Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Running

Now that I am at goal, I want to challenge myself more. I work out every day. 3 days a week I weight lift, everyday walk, bike or elliptical. I also do yoga and Zumba at least once a week. I would like to start running or at least jogging. I've always been scared and paranoid that my knees will give out and I'll fall. I haven't ran since I was a teenager in gym class, I'm now 53. Any suggestions on how to start and get over my paranoia of falling? I really would like to eventually run in a marathon at least once in my lifetime.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Couch to 5k is a great app that eases you into running a 5k. I have used that and Zombie 5k which works on the same principle.

Congrats on getting to your goal weight. My journey has just started. 3 wks post op.

Edited by Hazel_eyez

Thank you, I will check out those apps. Good luck to you on your new journey, it's wild ride! But one that was so worth it ❤️

The apps are talked about so often that they must be good. You can also see if there's a Road Runners Club of America (just call it Road Runners Club) chapter in your town. They probably have beginners' classes. The instructors are knowledgeable and encouraging. The group setting is fun. Decades ago I signed up with NYRR. Classes started the evening in a public school for warm up and info. Then we'd go out into Central Park for the actual run portion. The first week involved alternating one minute of walking with one of running for however long. I (we) did our homework until the next class, when we advanced to one minute of walking alternated with two of running. One thing you want to know about is how to avoid shin splints, which are hell, and what to do if you get them (you can't run through them as you do with ordinary sore muscles after other exercise; they need to be rested, etc.)..

Have fun.

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

Running for weight loss! SO good... never thought I would be able to build up to a point where I could run that much. It's also interval training which is really good for you

@@WLSResources/ClothingExch

Thanks for the info, I'll look into that club. I know we have a boot camp club in our area but haven't heard of the road runners, sounds perfect for me!

@@jackieemac

I never thought I would even consider trying to run, but it's been on my mind now for a while now and I feel the need to try something new ! Thanks for responding

@@cdsjjotn

" we have a boot camp club in our area but haven't heard of the road runners, sounds perfect for me!"

The boot camp club must be an excellent option. Once you get started and meet more and more people, you'll probably hear of RRC (duh, especially if you join one near you). The New York club puts on the NYC marathon.

However you get started and get involved, have a great time.

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

Couch to 5k is good. Also, if you pick a shorter fun run or race to start, there are training plans on line. I ran my first 1/2 marathon 2 days before my 1 year surgery anniversary and have run 4 more since then!

@@cdsjjotn I had the same fear about running again...I guess I don't completely trust my body even with so much weight gone? My husband (super fit, runs several times a week, same weight as when we married almost 26 years ago!) suggested that I start out on the treadmill to feel more stable and it really helped! I used the handles for a week or so then ran without using them...now I'm running outside and feel totally comfortable! I think I just needed that little bump to get me out running and out of my own head :)

@@stacyrg2

I just downloaded the app and getting on the treadmill later today to try my first jog/run . Awesome on the marathon(s) !! I hope to catch up to you someday

@@ShelterDog64

Exactly!! I don't trust my body either, I keep telling myself my knee is going to give out, ugh, I'm getting on that treadmill tonight starting walk 1 minute, jog 1 minute, walk 1 minute, run 1 minutes and so on for 30 minutes, hoping this will eliminate my fear after this . I'll be using those handles too

Couch to 5k for sure! Worked my way up to a 5k six months post op, half marathon 10 months post op and full 18 months!

@@cdsjjotn

Congratulation's on goal. Great to see your on to your next adventure.

A good place to start on a treadmill. It has a safety feature. The treadmill will stop if you fall. :). Start with stretching then walking to warm up. Jog a few steps. That way you can feel out how your knees and legs will respond.

Here is an article for beginner's

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/expert-advice-beginners-running-tips/slide/3

@@jenn1

Thank you so much ! I did it today! I did it!! I'm so excited! It took me 30 minutes at the gym to get the courage up, but once I got on the treadmill I was determined. I warmed up for 5 minutes then ran 1 minute walked 1 1/2 minutes and so on for 25 minutes, and I didn't fall!! I even let go of the rail a few times. It felt great and I can't wait to do it again! Although my butt cheeks did feel like they were going to fall off, and I wondered what they looked like as I was running

@@cdsjjotn

Woohoo! a well deserved pat on the back. Were you surprised on how strong you really are? Have fun with your new adventure. Build up as you go, I hope to see you enter a 5K soon.