Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm struggling with muscle loss.

@@LittleBill Have you been shooting since wls? I had a problem with the fine muscles in my arms. I started using one of those grip thingies and it definitely helped but I'm nowhere near as accurate as I was.

I have, but it has been mostly plinking with either a .22 target pistol or a .45 Colt. Most of it has been at steel targets. The .22s are easy enough to control, and the .45 is a cowboy gun with a very rudimentary sight. But I have noticed I am not quite as deadly accurate as I have been in the past. I can still hit COM pretty regularly, but the groups are larger. I need to get some serious time in with the carry guns, but the weather is precluding that at the moment. There are a couple of indoor ranges, but they are pretty far away and pretty expensive.

Two years out, and I am as accurate as I've always been (former MP, always shot Expert with the .45 and M16).

I will echo everyone's call for getting back to 125g of Protein. But I will add this...get 25g within 30 minutes of the gym. It seems to help with recovery. I happen to like Isopure clear and I drink half of one on my way back from the gym to rehydrate and get the Protein.

I will also echo the fact that you don't have the mass you used to have. I had a box of Christmas stuff I used to be able to move around throw me across the floor because I weigh a third less than the last time I moved it.

Two years out, and I am as accurate as I've always been (former MP, always shot Expert with the .45 and M16).

I will echo everyone's call for getting back to 125g of Protein. But I will add this...get 25g within 30 minutes of the gym. It seems to help with recovery. I happen to like Isopure clear and I drink half of one on my way back from the gym to rehydrate and get the Protein.

I will also echo the fact that you don't have the mass you used to have. I had a box of Christmas stuff I used to be able to move around throw me across the floor because I weigh a third less than the last time I moved it.

I am anticipating a return of accuracy both with practice and recovery. The last time I was out shooting on my own, I was only about a month out from surgery. I am working on me musckles to help make that happen sooner rather than later.

I definitely have the rest of my life to lose weight and I'm doing well. Unfortunately I have a job that has to be done. I'm quite concerned that in two more weeks I will be unable to get up those steps. I will definitely increase my weight lifting!

I don't think you understand me. It's not just heavy lifting. You will need a caloric surplus. That is the exact opposite of where you are now. It is surprising how many calories truly uses. This is a problem that I am dealing with right now. I cannot see, to make any gains on all my lifts. But if I focus on just one chain of movement I can do it. And I am getting about 2000-2500 calories a day and 150-200 grams of Protein a day.

If you are having trouble getting a heavy load up to the top of stairs, I would be focusing on that chain. If you are using a hand truck or just carrying boxes up the stairs, I would recommend deadlifts. If you are two man lifting, squats. Those are two that would be the most beneficial. There are many supplemental lifts you could do, but you would be burning too many calories.

As men, we tend to let our ego or our sense of competition be our guide in the weight room. I know it is difficult, but take it slow and steady. Don't try and do too much too soon.

I definitely have the rest of my life to lose weight and I'm doing well. Unfortunately I have a job that has to be done. I'm quite concerned that in two more weeks I will be unable to get up those steps. I will definitely increase my weight lifting!

I don't think you understand me. It's not just heavy lifting. You will need a caloric surplus. That is the exact opposite of where you are now. It is surprising how many calories truly uses. This is a problem that I am dealing with right now. I cannot see, to make any gains on all my lifts. But if I focus on just one chain of movement I can do it. And I am getting about 2000-2500 calories a day and 150-200 grams of Protein a day.

If you are having trouble getting a heavy load up to the top of stairs, I would be focusing on that chain. If you are using a hand truck or just carrying boxes up the stairs, I would recommend deadlifts. If you are two man lifting, squats. Those are two that would be the most beneficial. There are many supplemental lifts you could do, but you would be burning too many calories.

As men, we tend to let our ego or our sense of competition be our guide in the weight room. I know it is difficult, but take it slow and steady. Don't try and do too much too soon.

I unfortunately do understand the calorie deficit and the lack of a surplus. I have a set of stairs at work that I started playing with by dragging about 50 pounds up the stairs to work those muscles. I would like to take it easy but unfortunately I have a crew of 5 including me when I'm fully staffed and I'm short 2 employees going into our busy season. I truly don't have an option to not do the work. Quite aggravating actually. I've been short-handed all year. Everytime I get one employee I lose another. I truly wish my company paid better and then I could retain employees.

I was bouncing it off my kiddo who's in a sports nutrition program and she says even if you're trying to stay in ketosis you should be getting more carbs in, pushing that upper limit for ketosis, so about 40 to 45g. At a minimum 100g Protein, and calories up in the 1200 to 1400 to maintain the kind of activity you've been describing. You need some deficit for weight loss but too much deficit is detrimental. Her main sports nutrition instructor doesn't approve of ketosis plans, but if that's what your team is saying you'll need to make up the calorie difference with fat and Protein.

sent from mobile device

@@theantichick On top of that, it's how much bad/metallic breath can you/your partner put up with. One of the bad side effects of ketosis is the metallic taste in your mouth and the horrible smelling breath. Sorry, just saying.

@@theantichick On top of that, it's how much bad/metallic breath can you/your partner put up with. One of the bad side effects of ketosis is the metallic taste in your mouth and the horrible smelling breath. Sorry, just saying.

