Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did You Change Your Weight Loss/Maintenance Goals for the Holidays?

It seems like everything gets out of whack around holiday time. There is too much food everywhere. The food is too high in sugar and fat. The food is too delicious to pass up. There is too much pressure to eat it.

Furthermore, there can be so much stress that your good intentions are too much to keep up. You may not have enough time or energy to work out as you normally do, or to cook the healthy meals you know you need.

In short, it’s hard to lose weight this time of year!

So, do you change your weight loss goals for the holidays? Sometimes, it makes sense to change your goals to maintaining your current weight loss instead of reaching for more. For other people, it seems more productive to keep those high weight loss standards, even if you do not quite hit your goals.

How do you approach goal setting during the holiday season?

I'll go first :)

I'm still in losing mode, only 6 months out...I've lost almost 80 and have about 35 lbs to go. Baked goods, all the Cookies, pies and cakes are my Achilles heel always, so this time of year feels particularly fraught with food dangers for me. I thought it over long and hard and decided that I'm going to buckle down and keep on plan. I'm really worried that if I allow myself those easy, slider carbs that I won't be able to get myself back in hand in January and I'm not going to live like that again. June was the beginning of a new, healthier possibility for me and it's just not worth screwing up for some snickerdoodles and cheesecake.

We attend a LOT of social functions because of my husband's job, so I've had many opportunities to practice at buffet tables and receptions during the last 6 months. I've learned to find the Protein, eat just enough to look 'normal' and sip on a wine/seltzer combo for the duration. It's worked well so far so I'm just doing the same, avoiding the dessert table and enjoying wearing a much smaller size and much higher heels :) Looking good definitely tastes better than scalloped potatoes!

I'm not that far out so my desires may be different next year. It hasn't been difficult to stay on my plan for the most part. My dad works for Harry and David where they have some amazing goodies. I'm allowing myself one evil chocolate covered cherry a day which I've only done twice even though they have been here since Thanksgiving. I also have had 2 pieces of my wife's amazing (damn near angelic) fudge. A piece of Andes mint fudge and a piece of pumpkin pie fudge.

I do image that when next year rolls around that I might have a piece of pumpkin roll too but we'll see. That roll is addictive and I didn't want to be like a vampire and develop "the taste" for crack in pumpkin form.

I haven't changed my goals at all and I am keeping myself in check.

But I definitely have a plan every time I know I'm going to be in a position where there is going to be food.

For my potlucks I am bringing amazing - but Bariatric friendly - dishes so I know I have something to eat. Otherwise I am the cook for holiday meals so it's easy enough to plan.

For parties I've been asking about the menu ahead of time "so I can bring the right wine"

Today was my birthday and I planned to have a tiny (1 inch) piece of tiramisu. That was the plan - I stuck to it - and the leftovers went in the garbage as soon as the company left.

I feel satisfied - both with my treat and with how I handled it.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

My original plan was to have Thanksgiving and Christmas be dessert days - and screw the protein! And I did indulge in Desserts on Thanksgiving -- many, many Desserts, but in small portions and if it wasn't knock your socks off great, I only ate one bite of that particular item. Now this Christmas I find myself in the position of needing to lose a little over 3 lbs. to drop below 200 lbs. by the end of year. So, no, I'm sticking to plan as hard as possible and will enjoy a break late in January for my birthday.

I was sticking to my goals. I've been good, no sweets, nothing but my 10 day stall is causing me to revise my goals anyway. Really annoying since I haven't indulged in all the temptations been on vacation for 4 days now. This is when things get really tough...when I want to say f-it. I might as well have some...

I've been having a hard time. Not with goodies per se, but just hungry. I absolutely HATE Christmas and always have, even as a kid. In fact, September through February, it's all I can do to get out of bed each day. Decorations are put up just to see the smile on my grand-daughter's face. She is Autistic and is a stickler for tradition!! I'm just trying my best to at least not regain any more weight during this time. I ordered myself a Fitbit and am going to start walking, hoping it will help my energy, mood and hunger!