Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scar tissue causing almost impossible fills 9 yrs post-op

I had Lap-Band Surgery Nov. 2007. I was very successful the first two years. Went from 240 to 160 Lbs. Since then, lack of exercise, resuming bad habits, etc. I've regained almost all of it. I've tried getting back on the band-wagon, but have had very, very difficult fill procedures over the past 3 years. Due to scar tissue, it is very difficult (almost impossible) to get a fill. I have a 10cc band, and am currently filled to 7cc. I'm certain I cannot undergo another fill. Two had to be done through Fluro, needles break, takes approx 3 needles per attempt at fill, etc. My PA is the very best in the area renowned for his abilities to find ports & fill - I really do trust him.

I am now considering revision surgery to a full RNY. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Wow, my surgeon always does fills using a florascope. If you have scar tissue this bad from you gastric band surgery what makes you think you won't have scar tissue with other types of surgery? Are you planning to have a surgeon remove the current scar tissue? If the band worked for you and is still holding fills why not have the scar tissue removed, and keep the band?

Banded 10/12/16

I was revised from band to RNY and couldn't be happier about that choice.

wonder if might happen to sleeved ppl?? like me...?? Im so scare to gain weight, my doc said once you hit 3 yrs you made it!!! Im on my way to my 3rd anniversary next Oct 2017

BariatricMatters

I asked about that, and they told me that removing scar tissue would simply create more scar tissue. I think it's about how my body - specifically - responds to injury. While the band holds fills, I really can't/won't have any more fills. It's just too stressful. I'm left shaking and suffering from an almost PTSD after a fill. And trust me, I'm pretty tolerant to pain.

Edited by Firebolt

Rachel - tell me more about your journey.

Rachel - tell me more about your journey.
I was banded and patiently went in routinely for fills, until my program said they refused to put more saline in (I had a 11 ml band but they stopped at... 9 ml I think? I forget) and that I was on my own because I was a "success" as far as they were concerned. I never had any sort of restriction, just constant pain in my port site.

Had the band removed this spring and the bypass done last month. I've lost 35 lbs in the past 7 weeks.

I had Lap-Band Surgery Nov. 2007. I was very successful the first two years. Went from 240 to 160 Lbs. Since then, lack of exercise, resuming bad habits, etc. I've regained almost all of it. I've tried getting back on the band-wagon, but have had very, very difficult fill procedures over the past 3 years. Due to scar tissue, it is very difficult (almost impossible) to get a fill. I have a 10cc band, and am currently filled to 7cc. I'm certain I cannot undergo another fill. Two had to be done through Fluro, needles break, takes approx 3 needles per attempt at fill, etc. My PA is the very best in the area renowned for his abilities to find ports & fill - I really do trust him.

I had the band close to when you did and like you had issues with it. This past year I had it removed because I got extremely sick. I was throwing up all the time, even with Water and no fill. I'm having the gastric sleeve done this coming Tuesday, December 20th. Maybe consider the sleeve rather than the RYN. You and I are similar sizes and I was told I was on the smaller end of the required BMI and they wouldn't even recommend the RNY because it's best not to reroute the intestines due to malabsorption. Just something to think about. Good Luck!

Im so scare to gain weight, my doc said once you hit 3 yrs you made it!!!

Methinks you're doctor is an idiot for saying that. There is no statute of limitations on weight gain. The three-year mark may indicate good chances for maintaining happily ever after, but that's not at all the same as a guarantee or magic. Maintaining will always require vigilance.

@@Firebolt, alas, all I can offer is good wishes for your research and decision-making.

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

Starting to have issues with my port flipping and I had first painful fill ever. I've been banded 6 yrs. doc said it's time to come as there's a small margin of success after a few years but they didn't know that years ago.

He recommended I have revision to sleeve and I'm starting the process next week.

I also have to have endoscopy done and I so dread that

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

The other thing like you is I've started gaining my weight back. Lost 90lbs with running and weight lifting. Then running injury and boom back gaining.

I had the band close to when you did and like you had issues with it. This past year I had it removed because I got extremely sick. I was throwing up all the time, even with Water and no fill. I'm having the gastric sleeve done this coming Tuesday, December 20th. Maybe consider the sleeve rather than the RYN. You and I are similar sizes and I was told I was on the smaller end of the required BMI and they wouldn't even recommend the RNY because it's best not to reroute the intestines due to malabsorption. Just something to think about. Good Luck!

Hey SpiritedOne,

Just checking to see how you're doing after your recent surgery? I will certainly keep an open mind as I go through this process. I sure hope surgery went smoothly and you're on track for a speedy recovery!

NeeNee717,

I'm sorry you've had the difficult fill & flipped port - that's awful! I also totally understand the defeat of regain after taking control for so long.

Please keep me up to date on your process towards revision.

Merry Christmas!!

Firebolt,

Two days post op and I'm feeling pretty good. I'm hoping I keep getting better each day! Thanks for checking up on me! I hope your able to come to some decisions about what to do soon. Merry Christmas!