it a shot. :)
I have done derby here in Norway. The community in my town is really small but I loved it. As I piled the weight on skating became too hard. So I plan on going back. I am a little bit to anxious for bouts but I love the skating and training ????

It sounds like so much fun but I'm scared of getting my bootie handed to me lol!! I haven't skated in years either. Do they really get physical?

you have to 'graduate' the beginners' program before the physical stuff starts. :) If you're just starting out, you just learn the basics. It takes a few months before you work on contact. You are taught how to fall and how to make contact (once you graduate, of course). And you have on helmet, wrist guards, knee pads, and mouth guard..even just learning the beginner stuff to keep you safe. But yes it is a contact sport! But you leave it on the rink and go out and party with the other team after a bout. :)

I have done derby here in Norway. The community in my town is really small but I loved it. As I piled the weight on skating became too hard. So I plan on going back. I am a little bit to anxious for bouts but I love the skating and training

I LOVED the skating too! I am not a fast runner, so skating is my only means of EVER going fast. Our derby team (the Dixie Derby Girls) have been in Huntsville for 10 years, and we even have a junior team for young ladies under 18. I love how derby is growing all over the world. I've considered just being an official once I get good enough, but I want to get on the team for at least one season. Good luck to you @mile80 !

you have to 'graduate' the beginners' program before the physical stuff starts. :) If you're just starting out, you just learn the basics. It takes a few months before you work on contact. You are taught how to fall and how to make contact (once you graduate, of course). And you have on helmet, wrist guards, knee pads, and mouth guard..even just learning the beginner stuff to keep you safe. But yes it is a contact sport! But you leave it on the rink and go out and party with the other team after a bout. :)

That sounds pretty amazing!! I'm going to look into it here and see what I find! Thank you!