Yeah. I personally can't do ketosis, as it make me incredibly ill for longer than I've been able to muscle through (no pun intended) to see how long it lasts. I've determined I'm just one of those people who doesn't function well on it. I personally tend to think it's not a good long-term eating plan, just because it's a compensatory metabolic system in the body and logically it doesn't seem wise to function in a compensatory system for long, but there seems to be a good deal of evidence that it can benefit at least some people long term. So I try not to bash it.

But one thing that seems to be misunderstood by a lot of people practicing it is that a ketogenic diet is necessarily high in fat. I see a lot of people on this board who are trying to eat VERY low carb and at the same time eat VERY low fat. Of the three macro nutrients, you can only severely restrict one of them at a time with impunity. It makes sense to be careful about the type of fats you're ingesting of course, but the fats have to increase if you're restricting the carbs. It worries me if there are nutritionists and/or surgeons out there preaching this dual restriction because it's harmful.

I'm losing muscle mass as well, but I knew I would. I get 80-90g of Protein daily, but with the calorie restriction it's inevitable that we're going to lose muscle mass. You just have to do what you can do mitigate it somewhat, and that's by getting 90g or more of Protein and weight training. Sounds like you need to boost your protein intake a bit, I'd get some of the flavorless protein like GENEPRO and mix it with things like chili, etc... Or just a drink. It's 30g of protein in one TBSP serving, so it's a big help.

Also, a VERY common misconception on this board is the "carbs are bad, mmkay?" They're not. In fact, a big part of the reason the body catabolizes muscle tissue for energy is a lack of other easy sources. Fat is not an easy source of energy for the body...it's the slowest place for it to pull energy from, actually. Before you lift, you should consume a good amount of carbs. Then protein after. Your body will pull energy from the carbs you ate, and use the protein for muscle maintenance.

The good thing is, muscle has memory and when we reach our weight loss goals and can switch to a slight caloric surplus to add muscle mass, it will come back on more quickly than it would for someone who never had it.

Edited by PorkChopExpress

GENEPRO is crap. You want to have Protein traces in your blood for the check ups, that's fine. You want to maintain or build muscle, use whey.

Sent from my phone. Please forgive brevity and spelling.

GENEPRO is crap. You want to have Protein traces in your blood for the check ups, that's fine. You want to maintain or build muscle, use whey.

Sent from my phone. Please forgive brevity and spelling.

Why do you think GENEPRO is crap. I'm shopping for a flavorless Protein. I'm read reviews but still undecided.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using the BariatricPal App

@@JodiT140 People think that it is crap because their claims defy all known science. If they could actually do what they are claiming it would be all over the scientific comminity. They are taking advantage of the fact most people suck at math and science.

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

Why do you think GENEPRO is crap. I'm shopping for a flavorless Protein. I'm read reviews but still undecided.

GENEPRO claims 30 grams per serving. The only problem is, each serving is 15 grams by volume, and 4 grams by weight. You can't put two pounds of poop in a one pound bag. They claim to reduce the size of the molecules. I can pretty much guarantee if they had that kind of tech, they would be doing something more lucrative than peddling Protein powder.

@@JodiT140 - @@OutsideMatchInside pretty much got it right. According to the makers of GENEPRO, they have reduced the size of the Protein molecule ala "Honey I Shrunk The Kids" magic. Then they say that what they really did was make a Protein that absorbs so fast that it is "like" eating 30 grams of protein. Which again is horseshit.

Another problem I have is that there is no verified independent study of the stuff. There are people on this board that swear by it because their blood test came back good after their 6 month or whatever. However unless you are talking more than a year, that could be from breaking down their own muscle tissue or the fact that they are getting the minimum needed from their diet to be in the normal range. GENEPRO is pretty much just BCAA's (amino acids that build proteins). That would leave protein markers in the bloodstream.

But lets just say for a moment that it did exactly as it advertised. It gave you 30 grams of magical protein with only 90 calories. If you are trying to build muscle, believe it or not you are going to need the calories. You can't build new muscle tissue if you don't have enough raw material to prevent atrophy. Genepro would be of no use to anyone wanting to build muscle because it doesn't contribute to a caloric surplus.

@@JodiT140 - @@OutsideMatchInside pretty much got it right. According to the makers of GENEPRO, they have reduced the size of the Protein molecule ala "Honey I Shrunk The Kids" magic. Then they say that what they really did was make a Protein that absorbs so fast that it is "like" eating 30 grams of protein. Which again is horseshit.

Another problem I have is that there is no verified independent study of the stuff. There are people on this board that swear by it because their blood test came back good after their 6 month or whatever. However unless you are talking more than a year, that could be from breaking down their own muscle tissue or the fact that they are getting the minimum needed from their diet to be in the normal range. GENEPRO is pretty much just BCAA's (amino acids that build proteins). That would leave protein markers in the bloodstream.

But lets just say for a moment that it did exactly as it advertised. It gave you 30 grams of magical protein with only 90 calories. If you are trying to build muscle, believe it or not you are going to need the calories. You can't build new muscle tissue if you don't have enough raw material to prevent atrophy. Genepro would be of no use to anyone wanting to build muscle because it doesn't contribute to a caloric surplus.

Thanks everyone for the good info!!!