Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

AZ Self-Pay?

Hello!

Has anyone self-paid for a sleeve in Phoenix or Tucson (not looking to go to Mexico even though AZ is so close to the border)? If so what was the total cost, who was your surgeon, the office name, and the hospital where the surgery took place?

Thanks!

I did except I had insurance so I couldn't give you an exact price. I went to the Weight Loss Institute of Arizona. My doctor was Dr. Ho. The hospital I went to was Banner Estrella Hospital.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I am self pay in Phoenix. I am using Evolve Weight Loss, Dr. Shawn Stevenson. I think price varies depending upon your situation. I am having a hernia repaired at the same time, so my insurance pays for a tiny bit of the fee. Very tiny! I am paying around $11,000.

I did self pay with Dr. Daniel Fang through the Bridges Center. St. Lukes Phoenix has a flat rate for self-pay and it was $13200 for the sleeve. I have not been billed the surgeon's and anesthesiologists fees but I estimate them to total around $3000.

I called WLIA for an estimate and I was told self-pay rate would be about $20,000.

Yikes! I wonder if some of the price difference is dependent on whether or not you are doing this out-patient. My sleeve, scheduled for Jan. 17, will be out-patient. It seems most of the posts I've seen on here indicate a 2-3 day hospital stay is the norm. I am assuming if this was unsafe to do out-patient, they wouldn't do it. Or so I hope! :unsure:

I called WLIA for an estimate and I was told self-pay rate would be about $20,000.

Yikes! I wonder if some of the price difference is dependent on whether or not you are doing this out-patient. My sleeve, scheduled for Jan. 17, will be out-patient. It seems most of the posts I've seen on here indicate a 2-3 day hospital stay is the norm. I am assuming if this was unsafe to do out-patient, they wouldn't do it. Or so I hope! :unsure:

Thanks all for the feedback. I was wondering about out-patient vs. in-patient too. Personally I would probably want at least one night in the hospital, just because I tend to get dehydrated easily.

In Tucson I was quoted just over $18,000 with Dr. Chiasson for self-pay, hence why I am looking at Phoenix too. I'll probably look into Evolve. I was looking at their website and they seem to advertise ways to finance self-pay.

Another question - if I end up self-paying I'm assuming I would still need to see a psychologist and nutritionist for evaluations, get lab work and an EGD, but would I then not need to complete 6 months of medically supervised dieting?

The six months of prep is only an insurance requirement. You shouldn't have to do that if you're self pay. I thought the six months was frustrating. I just had my sleeve done at Honor Health, Scottsdale. I had insurance but they do take self pays also. They will give you all the rates if you call. But lots of options in AZ. I have friends who had it done at Tru Results with self pay and financing.

Another question - if I end up self-paying I'm assuming I would still need to see a psychologist and nutritionist for evaluations, get lab work and an EGD, but would I then not need to complete 6 months of medically supervised dieting?

Correct as far as I understand it. My dr. said he has about 30% of patients self-pay to avoid all the insurance company hoops. And he said the 6 month diet is most definitely an unnecessary hoop which is only there in the insurance companies' hopes that people will give up and not pursue the operation. It has zero bearing on whether surgery will be successful.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Thanks all for the feedback. I am hoping to have surgery sooner than later (due to job issues, and a possible career change this summer), paying myself since insurance likely won't cover even if I do the 6 months of dieting anyways.