Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can't eat certain foods 2 years post op?!

I had my sleeve over 2 years ago. I started at 287 and weighed in at 268 the day of surgery. Lost 70lbs within 4 months and sadly gained back 45lbs!! In the last yearSmh....I have had a huge issue as far as dieting. Since my sleeve I cannot eat alot of foods. Mainly the ones I need the most. I can't have any fruit (I was already allergic pre-op but still was always able to eat them just got allergic reaction), I cant eat onions, peppers, tomatoes, lettuce , corn (which i LOVE) and many other vegetables and foods I loved pre-op. All those things will ruin my meal at any given time. I have tried eating slowly i have retried so many times to keep them down I just can't!! Even thinking about eating any of those things just seriously makes me sick. I cannot include any of those in my meal or else it will come right back up. I tried training my body and will hold the nausea in but I eventually within minutes after eating always throw up. I also vomit randomly after eating sometimes I just dont know what went wrong. I know about 15 other close friends who have done the surgery and none have this problem. It is soo frustrating to know i went through prepping myself for months before surgery and prepapring for a new healthy lifestyle, healing and taking time out to tend to all my surgery needs both pre and post op and now its all for nothing. I want to know if anyone else experiences this as well??? Any suggestions???

P.S. I went back for follow up appointments and was told it may be the acidic foods but really?? All of them?? I dont know what else to do.

Edited by Beedee90

May I ask how you gained it back? Was it eating junk food, too much food, too many times a day? I am so sorry this happened, But I would love to learn from you if you are willing to share.

I'm confused why your forcing yourself to eat things your allergic to? Tomatoes has a lot of sugar and acid, corn is not really healthy. Maybe your body is doing you a favor by rejecting these foods.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

May I ask how you gained it back? Was it eating junk food, too much food, too many times a day? I am so sorry this happened, But I would love to learn from you if you are willing to share.

Yes I am an open person. Basically i got a job where I was a delivery driver. I would pick up and pay for food from all kinda of places. Slowly but surely I did start to purchase food as well as customer orders because I live in NYC which has great eats. So the mixture of fast foods, casual dining foods, fine dining foods and sitting in my car for 9hrs a day and not finding time for the gym anymore got me back here. Yes junk because being on the road all day i was always grabbing fast foods or Snacks. I left the job about 4 months ago and im not gaining anymore but ive only lost about 7lbs.

I'm confused why your forcing yourself to eat things your allergic to? Tomatoes has a lot of sugar and acid, corn is not really healthy. Maybe your body is doing you a favor by rejecting these foods.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

My allergic reaction consists of itching of my mouth, lips, gums and for strawberries my throat swells up bt only for strawberries. Also could u imagine never being able to eat any fruit ever again?? I have a 5yr old so when im cutting his fruit i sometimes take a bite or slice and have a slight 1 minute reation. So its not that im eating a full apple or anything. Also i wasnt always allergic these allergies developed over time. It started with an orange and then everytime i ate a fruit i would discover it over the years as i went along until i realized its all fruit. I just put that in there to say pre-op my body was able to tolerate them now just smelling fruit will make me nauseous or vomit smh. Also its not only corn its mostly every vegetable its very weird to me. For example when i was pre-op i didnt like evry vegetable, but i was able to force myself to eat salads and a lot of things that didnt taste good at all to me because i knew it was healthy. Now if i would dare try to do anything like that i ruin my meal. Many times i will buy a sandwich or be out to eat and ill be okay and 5 mins later my body will reject food. And because of this i went to Snacks which are no good because theyre "slider" foods which also contribued to my weight gain.

This is opinion only, but you need to see someone local to you like an allergist. My professional occupation is woodworking. I have seen and spoken with a number of woodworkers over the years who have developed allergies to wood dust. It usually starts out with one or two species. Those who ignore the symptoms and continue on with using those species often find it generalizes to more and more species. They also see an increase in the severity of symptoms. This may be what is happening to you with some of your food allergies. Get thee to an allergist or a nutritionist and map out a strategy for getting back on track.