Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Happy Holidays from BariatricPal! - December 2016

style="margin:0;padding:0;background-color:#d8dde8;color:#5a5a5a;font:normal 13px helvetica, arial, sans-serif;position:relative;">

Hey BariatricPal Members!

Merry Christmas, and Happy Hanukah to our Jewish friends! Season’s Greetings for those of you who are not celebrating a holiday now – it’s still a festive time when everyone can enjoy the uplifting spirit around town. As we near the end of a long season of tempting food, you may need a little help getting back on track or staying on track. Here are our offerings.

• Weight Loss on Christmas? A Personal Challenge
  • Breaking the Slump: Make a Healthy Choice Now!
  • The Holidays, Your Family, and Weight Loss Surgery

Hopefully this newsletter can help you keep your weight loss goals in mind and give you a little push to inch closer to hitting them. After reading the newsletter and spending some quality time with your loved ones, don’t forget to head on over to the BariatricPal Forums so you can share your tips and ideas with all of the BariatricPal members! Merry Christmas!

Sincerely,

Alex Brecher

Founder, BariatricPal

Weight Loss on Christmas? A Personal Challenge

The weight loss surgery journey itself is a bumpy road, and recent weeks may have been even tougher as the holiday spirit has taken over. High-calorie, fatty, sugary foods have been everywhere, and gift shopping, family obligations, and holiday parties may have been eating into the time you might otherwise have spent exercising or planning healthy meals.

So, what do you say to a challenge to lose weight this Christmas? The idea may sound crazy, but it is actually possible if you try hard. Here are our suggestions for a weight loss Christmas Day.

Christmas dinner the WLS Way

The totals for a full-blown Christmas dinner can be somewhere between staggering and horrifying. You yourself may have indulged in a few such dinners in the past. Between the ham or turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, casseroles, and Desserts, plus some alcohol and a bit of nibbling on appetizers and nuts, you can have 5,000 or more calories on this single day. Yuck – that’s 1.5 pounds of fat!

Here is a more reasonable Christmas Day scenario to consider.

Breakfast:

Meet ‘n’ Greet Appetizers

• 1 cup fresh cut vegetables with yogurt-based dip (100 calories)
  • Red, white, and green Christmas skewers with cherries, peeled apples or pears, and green grapes. (100 calories)
  • chocolate Coated Protein Puffs Soy Snacks (150 calories)

Christmas Dinner

• 3 ounces of ham or skinless turkey or duck breast with mustard (150 calories)
  • Green bean frittata – a high-protein, low-calorie substitute for green bean casserole (100 calories)
  • Green salad with Light Dressing
  • ½ cup pureed sweet potatoes sprinkled lightly with crushed pecans and sugar (or honey or low-calorie sugar substitute) (200 calories)
  • 1 medium baked apple with cinnamon, served with light or sugar-free whipped topping (150 calories)

Later Snacks

(Don’t forget to use coupon code BPNEWSLETTER10 for a 10% discount of your first order!)

Savor Your Treat

Don’t forget to leave room for a treat. That’s right, even WLS patients deserve a treat. Just make sure:

• It’s one that you really, really want.
  • You can tolerate it (some treats are too sugary or fatty for your post-op digestive system, and even a small serving can make you feel sick).
  • You take only a small amount and count the calories.

In the sample Christmas Day menu shown above, there is room for another 200 to 400 calories from your treat while still staying under 1,500 to 1,800 for the day. Those calories can get you any two of the following:

• A half-cup of mashed potatoes with gravy.
  • A half-cup of bread or rice-based stuffing.
  • A 1-inch sliver of pecan, pumpkin, or another kind of pie.
  • A small square of fudge.
  • A small dinner roll with a pat of butter.
  • A half-cup of eggnog.

Get Moving, for So Many Reasons

It’s a busy day, but surely you can find a few minutes to get in a short walk or workout. There are so many reasons to get moving in the morning or during the day.

• Burn calories and boost metabolism.
  • Keep yourself motivated as you notice how good it feels to get moving rather than eat.
  • Take time away from the food because when you are walking, you are not eating.
  • Bond with your children, nieces, or nephews; with your out of town relatives; or with your significant other.

Breaking the Slump: Make a Healthy Choice Now!

One bad day of eating does not make a habit, but a six-week period does. A skipped workout or two doesn’t get you out of shape, but a month of inactivity makes you sluggish. A single bad weigh-in is no cause for alarm, but a few weeks of climbing numbers is reason to take heed.

The time between Thanksgiving and Christmas can put you in a weight loss slump. Over time, your can get weaker and those poor decisions can get easier. While a bite of a cookie might have made you feel guilty in early November, the whole cookie and a second one may be par for the course now.

Snap out of it! It is time to get out your slump. If the thought of reversing all those bad habits at once is too much, take heart. You can put yourself on the right path with a single decision. One good decision can increase your confidence and lead to more good decisions. You could:

• Make your own 200-calorie Breakfast sandwich with Protein Pancakes, a fat-free slice of cheese, and egg whites instead of hitting the drive-through for a 500-calorie breakfast biscuit.
  • Schedule a short walk with a neighbor – no backing out!
  • Log your food for a day, no matter how bad you know the numbers will be.
  • Step on the scale if you’ve been avoiding it.

How will you break your slump?

The Holidays, Your Family, and Weight Loss Surgery

As hard as the food and lifestyle around the holidays may be for you as a weight loss surgery patient, your family can make things even harder. You can prevent them from knocking you off your game by being prepared for what to expect and how to handle it.

Problem: Pressure to Go Off Your Diet

Saying no is just one of those things you have to learn how to do in life. Refusing your relatives’ offer of freshly baked Christmas bread or Christmas Cookies made “just for you” is difficult. They may feel that you are rejecting them. Practicing ahead of time can help.

A simple, “No, thanks” can do wonders, and it leaves no room for argument. You could elaborate with variations such as “No, thanks, I’m not hungry,” “No, thanks, my doctor says I can’t eat that anymore,” or, “Not right now, thanks. It’s already great to get to see you!”

Problem: Unwanted Comments on Your Weight or Weight Loss

If you got your WLS in the past year, you may have dropped several pounds since relatives from out of town saw you. They may be overly reactive to your weight loss. Or, they could have the opposite reaction and say something discouraging about how they expected you to lose more weight by now. Whatever they say, do not let them throw you off your game.

Problem: Lack of Acceptance of Your WLS

They are not living your life, and they do not know exactly what you have gone through. A lack of understanding about what WLS is and how a WLS lives can inspire negative comments. You can choose to ignore them, or try to explain your WLS to them. You can also try to include them in your routine, such as inviting them on a walk or asking for their help in your kitchen while they’re in town. You can grow closer and develop a better understanding.

Again, Happy Holidays! Enjoy this special time with family and friends, and make it a safe and healthy time for yourself and your loved ones. Thanks for spending some time with the newsletter, and we look forward to seeing you on the forums!

· Unsubscribe from all BariatricPal E-Mail.
open.php?u=14368495&id=c98503be463a44f98

Thank you for the tips! Merry Christmas and happy holidays to you Alex and staff! ^^

Happy Holiday Season and a life-changing new year to all!